TONY'S EYE: Have we found the problem??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Hi all, I am really worried. lexi went and got Tony out and he has one eye that is looking really cloudy. It's like a dog that has cataracts or something. I just missed their vet in the office so I can't do anything until Monday.

Please, can anyone tell me what the cause could be?? I know I've read stuff on this here but I can't find anything without some running or something - he's just cloudy - no other symptoms.

it could be sudden onset of glaucoma and /or cataracts.
i had a mini-lop who developed bluish colored filmy eyes in what seemed like overnight. All at once the brown eyes were cloudy and blue.
She had glaucoma and to be honest no one could figure why ;she was seen by a renowned opthamologist in Chicago.

if there is not inflammation ,redness, running but just the film it really isn't an emegency situation just a strange one like mine.
I cannot think of anything else possible???

Sounds like a cataract to me. Best to have the vet check it out.

One of my fosters had a cataract. He had surgery to remove the cataract. Abner does have some vision loss but he is doing well otherwise.

He's only about 18 mos old :(

Lexi said it looks slightly swollen so I am worried about that thing that causes the bulging eye thing.

I called the vet's office. She's still there but they are closed. The gal I talked to is going to tell her and see if she wants to see him on an emergency visit. I hope she does :(

She said she didn't need to see him since he's still eating (although it's not normal amounts) I'm really upset. Why does this stuff always happen at the wrong time?!

:cry2

:( Animals always seem to have the "right" timing to have stuff happen. My hamster, Squishy, got a cataract pretty much overnight. His whole eye is clouded over. He has been fine since that. Are there other vets to call in your area? Just make sure he's drinking! Maybe some fresh veggies would prompt some nibblage!

Good luck! :hug:

With the additional info it sounds like more of an injury than a cataract. I'm wondering if he is in pain and that is why he isn't eating as much. It could be something going behind the eye too. Teeth problem?

The Library really has a lot of great 'Eye' articles, here's the link:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14567&forum_id=10

Especially informative (with photos) is this entry:

Ophthalmologic diseases - MediRabbit.com
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Eye_diseases_main.htm

Some cornea-related disorders like ulcers (the last entry is a good summary) can be mistaken for cataracts.

Definitely keep an eye on whether there is a definite bulging, but look at the pics and see what you think. My guess is it's either an abrasion from a piece of hay or a corneal lipidosis, which is a fat deposit in the cornea.

Neither are terribly serious -- the latter isn't serious at all, the former can be painful and can get worse -- but I still don't like the idea that your vet determined that it wasn't serious based on the fact he was still eating. That's a pet peeve of mine. A rabbit not eating isn't serious, it's critical. (But that's beside the point).

sas :p

When Ariella's eye got cloudy, it was due to a small lesion. It wasn't running but it did give the impression that it was bulging. It was minor though it did scar... I hope that's all it is for your Tony as well :hug:

Oh gosh I hope it's just something simple.

Pipp I had looked there but I didn't find what I needed and I always get frazzled when they are sick. I just hooked up a new computer so I am having to download the programs to read the files for a lot of that stuff *sigh*...

Now Bo's hocks are bad so I've been cleaning his cage and padding it as much as possible again. He's happy - flopped with his legs on his dishes LOL!

Now back to Tony. I went and looked and his eye just looks a bit swollen - hardly noticeable. He DEVOURED some cilantro and some pellets. He's always been a good one to drink. Today he hasn't drank a lot that I've seen and so far we have no poos or pee but that's not unusual for him. He'll go when he goes. I will be checking him often and just now gave him more cilantro and he's devouring it as well.

His eye doesn't look quite as cloudy right now but on the top it's heavier it seems. Maybe we can try to get a photo in a minute.

His eye doesn't look like most of those pictures. I am going to try to get a better look at it in a little while tho. I will let you know what I see.

Here's a photo of his eye It's not great but the film you see actually continues to the whole area - it's thicker where you see it tho.

Tony's eye.jpg

Oh my gosh!!! Elf and I are hoping that Tony is ok! (and Bo, too, of course!) I hope the vet finds it to be nothing! I'm watching this thread!!!

Minda

Poor Tony!

I had a foster cat with something like that going on, we never found out what it was. The vet gave some cream for the eye, to get the redness and swelling down but the cloudyness never left. The vet said she could still see somewhat but the only reason she could come up with that made any sense was that there was some sort of head trama.

Hopefully you'll have some answers soon!

Lisa & Floof:hearts

Oh no! Not my Tony!!

I really hope it's nothing too serious, and that he'll be ok... I know how worrying it is, to know something's wrong with them and to want it to go away so much... you'd much rather be sick yourself I always say...

:hug: for you and noserubs to Tony. I'll be thinking of you guys...

he pood which I was waiting on. He also got snuggles and lots of love earlier.

I would rather be sick - like you said. I just can't help him right now - I have to wait for Monday :(

Latest posts

Back