Too many toys Vs more pen time.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowsMum

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a lovely house bun called Mellow.
She is unspayed (pandemic willing this will be fixed soon).
She is 5 1/2 months old.

Before she hit maturity she had full run of my 2 bed apartment with 1 of the rooms being pretty much all her apartment from my home working station. She was fully litter trained.

Once she hit maturity she starting humping me and pooping all around me. That then turned into spraying me with pee. If she couldn’t reach me directly she’d spray near me.

She also then started peeing or spraying on our rug in the living room.

The vets still won’t get her book in to spay due to the pandemic.

Due to this I’m going to have to make her spend more time in her pen (she ruined 2 rugs now and my partner is not appreciating this).

It’s a large dog pen, I’ve brought another and will be joining them up.

This is where she will now need to spend the night.

She has lots of boredom breakers but how much is too much? My sister has said I’m putting too much in the cage.

Can you guys suggest any toys that keep your buns busy?

Also someone said that getting a real looking bun soft toy helps?
Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome :)
Just asking, are you absolutly sure you've got a girl there :D ? Missexing is a quite frequent thing with rabbits. I only ever got sprayed by males, they had their times when litter habbits got worse at a young age, and my does only hump other rabbits.

About toys, rabbits don't play like cats or dogs, they like to gnaw and if something is in their way to rearrange things.
I always have some fresh tree branches and twigs (apple and other fruit trees, ash, willow, forsithia etc) under the kitchen table to keep them occupied, and my girls get garden time where they dig a lot - a digging box might be a nice toy.
A soft toy bunny might be a good idea, I noticed that mine like to hang out around bunny garden ornaments, they are social creatures after all.

Thanks for the reply!

We got her from pets at home and they sexed her then, since then she’s been in for her vaccinations and a nail treatment and they haven’t said anything to lead us to believe she’s a boy but anything’s possible?
I’m assuming they sound like boy behaviours then?

contents would you suggest for a digging box?

I love the branches idea, I’ll pick some up.
Thanks.

Hey All,

I have a lovely house bun called Mellow.
She is unspayed (pandemic willing this will be fixed soon).
She is 5 1/2 months old.

Before she hit maturity she had full run of my 2 bed apartment with 1 of the rooms being pretty much all her apartment from my home working station. She was fully litter trained.

Once she hit maturity she starting humping me and pooping all around me. That then turned into spraying me with pee. If she couldn’t reach me directly she’d spray near me.

She also then started peeing or spraying on our rug in the living room.

The vets still won’t get her book in to spay due to the pandemic.

Due to this I’m going to have to make her spend more time in her pen (she ruined 2 rugs now and my partner is not appreciating this).

It’s a large dog pen, I’ve brought another and will be joining them up.

This is where she will now need to spend the night.

She has lots of boredom breakers but how much is too much? My sister has said I’m putting too much in the cage.

Can you guys suggest any toys that keep your buns busy?

Also someone said that getting a real looking bun soft toy helps?
Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks for the help.

My bun loves toys my son rotates them so he doesn’t get bored. He has a few types of balls (hay, plastic that make noise, treat ball) stacking cups, different kinds of wood shapes (circular cuts, sticks of varying thickness), random Oxbox chewing toys.

I would suggest seeing another vet that is taking animals. That is kind of crazy that they won't see animals. Animals don't carry the virus and they can limit their contact w/ the humans. I suggest calling a vet after getting some recommendations.

Oh dear I would certainly ask your vet to check his downstairs department
Not dissing pets at home but bunny sexing is an art and takes experience of many breeds to accurately get it right every time. I get asked by my local petshop to pop in to sex ones they are doubtful about.
Like was mentioned above ive never ever had a female spray and hate to say its not just pee either, it's a boy thing and smells quite nasty too....
I'd be writing/ringing to pets r us (lol) and asking for a voucher to get him neutered in thier vet surgeries for giving you the wrong sex animal. Females are so different in nature to males and what if you anted to breed her?. Refund and vet bill paid.,nothing less ok X

Oh dear I would certainly ask your vet to check his downstairs department
Not dissing pets at home but bunny sexing is an art and takes experience of many breeds to accurately get it right every time. I get asked by my local petshop to pop in to sex ones they are doubtful about.
Like was mentioned above ive never ever had a female spray and hate to say its not just pee either, it's a boy thing and smells quite nasty too....
I'd be writing/ringing to pets r us (lol) and asking for a voucher to get him neutered in thier vet surgeries for giving you the wrong sex animal. Females are so different in nature to males and what if you anted to breed her?. Refund and vet bill paid.,nothing less ok X

I now have her booked in to be spayed -maybe I won’t be surprised if it comes back a neuter.

I called pets at home and they said they can’t take responsibility either way.

She/He is a bit grumpy at the moment and has taken to nipping my feet.

I’ll update you all once her spay is done.

thanks for all the ideas on toys.

hi, there really can't be to many toys but just make sure to only keep them if your rabbit likes them if they not into them you can donate to shelters. Personally my rabbits love seagrass matts and they also love those rosewood naturals 3 pack of different kind of ball shaped toys Pet Supplies : Rosewood Pet Naturals Trio of Fun Balls for All Small Animals : Amazon.com
also I would recommend supporting 101rabbits online store all of their products are 101% rabbit safe
best wishes!

Latest posts

Back