To Neuter or To Not Neuter??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use wood pelleted litter, but as of now, i think you said you have a dog? If you have puppy pads you can use that. You could also just put hay in it, or kitchen roll it doesn’t matter too much though :)

He'll be ok for the night. He won't die.
He’ll be okay in pine shavings that can cause respiratory problems for the night? I can’t use towels in his hutch as I use those for when he’s on my bed and he chews them. He would probably do the same for a blanket. What do I do?

I use wood pelleted litter, but as of now, i think you said you have a dog? If you have puppy pads you can use that. You could also just put hay in it, or kitchen roll it doesn’t matter too much though :)
If I was to leave the pine shavings, would it matter? Would it need to be changed quickly or? I do have a dog but Moony here is quite a chewer, what if he chewed those items if I put them in there? Also, all I have is Timothy hay in terms of hay, would he eat that and then have no bedding left?? I’ve ordered a bed for him and it’s due to be delivered tomorrow... I actually can’t believe I put him at risk...
Is this litter the type you were talking about?

Attachments

• 764E3C8A-4F77-425E-A0BC-AF30381ACD39.png
    764E3C8A-4F77-425E-A0BC-AF30381ACD39.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 1
If I was to leave the pine shavings, would it matter? Would it need to be changed quickly or? I do have a dog but Moony here is quite a chewer, what if he chewed those items if I put them in there? Also, all I have is Timothy hay in terms of hay, would he eat that and then have no bedding left?? I’ve ordered a bed for him and it’s due to be delivered tomorrow... I actually can’t believe I put him at risk...
You can leave the shavings in just for tonight. They won't cause any problems in such a short while.
In fact they're perfectly safe to have in 24/7. I'm not sure what the problem is.

He will be fine in the pine shavings for now, but I suggest getting more towels tomorrow. It is okay if he chews the towels, just don't let him eat them. He sounds like he needs some chew toys. I suggest also getting some woven mats for him to shred.

In the litter box, use pine pellets. I buy these from Tractor Supply since they are super cheap and last forever. Follow the instructions on this link for litter training. You can put hay in the litter box for now.

You can leave the shavings in just for tonight. They won't cause any problems in such a short while.
In fact they're perfectly safe to have in 24/7. I'm not sure what the problem is.
They’re pine shavings, according to @Mariam+Theo... I was unaware of this as the packaging doesn’t say, and I was directed to purchase the product. Not to be rude, but I’m not exactly keen on following your advice given what you suggested I feed my rabbit.

They’re pine shavings, according to @Mariam+Theo... I was unaware of this as the packaging doesn’t say, and I was directed to purchase the product. Not to be rude, but I’m not exactly keen on following your advice given what you suggested I feed my rabbit.
I'm sorry to have spent time trying to help you.
I feel bad now.

The pine shavings are all over the hutch though...
If you have a towel or blanket that he can have, go ahead and sweep the shavings all up and then vacuum up the leftover pieces so you can put the towel/blanket in the hutch. If you do not have a towel/blanket leave the shavings in the hutch until you have a towel/blanket for him.

If you have a towel or blanket that he can have, go ahead and sweep the shavings all up and then vacuum up the leftover pieces so you can put the towel/blanket in the hutch. If you do not have a towel/blanket leave the shavings in the hutch until you have a towel/blanket for him.
I’m confused now as @KingBunny has shown a website saying they are not bad... are you positive that they’re pine shavings? The only reason I’m asking is because the packaging doesn’t say so. I will include a picture of the packaging.

Attachments

• FD942044-AE7B-4AF7-8065-E8403C052086.jpeg
    FD942044-AE7B-4AF7-8065-E8403C052086.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6
Are pillow cases ok? I also have cardboard and I can rip up some paper... I’m stressing so much, I’m not happy with him going back in there until I can figure out an alternative. He has some wooden chew toys that he likes, he just also likes the towels when he’s in my room
Also, the website that @Mariam+Theo linked says that nothing should be put outside of the litter box that is soft because rabbits love all things soft...

Hope this helps. Sometimes forums can go a bit ott with advice. No offense to anyone though.
View attachment 53182
I'm sorry to have spent time trying to help you.
I feel bad now.
To clear the air, pine shavings for rabbits is a really debated issue between rabbit owners. Many breeders are ok with using pine shavings, but most pet rabbit owners believe that they are dangerous. I take the side with pet owners since Theo is a pet. That does not mean that I think breeders are completely wrong about their decisions. Everyone can choose to own their rabbit the way they want to own their rabbit. There are many links about pine shavings being safe and them being dangerous. I have added debatable reasons from each side so @Jennyrobson can decide if they would like to keep the shavings in the hutch or if they would like to remove them.

The Dangers of Softwood Shavings says, "There are two major concerns with the use of cedar and pineshavings as litter. The first is the documented alterations in the liver's specialized tools, called enzymes, that can alter your rabbit's ability to handle standard drugs that your vet will use in the treatment of your pet. The second is the relatively poorly characterized cancer risk. "

https://www.sani-care.com/wp-content/uploads/Cedarpineprob.pdf says, "Unfortunately these compounds have been implicated as a potential health risk, especially with regards to respiratory problems (asthma, inflammation, allergic responses) and changes in the liver."

Rasingrabbits.com says, "This is a fairly long page - so we want you to know up front that pine shavings are just fine for rabbit litter, the nest box, and bedding. Pine is completely safe, and especially if it is heat-treated or kiln-dried."

I’m confused now as @KingBunny has shown a website saying they are not bad... are you positive that they’re pine shavings? The only reason I’m asking is because the packaging doesn’t say so. I will include a picture of the packaging.
I am 99% sure they are pine shavings because of the size and color. If they were not pine shavings they would be cedar shavings which would be worse because cedar shavings are highly dangerous to rabbits. They do not have the color of cedar shavings.
Bunylady.com says "Cedar is the most commonly known type of wood that is harmful to rabbits. This is one of the types that should be kept away from rabbits completely. It contains high levels of phenols that can be inhaled by rabbits causing liver complications."

To clear the air, pine shavings for rabbits is a really debated issue between rabbit owners. Many breeders are ok with using pine shavings, but most pet rabbit owners believe that they are dangerous. I take the side with pet owners since Theo is a pet. That does not mean that I think breeders are completely wrong about their decisions. Everyone can choose to own their rabbit the way they want to own their rabbit. There are many links about pine shavings being safe and them being dangerous. I have added debatable reasons from each side so @Jennyrobson can decide if they would like to keep the shavings in the hutch or if they would like to remove them.

The Dangers of Softwood Shavings says, "There are two major concerns with the use of cedar and pineshavings as litter. The first is the documented alterations in the liver's specialized tools, called enzymes, that can alter your rabbit's ability to handle standard drugs that your vet will use in the treatment of your pet. The second is the relatively poorly characterized cancer risk. "

https://www.sani-care.com/wp-content/uploads/Cedarpineprob.pdf says, "Unfortunately these compounds have been implicated as a potential health risk, especially with regards to respiratory problems (asthma, inflammation, allergic responses) and changes in the liver."

Rasingrabbits.com says, "This is a fairly long page - so we want you to know up front that pine shavings are just fine for rabbit litter, the nest box, and bedding. Pine is completely safe, and especially if it is heat-treated or kiln-dried."

I am 99% sure they are pine shavings because of the size and color. If they were not pine shavings they would be cedar shavings which would be worse because cedar shavings are highly dangerous to rabbits. They do not have the color of cedar shavings.
Bunylady.com says "Cedar is the most commonly known type of wood that is harmful to rabbits. This is one of the types that should be kept away from rabbits completely. It contains high levels of phenols that can be inhaled by rabbits causing liver complications."
I don’t want to take the risk of them being dangerous to him. Can I use pillow cases, cardboard, ripped up paper? I’m overwhelmed, I know you’re saying he’ll be fine but I will never forgive myself if he’s not fine after this

Are pillow cases ok? I also have cardboard and I can rip up some paper... I’m stressing so much, I’m not happy with him going back in there until I can figure out an alternative. He has some wooden chew toys that he likes, he just also likes the towels when he’s in my room
Also, the website that @Mariam+Theo linked says that nothing should be put outside of the litter box that is soft because rabbits love all things soft...
I don’t want to take the risk of them being dangerous to him. Can I use pillow cases, cardboard, ripped up paper? I’m overwhelmed, I know you’re saying he’ll be fine but I will never forgive myself if he’s not fine after this
You can put pillowcases and/or cardboard in the cage because those are safe. Since you do not have a larger litter box or proper litter yet I think it is okay to leave soft things outside of the litter box for now. Once you begin litter training then all soft things will need to be removed from the hutch.

I'm so sorry this thread has been so confusing. Please know that he will be completely fine and do not beat yourself up because of this mistake! I had pine shavings in Theo's hutch for the first 4 months that I owned him and the vet said he is in perfect health, even though I made that mistake.

Latest posts

Back