To My Pretty Pernod

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh Pernod, where to begin? I can’t believe that you have gone to The Bridge – I keep expecting you to come bouncing into the room, looking to see what mischief you can get into next. I don’t think it has really sunk in yet, and that makes me feel worse.

When we adopted you and Perry 5 ½ years ago, I was determined I wasn’t going to get as attached to you as I had been to Fudge – it just hurt too much when she left us. So, I thought getting two rabbits would be easier – of course, I would love you, but you would have each other, so I needn’t be as ‘involved’. Huh, who was I trying to fool? You both imprinted yourselves on my heart, and I loved you both so much.

You and Perry were so much in love – not just bonded, it went deeper than that. You were always together, looking out for each other, creating havoc together. Perry was the quiet, sweet soul – you were the feisty bundle of trouble. Whatever we were doing, you had to be there to check it out. Whether it was me working in the house, or Daddy in the garden, you had to make sure we did things right. And, more than once, we would get a timely nip if it wasn’t done the way you wanted.

You were such a vocal bunny, always grunting and chattering away. You made happy grunty noises when you were eating, and when you were being petted, and often even just when you were laying happily under the chair. You made angry grunting noises when you were stopped from doing something you shouldn’t have been, or you were picked up for nail clipping or something else that you didn’t approve of. Our UK vet said you were the most vocal bunny she had ever met. God, I am so going to miss that!

Your binkies were strange – either a half, head shake binky, or a 180 degree, four paws off the ground together, jump. The head shake was reserved for when we told you off for doing something – you would do this and then run off, flicking your feet as you went. The 180 degree turn was when you were happy – in the sandpit or after a cuddle.

You loved being outside. You could explore, and eat grass, and dig. You really loved the rain (silly bunny), and would sit in the middle of the garden getting wetter and wetter, but wouldn’t come in. You even liked the snow, though, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), you won’t see a Canadian winter).
You weren’t so keen on being dried off though – several towels bare angry Pernod teeth marks.

When Perry went to The Bridge, you were so lost without him. You lay beside the picture Lauren did of him, and you licked his photo. You became closer to us, but often you would stare into space, or lay in the places where you had been together. So after 2 months, we thought a new friend may cheer you up, but, again, you had your own ideas on that. You hated Shadow, and tried to take his head away from his body at every chance. Unfortunately, because he was bigger than you, you ended up coming off worst. We had several vet visits for wounds to be stitched, and you were left with a chunk taken out of your right ear. Then, we looked after Jess’s gorgeous Millie, ad she and Shadow made friends. You weren’t having another doe take ‘your’ man, and overnight you accepted him – 10 months after he arrived!!! You and he became close friends, but I know your heart was still with Perry.

I wondered if bringing you to Canada was the right thing to do. Perhaps, if I knew someone who would love you and spoil you the way you were used to, I may have left you in the UK, even though it would have killed me to do so. But, you and Shadow made it here. I needed (still need) you both so much. But, while Shadow is in Bunny Heaven here, and loves it, you and I struggled. You seemed to get ill shortly after, first with an ear infection. This cleared up for a few weeks. Then you stopped eating and were losing weight. You loved your food, and were always a little Piggy, so I knew something was going on. Blood tests and x rays showed you had a growth on your liver. I can’t tell you how devastated I was hearing that. I would look at you, and you would look so ‘normal’ and yet inside you were different. Then you got the runny nose, and the ear infection got worse. More meds seemed to work, and for a few, glorious weeks, you were back to yourself. Eating everything in sight, racing around the garden and exploring everything. I am so grateful that we had those few weeks, and I knew that you were happy here. And that I could tell you every day how much I loved you.

But, last week, your eye was swollen and started weeping. On Wednesday, when I took you to the vet, they said that you had an infection in the tube from the nose to the eye, so it was more meds, and creams and injections. They didn’t work. Your sweet, pretty face became swollen, the eye worse, and you stopped eating again. I couldn’t tell if the blood was from the eye or mouth, and your lips were bruised. So, straight back to the vet, more injections, different meds, fluids, and so many prayers. But, I guess whatever was wrong with your liver, you just couldn’t fight this one. I could see that my little Pernod wasn’t there any more – you were whimpering and didn’t want anyone, or any bun, near you, and I knew it was time to let you go with Perry. And that hurts so, so much.

So, my Sweet P, you have joined the love of your life. I love to think of you two together again, you were such a perfect couple. I am completely heartbroken by your leaving, and I don’t know how I will get by without you – you have been my friend and shoulder to cry on for 5 ½ years. Thank you for all the joy you brought us, all the happy memories you leave us with. God Bless, my Pernie Poo, be happy with Perry, Fudge and Buck, and all Rainbow Bridge babies there. I will love you forever.

pernodpit.jpg

You loved being in your sand box

PPsandpit5.jpg

You loved being with Perry

PernodPerry.jpg

No flowers stood a chance with you around
GetOffMyFlowers.jpg

pernodtree.jpg

Kisses for mommy

PernodInSandpitKissJan.jpg

You loved the rain and getting wet (taken 10 days ago)

JanBrass
DSC_0050.jpg

_DSC0066.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

Goodbye, my sweet girl. Until we meet again.

Jan

Goodbye, Pernod. You touched my life. I'm so sorry to see you go. The love you had for Perry, and then eventually Shadow, always made me want to bond Elf. May you binky merrily with Perry over the Rainbow Bridge and always look down on your loving Mum, Jan.

Jan, you are in my thoughts and heart.

Oh Jan, you've set me off in tears again. What a beautiful tribute to such a special girl.:sad:

I feel so lucky that I had the privilege of meeting Pernod when you lived in the UK. From the moment I first meet her I knew that she was an extra special rabbit. I still laugh when I think about how she came running out into the garden when I came to take Millie home, as if saying "HA, that horrible doe has finally gone!":p

Jan, you showed Pernod the love and care that only a small handful of rabbits in the world get to see. Take comfort in that.:hug:

Binky free Pernod, you are back with your dear Perry now.:rainbow::pink iris:

OMG - what an awesome tribute....

We lost a beautiful spirit here on earth - and heaven gained one awesome bunny.

RIP sweet Pernod....and binky free.

I'm so sorry for your loss Jan - you know we're here for you....

Jan,that was just a beautiful tribute...Pernod was one special little girl

I'm justso sorry for your loss

Rest peacefully sweet one

Cheryl:pink iris:

[align=center]
heart.gif

We choose them sometimes they choose us and other times they are given to us.

We bring them home and suddenly learn there is so much more.

We love them and care for them.

We feed them and play with them.

We watch them grow and marvel at the change.

We laugh and enjoy there every move.

We sometimes get annoyed at some of what they do, than they look at us and it is all ok.

We do our best to keep them safe and it is not enough.

We sometimes make the choice for how there life ends and sometimes they choose it.

We love them will all our hearts in the end they know this and that is best of all. They go to the bridge loved when so many others have never known love. They go knowing some day we will see them again and their hearts as well as ours will be whole.

angelsko.jpg
[/align]

Jan, what a beautiful tribute to such an amazing little girl. Even though we never met in person, Ive always felt so close to you and your bunny family. Maybe it was because she was dutch, and I love them so much, but I always felt a special connection with Pernod.

This is one of my favorite pictures of her and Perry:

PernodPerry.jpg

As devastated as I am knowing you lost your special girl, I know she is with her best friend and soulmate once again. They were truly a beautiful and special pair.

Rest in peace our beautiful Pernod. We all loved you so much.

A beautiful tribute Jan. :pink iris:

Binky free Pernod. :rainbow::tears2:

~My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

I've gone over the Tribute several times already, and I still can't find the words... my eyes still well up.

Pernod is a forum favorite,and it was an honor and privilege to meet her.

It's not Goodbye. It's Adieu, until we meet again.

I am so, so, so sorry for your loss. Reading what you shared touched me deep into my core. I don't know you well and I never had the opportunity to truly "know" Pernod, but she is in my heart today and you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest in peace, Pernod. Binky free :pink iris:.

I am so sorry for your loss, like JimD said "words fail me".:pink iris:

Your tribute was very touching...brought tears to my eyes, reading it, I could tellwhat aspecial bond you and Penrodhave.

She left for the bridge knowing how much you loved her.

:bigtears:

I'm so sorry i missed this.

After losing William last month i know exactly what you are going through. Its so heartbreaking. Trust me thought, once you cry and let all your tears out you will feel so much better. I'm sure Shadow is feeling very upset at the moment too. I hope you are feeling better.

Fran :( :hearts :brownbunny

Dearest Jan,

You have been on my mind since I read your email on Monday morning. I know there are really no words to ease the severing that you feel, but it is important that you know that you are in my thoughts more than you know.

My heart aches knowing the pain you are in. Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done to avoid what happened. Lord knows you would have gone to the ends of the earth to keep her with you, and I know she would've put up with all she couldto stay with you. Unfortunately, she had to leave her body as it was just holding her back and keeping her in pain. I know in my heart that Pernod, Perry, and Fudge still are very much around you, and I know that you'll be given signs of their presence - eitherby an unexpected thought or seeing them through the corner of your eye.

As you have always known, Buck took a special shine to Pernod. He just adored her personality, the love you two shared, and was in awe of her perfection as a representative of whata Dutch markings should be. I can see him right now looking at pictures of Pernod and being so impressed. She reminded him of his dearest Maxie. They would've made a lovely couple. I'm glad that she was met at the bridge by her beloved Perry and the many rabbits and friends that she didn't actually meet until she crossed over. I can see Buck right now smiling as he saw her coming and saying, "Well Hello Ms. Pernod! It is indeed an honor and a pleasure to meet you." I know she knew who he was the minute she was in his presence. I can feel her now andshe still is as spunky, spry and spicey as ever!

She will remain loving you and frolicking around you until the time comes when your eyes will see her again. Being human and in the physical form limits us so much. Remain open to your instincts, know that the love you shared is still very much alive, felt, and is everlasting. She, Perry and Fudge will be able to help you and love you in ways that go far beyond what they could do when they were here. They'll never leave you, Jan. You're the only mother they remember and they'll continue to protect, watch over, and love you.

I'm here for you, Jan. I love you with all my heart and did cuddle Tucker, Fauna, and Cali for a long time last night. We're all thinking of you and Shadow and John. Please don't hesitate to call me should you need to talk or just want to cry. My thoughts and prayers remain with you during this extremely difficult time.

All my love,

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back