To match or not to match? Just for fun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunniless

Reaction score
I'm in the process of browsing the bunnies for adoption in my area, and I'm interested in bonded pairs/trios. I'm surprised by how many there are to choose from.

Sometimes the bunnies look identical to one another, sometimes they look complimentary, and some pairs--even sibling pairs, look nothing alike. I'm amused at the variation in colors, and while I know other factors like breed and personality are much more important, I find myself wondering which look I like best.

If everything else was equal, would you choose identical bunnies, similar looking bunnies, or completely different looking bunnies? Also, if these were going to be the only rabbits in your home, would you go for a pair or a trio?

I tend to go for some similarity. Its why I have two Flemish, but totally different colors. I love seeing the slight difference and it always surprises me (though it really shouldn't) how the same breed can still have unique attributes. Conan has softer fur then Xena. Little things like that.

Now If I was in your situation, having no other pets in the house and adopting an already bonded group so I dont have that stress of doing it myself, I'd get a trio. C'mon, more bunny fun! But I'm a little rabbit obsessed. I'd have a trio if I wasnt so worried it would mess the current bond up.

Different. I like that my Faye (chocolate mini-rex) & Nora (broken havana) look so different because I sort of associate their 'look' with their personalities, but I like that they're relatively the same size because they look harmonious :)

Thanks for the replies! One of the options the shelter representative has pointed out to me involves a group of six siblings. Two are black and four are broken black (like my previous Netherland Dwarf bunny). The shelter is hoping to adopt them out in pairs or as companions to other bunnies. It's tricky though, because if I did pick from this group, I'd have to take some and leave some. Should I do two broken black and a black? Three broken black? Two black and a broken black? And what about the three I leave behind, will they be adopted as a trio, or will one be left behind? I can't seem to get my husband onboard with taking all six :p

I am leaning more towards a trio though, mostly because I have no experience with trying to bond rabbits. It's a terrible thought but if something were to happen to one, I wouldn't want to be left with one grieving, lonely bunny and no clue how to help him/her connect with a new companion. Three can't be that much harder than two...right?

Latest posts

Back