Toe/nail injury

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I returned home from a weekend trip to discover that one of my buns has seriously injured the inner most toe on his back right foot. Nail is still there but base is crusted with blood and toe itself is swollen and red. Angle of nail is normal, but clearly something is wrong. He is eating and moving normally but I see him not putting weight on the injured foot. My bunny sitter had no idea and is unaware of what caused this. I am horrified as I know rabbits can bleed out and die from nail traumas, and wondering if anyone has advice. Will of course be taking him to our vet in the morning, but based on my research whatever the issue there isn't much to do besides wait for it to heal and hope for the best, which is of course stressful. Anyone been in a similar situation and have some words of wisdom? Thanks so much!

I would just wait and see what the vet says, if the nail is still present that’s good, means it wasn’t ripped out. I wouldn’t worry too much!

Clean the area thoroughly with Nolvasan (you can get it through your vet), and apply a thin coat of regular triple antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin (not Neosporin Plus, or any other product that contains cortisone!!!) Try to keep your bunny in as clean an environment as possible til you can see your vet — to prevent dirt from contaminating the injury site. Be sure to see your vet for followup care, since bacterial infection can travel to the bone and cause serious problems. Hope he gets better soon!

I'm so sorry for the late reply, I didn't get notifications about all these lovely responses! thank you guys so much :)

The vet removed the nail (which was totally broken and barely hanging on) and said he should be just fine whether it grows back or not (but it likely will). Crisis averted, whew!

Latest posts

Back