Too hot outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popsicles

Reaction score
Just wondering, when would people consider it too hot to put a bunny outside? Being in the UK this is rarely an issue, but it is 25 degrees out today. It was pretty stifling indoors so I thought we should go and sit outside - there’s plenty of shade and a mild breeze and she is fine, bouncing around and being naughty. But do you think it’s too hot for her to be out? I do have the back door open so she is welcome to go back inside, but she never will if I’m out here as she is so clingy.

If you don't have A/C and the outside seems cooler in the shade with a breeze, then that sounds like a good place to be.

If you're ever concerned about the heat, you could always provide a frozen liter of water and see if she'll lie near it.

Yeah we don’t get temperatures like that here, gosh that’s some lovely weather haha. I have tried the frozen water before and she just ignores it; so I guess that just means she isn’t hot.
Thank you for your replies, I was just being a worried owner I think :) we got rained indoors after an hour anyway haha...

yeah I used to provide a frozen water bottle (two liter size) to my bunny I had as a kid who was outdoors. Even with that though when it was over 100 it was too hot and I think that was the reason for his passing. :( If she's ignoring it she's most likely fine lol.

In summer where I live it gets hot
Typical temps are around 36 degrees (97 Fahrenheit). On extreme days it can get to 42 (108 Fahrenheit)

When it's 36 my bunnies may remain outside but they have a large covered area under a trampoline with the pen extending beyond it by a fair margin

There are a couple of overhanging trees as well

At this temperate range, I will go out about ever 45 mins - 1 hour and squirt them down and all the surrounding area so that the dirt is damp and cool. They also get a spray as well although it's often does as a mist or on a shower setting and I make it like it rains and will often shower the tree and let the water run off the leaves onto my bunnies. I will also squirt down the trampoline which is semi-permeable, so the water seeps through onto the ground underneath. They also have a separate cage that they can run into for cover/protection. They have hollowed out an area underneath it to access the cool dirt

One of my bunnies spent some time in the wild before we got him, so he's water smart and takes cover. The other sits there letting the 'rain' fall on him before he decides he will move

I check on them all the time to make sure they don't overheat. It's cooler out there in the pen then elsewhere with the shade etc

If it goes above 35 - 36 C, then I will bring them in (after they are dry) to the air conditioned house

Even at 35-36 C they will often run around, which I know they will only do if they are not too hot

They have plenty of shade (under the trampoline as well a tree shade), plenty of cool dirt to lay in, plenty of water to drink. If it gets too hot, then I bring them in

Main thing is I think to keep an eye on them at all times, keep them cool and when it's too hot, bring them in (which they hate no matter how hot it is outside, there's something they love about being free to frolic outside as a bunny should)

Now in only stupid Australia would allow myxomatosis vaccine it might be ok for bunnies

Wow sounds like keeping your bunnies cool is a full time job!! Some really good tips there thank you :) I think I’d die in that heat let alone my bunny haha!
Oh don’t, I find that so silly, when it’s so routine here in the UK. Fingers crossed one day!

Latest posts

Back