To Wipe The Pee Or Let The Do It Themselves?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troller

Reaction score
Hi folks. Since I've been bonding my rabbits of late I find it easier to stick the little guys in their carriers for a short time. It takes me about an hour to do a decent clean, and I've seen my rabbits go without peeing for far longer then that but Xena of late has decided to let me know she is displeased by peeing in it while she's waiting. I'm positive this is just her being grumpy and not a medical issue because she doesn't do it every time during every clean, just occasionally.

So when I take her out I wipe down her paws, bottom and tail. She positively hates it. It's not a thing I mind doing, but I was just wondering if it was necessary? Not as a 'I'm trying to avoid this' but as a healthy rabbit would prefer to take care of it themselves. Especially if its doing more harm then good (I use non-scented baby wipes). I mean I'd hate her tracking pee in her pen, and I worry about if she could get urine scald from this, but if it's better to leave her be then I can stomach it I guess.

I would put a towel (if she's not prone to chewing on it) or some fleece in the bottom of the carrier (either way, folded up to be 3-4 layers thick) so that when she spite-pees in the carrier, it gets absorbed right away and doesn't get a chance to soak into her fur. then you can just toss the bedding in the wash when you're done cleaning ;)

if you want to go with fleece, I highly recommend getting it from walmart - you can buy a 50''x60'' fleece blanket for < $3. it's cheap fleece (ie definitely something I won't use for sewing), but for this purpose, it would work perfectly and be a LOT cheaper than fabric store fleece (even with a really good sale, you're looking at around $4.99 a yard).

Thanks, I do have extra fleece, bought at Wallmart, that I usually use for the cages but yeah that sounds like a good idea.

yup - none of the stress of sponge bathing AND none of the "marinating in pee" - best of both worlds, hehe

Latest posts

Back