Tonic Immobility (TI) in Rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamaldanny

Reaction score
Is it (TI) only happen when you trancing your rabbit? Why? If TI is the way for rabbit to escape from predator,Why TI is harm to rabbit since the word 'escape' refer to keep on surviving ? Im curious

It's just that it's generally unnecessarily stressful for a pet rabbit, not to mention since TI is generally induced when a rabbit is on it's back, they are more likely to kick their hind legs at the air, which is very dangerous for a stressed-out rabbit since they are strong enough to damage their own spines with such a kick.

A rabbit in Tonic Immobility is not in the process of escaping. It is "playing dead." It is still fully aware of what is going on, though. They are not actually in a relaxed state but in a fear state. But by not struggling and going limp, as if dead, a predator may release its hold on the rabbit. After the rabbit is released, then it can try to make its escape.

1605982931696.png

It's just that it's generally unnecessarily stressful for a pet rabbit, not to mention since TI is generally induced when a rabbit is on it's back, they are more likely to kick their hind legs at the air, which is very dangerous for a stressed-out rabbit since they are strong enough to damage their own spines with such a kick.
So....it is dengerous when rabbit do such kicking only???..other than that if it does nothing,then not dengerous??...

A rabbit in Tonic Immobility is not in the process of escaping. It is "playing dead." It is still fully aware of what is going on, though. They are not actually in a relaxed state but in a fear state. But by not struggling and going limp, as if dead, a predator may release its hold on the rabbit. After the rabbit is released, then it can try to make its escape.

View attachment 51619
Ya....actually i knew some bout tht. But what are the dengerous await after tht??. Let say yes we did...we tranced, and it dont kicked, the spines not injured...so does it mean after tht it safe.? Or how..ermmm

Then....is TI only happens when trancing???....how about other situations or positions which can lead to stress??...becoz in wild, rabbits will automatically putting themselves in TI when predators catch in any directions at any parts of their body......

So if we just hold a rabbit in normal way or shower it.....does it can lead to TI too ?

Rabbits in the wild don't often live very long lives. We are dealing with pet rabbits, where we are trying to provide a safe long life for them, and not put them in situations that could be harmful to their well being and health. Trancing can pose the risk of stressing their heart. Some will react more negatively than others, but doing it can pose the risk of causing cardiac arrest. That is why trancing can be very risky to do with rabbits.

If by showering a rabbit, you mean bathing it and more than just a light butt bath where only the underside of the bum is rinsed off, this too is a risk to do with rabbits as it can stress them, stress their heart, and pose the risk of hypothermia or shock and cardiac arrest. Bathing(or showering) a rabbit can be dangerous to them and is strongly discouraged.

Does it means only trancing can lead to TI ?.....other than tht, just can lead to stress and danger BUT TI.?.

i see.....Trancing =Tonic immobility. I thought trancing is positioning.....while TI is feeling .ahahahah noted.

Just a small contribution.I absolutely agree with the comments regarding not doing this either as a first resort,a bit of amusement for others or to demonstrate your mastery of the animal.Interestingly the same response is found in sharks,and I've no doubt in many species we don't even know about yet.One of my rabbits,Tyrion,whom I loved very dearly and who would let me do anything with him in terms of handling and grooming(due to trust and affection,not fear, I should add),would allow me to gently put him on his back,in my lap( very secure and safe) and groom his rear end,which needed frequent shaving for hygiene reasons.He never appeared to be stressed,and seemed to know I was only doing it for his own good.I wouldn't even try to do it with my present male,who I'm pretty sure would panic and hurt himself.It's a matter of judgement and knowing your animal,but I absolutely echo the thoughts of others in not suggesting it is something to do for fun or without good reason.

Latest posts

Back