Too many cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prap

Reaction score
My little girl, Luna, a holland lop, has always left out her cecotropes.
We've had her since she was 9 weeks and she's 13 weeks now. Very happy and generally healthy rabbit.
She was taken care of by family for 2 weeks where she was allowed to eat as much of her food mix as she liked (And she LOVED it). As long as I've known her she hasn't been eating them but just left them out. And yes I'm positive at least in daylight hours that she hasn't eaten them, and there have always been loads lying about after nights.
She's no longer eating large amounts of food mix but still eats loaaads of hay. She's a very hungry girl. As far as i understand they usually don't eat them when they have too much of their pellet mix as they can get the needed vitamines etc. from that, but as she hasn't been overfed with it for over a week i figured she'd slowly start eating them but hasn't. I'm mostly worried she won't get what she needs from it in the long run. Her friend eats them all the time and never leaves any out and they're fed more or less the same amount :)
So do some rabbits perhaps just not eat them? Is there anything else to do about it?

Rabbits eat them for sure just sometimes if they get stressed or sick or overweight they forget them or just can't reach them so you can see them around, otherwise she should eat them.

What food mix do you mean is that muesli-type food can you post a pic of it?

Rabbits eat them for sure just sometimes if they get stressed or sick or overweight they forget them or just can't reach them so you can see them around, otherwise she should eat them.

What food mix do you mean is that muesli-type food can you post a pic of it?

She's not stressed, sick or overweight from what I've experienced from stressed and sick rabbits. It's a special made mix from the local petstore that is supposed to be healthier than those ready-made mixes you can buy. It's just pellets mixed with a few things like little pieces of corn and some types of flake-looking things and lucerne. Unfortunately I can't get a picture right now. This is what they use for all their rabbits as well as their own rabbits at home and is what my other rabbit also eats. She's a super happy and social bunny and as she loves her food she only gets a limited amount (Otherwise she'd go nuts and eat it all ;-) ). She absolutely loves all kinds of food, hay and treats and she has never refused to eat anything I've given to her. I do like to control their weight, as she was a bit underweight when i got her from the pet shop and had a very pointy spine and there seemed to be like no padding anywhere. She's a much healthier weight currently.

Corn is never supposed to be fed. It can harm their teeth and digestive system in the long run. I'm not sure what types of pellets are available to you but it is recommended to feed something with no additives (only the pellet, nothing else).

I know my local pet store also sells this mix with corn, peas and oats and some coloured stuff and I see there they have rabbits for sale and other furries and they have this mix in their bowls but as Alyssa just said and we have had a plenty of conversation on this site that it's a big no-no as corn and peas can cause blockages so everyone would suggest feeding just plain pellets with min fibre 19%. I don't know why she doesn't eat her cecals then my rabbits sometimes leaving them but mostly if they are I wouldn't say stressed but maybe a bit upset or too excited they just forgot sometimes, you know moving cage or changing something like new toilet tray or new food, sometimes so excited about their favourite vegs or something, many reasons, but that's not very often, usually they eat them all. Maybe when they are a bit uncomfortable like when ate too much vegs and their stomach acts I usually see after they ate too much vegs or over excited.

I know my local pet store also sells this mix with corn, peas and oats and some coloured stuff and I see there they have rabbits for sale and other furries and they have this mix in their bowls but as Alyssa just said and we have had a plenty of conversation on this site that it's a big no-no as corn and peas can cause blockages so everyone would suggest feeding just plain pellets with min fibre 19%. I don't know why she doesn't eat her cecals then my rabbits sometimes leaving them but mostly if they are I wouldn't say stressed but maybe a bit upset or too excited they just forgot sometimes, you know moving cage or changing something like new toilet tray or new food, sometimes so excited about their favourite vegs or something, many reasons, but that's not very often, usually they eat them all. Maybe when they are a bit uncomfortable like when ate too much vegs and their stomach acts I usually see after they ate too much vegs or over excited.

I did read the peas and corn isn't good for rabbits. I know for several animals there are many disagreements on how to treat them and feed them and I'm not sure if this is the case here. They don't get peas. I also have 2 syrian hamsters and I know there are quite a lot of differences in EU and US in regards to requirements. This specific mix has been recommended by the vet as well which is why I have been continuing using it even though sources say differently, and they told me that it was much healthier than feeding plain pellets. However I have seen many nicer types of pellets being sold and even though I've been advised against I admit I have been considering switching once she's older and allowed to eat fresh greens.
The petshop is also owned by a nurse vet who owns rabbits. Very few places here are allowed to sell pets to reduce risk of animal cruelty and I do trust the shop very much as all employees are forced to learn how to take proper care of all the animals so they can instruct people properly when they buy them (They sell everything from hedgehogs to chinchillas to turtles fish and hamsters etc). (I really feel like these should be the goals for all pet shops over the world as I've seen many terrible places people have showed pictures of :-( )

My netherland dwarf used to leave a lot of cecotropes when I got him. Once I switched him from alfalfa pellets to timothy pellets, he greatly improved. His previous owner warned me that if she fed him alfalfa hay, he would get diarrhea.

Latest posts

Back