To the vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malexis

Reaction score
My bunny grasshopper is having problems with his eye. It started saturday but didnt relieze it get worse until yesterday night/ this morning. At first it was just a clear liquid that was making the fur around his eye and when it dried it was getting crusty. It is mostly only his left eye, just a tiny bit (hardly noticable) on his right eye. Now the liquid is a foggy white. The little thing in the bottom corner of his left eye is more noticable.(sorry dont know the name)

Otherwise, he is totally healthy. No wet nose, eating, drinking, and using the bathroom like normal.

Someone told my mom that rabbits can get pink eye. Is this true? Can humans get it from him? any other ideas?

My mom has wednesday off and we are looking for a vet.. anyone know of a good, cheap vet in washington near seattle? It was to be reasonably cheap because im only 15 and im going to have to pay my mom back every penny. We have been planning on getting him fixed and we were gonna do it next week but if he isnt well enough for the surgery then we wont put him through it.

Thanks!

Rabbits do get conjunctivitis and it is not transmissible to people ; it's possible that it is what your rabbit has and it is very smart of you to get it checked out

http://hrabbit.brinkster.net/washingtonhouserabbitsociety.org/vets.asp
this was on the website of Washington state house rabbit society ..and I think we have a list on the forum also which I'll try to find..
if it's conjunctivitis it is easily treatable but can be come problematic if NOT treated

there is a video of a young rabbit with severe conjunctivitis ; the very last item on this library material ..it is very graphic and I'm sure your rabbit's eye don't look like this

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12017&forum_id=10

meanwhile I'll try to find more vets ..

better to treat the eyes and let the neuter wait

Thanks a lot for the link with all the vets on it! I am going to call them tomorrow after school, that wont be too late right? Its 9:30 so i cant call now..

I really hope we can clear this up soon!

My blue flemmie Velvet had a really bad right eye and it started to affect the left. It was white sticky goo, was crusty and matted the fur down all around her eyes.

Get him to the vet as soon as you can, this started to really affect Velvets health. I have gotten some meds for her and she is responding well. Most vets are willing to work with you when it comes to paying, especially when they see that you are taking care of your bunny.

Good luck and keep posting I would like to know how he is doing.

Well the earliest i am able to get him in is tomorrow night at 5:30. But i think thats fine, because so far its not effecting him badly but if its serious i want to catch it soon. He is still acting normal, eating drinking and enjoying his playtime. If i didnt see his eye i would think he is perfectly fine. I will update tomorrow after i get back from the vet!

Hey guys, i havent been here for a while but i thought i'd update you... I took him to the vet and he said the grasshoppers eyes are irritated under the eye lid. He gave me eyedrops to give him twice a day for ten days. So far it doesnt seem different but hopefully he'll be better soon :)

You know to be honest I would call the vet and tell him that the drops are not helping.

I dealt with a similar problem with Beau and his eye for months ...he was placed on three different antibiotics (separately for 2-3 week duration) that did not work . I finally went to another vet and the 4th antibiotic worked almost immediately although his eye was so badly damged from infection that I doubt whether he will ever have full eyesight back. Did the vet say this was an infection? if so possibly he could take a culture of it and that would help him determine the appropriate antibiotic.

Good luck!

I just think that you mention this to your vet and also watch to see if it becomes worse.

Yeah im not sure if they would do anything considering how they said to use it for 10 days.. To say the least i dont really like this vet all that much, but my mom wanted me to go to them because their cheaper and she knew its around what i can afford. If it doesnt get fixed with this medication then i'll be persistant and make sure they test it..

Back to recycling cans for what money i can get.. lol

Latest posts

Back