To Bond or not to Bond

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyBabe

Reaction score
Hi all.

I rescued a dutch, Barney last year - he was put into rescue because, even as a baby, he'd put at least four other rabbits into the vet (sorry rabbits) as he's so aggressive. He hated other rabbits and would attack anything that even went near him - but had a (slight) soft spot for humans.

When we adopted him they said that he had the potential to be really loving but can only communicate through biting - we've largely taught him to not do that anymore, and when he does bite he obviously feels bad about it because he licks the same spot for hours till you stroke him. He's the naughtiest, most stubborn bun ever but he is very loving - he loves human company. (We'd still never leave him with children!!)

Anyway - I digress -

BASICALLY I have a question about bonding. He's a house rabbit and we spend hours with him a day but I'm worried he could be EVEN happier with a friend. My issue is I don't really want to risk it and it go really badly wrong - I don't have the space to have two separate buns. The UK aren't quite as good either at doing rabbit speed dating, or I'd give that a try.

Am I okay to leave him as a solo bunny? Are there every rabbits that prefer that?

I hope that makes sense and thanks for your help!

I’m in a similar situation, but my rabbit isn’t aggressive. Not to humans at least. I’m planning on bonding him, this summer, hopefully. Some rabbits aren’t meant to be bonded, that’s what the shelter said my rabbit was. If you have a strong feeling that, he will be okay with a friend, I’d go ahead with it.
It is okay to leave him single, if he gets lots of human attention and can’t be bonded.

This place will bond for you:
http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/

Thank you both! We’ll definitely look into that bonding centre - thanks so much!!

It might be that we keep him solo, but I would love a little friend!

Thanks all.

Xx

Latest posts

Back