To get or not to get????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok to have a bunny and a cat?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

PeterDussan31

Reaction score
Hey Bun lovers,
So I love cats, and bunnies of course. I have a bun now. But I would like to have a kitty as well. Is that a good idea? How to best introduce one another or bond? At what age would it be best if yes for either of them?
They are very similar in some ways so Im curious if its possible...
Thoughts?

OK, SO it depends the age of the cat. Once your bun has reached maturity i''d say if you are getting a kitten to introduce them slowly and carefully. Under supervision at all times. The reason i say kitten is because the kitten will not know any different. And it will get used to the bun being around.

Hope that helps! :D

Makes sense yes.. alrighty when you say "maturity" your thinking what? Over twenty one bunny years? to my calculations hes about 13years old hehe (almost 5 months)
But yes this makes sense ..

My first bunny Bandit was around 4 when we got our cat Nikko from my uncles who found her in a park in NYC. They were allergic to cats so couldn’t keep her so we took her in. She was almost fully grown (past 6 months under a year). As such she was energetic but not overly so and she had decent control of her strength. She was also old enough to learn things and retain them.

Bandit our dwarf hotot mix was a very confident bunny and didn’t mind playing with her. Sometimes they’d lie in the sun near each other after chasing each other around (she’d chase him, then they’d reverse and he’d chase her). Other times she would sleep in a chair and he’d sleep directly underneath it. He helped teach our cat not to view bunnies as prey. (Mice are fair game though, she somehow always finds them even as an indoor only cat...)

Nikko is now 17-18 and our current bunny Minyeong (now 1) gets along with her great. He follows her around which she tolerates and she bats him on the head with a soft paw (no claws extended though she easily could) when he goes too far. She’s too old to want to play with him though even when he tries. Even when we got this netherland dwarf bunny at 8 weeks he was a confident rabbit.

One thing you need to make sure of is that your bunny is self-confident. A confident rabbit will have an easier time meeting other animals. When it comes to a cat (just like with the bunny) personality is a big factor. If you go with an older cat, you may be able to adopt one that has a known mild temperament and a low prey drive. If you want to go with a young, be extremely watchful. Kittens do not know their own strength and can be extremely rough. When cats get between 6months to a year like our cat when we first got her, they are still playful but are more impressionable which could be a good time to establish that bunnies are “friends” not prey.

Rabbits and cats do get along, I’ve had my four rabbits in the same room with my cat their whole lives and they’ve done great, of course it depends on the cat and rabbit.

However, I would NEVER get a cat in the place of a companion rabbit. They are not the same animals and cannot communicate the same. Rabbits really need a second rabbit due to being very social animals that thrive in pairs.

Wow! Lots of information thank you soo much for all the information and stories 😍😍 Its a lot to think about for sure.. I'll consider it all more... thank you again 👍👍❤️

@Moonshadow I feel like mine is a bit shy, not that strong personality. Ive had him for only three weeks though so we'll see but at least the way he is now I think i'm leaning towards no. I want to make sure he's safe... i'll consider it a lot more.. Thank you soo much ❤️

Makes sense yes.. alrighty when you say "maturity" your thinking what? Over twenty one bunny years? to my calculations hes about 13years old hehe (almost 5 months)
But yes this makes sense ..
Maturity I'd say would be 21 bun years. I think. Bun years are confusing!

I like dogs and cats but would never adopt any when I have bunnies. It is bound to create stress which in itself can make bunnies ill. And I have seen too many posts about bunnies being killed by dogs or as a result of cat bites and scratches. Why not take your bun to a rescue and let him/her choose a bunny mate?

Having cats and rabbits is great! I suggest getting a kitten and raising it with the rabbit. Two of my cats had a litter of kittens and I raised all of them with Theo (my rabbit). I can’t tell you how many times I would go see them and all of them would be cuddling!
I did rescue a kitten and he was very playful and would attack Theo, but Theo nipped him once and he learned his lesson.

Latest posts

Back