To bond or not to bond...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indianavex

Reaction score
Hey RO!

My question is, my bun Cas has pretty much always been (rather happily) on her own. She was a breeding doe in a barn before I got her and since has been in a one-bun home. She's healthy, happy, stable, and tends to do fine being on her own. She's spayed (back in August) and bonded to me.

I've been considering getting her a bondmate, and I'm not sure if I should or not. I hear bunnies are happier with one and that it can make a reclusive bun more outgoing (follow example) or more reclusive (i have all the attention i want in here). I want one for her because I want her to come out of her shell a bit as well as have somebun there to be with her when I'm working and the like. I've been looking into male lionheads because they're adorable and around the same size as hollands.

I'm also wondering if I got her a buck boyfriend, would I have to get him neutered? Everything I read says does are more territorial than bucks, but Cassie has never shown an ounce of territoriality or aggression in her life! What do you all think?

I do believe rabbits enjoy the company of a fellow bun. But i also believe they can be perfectly happy alone too as long as they get enough attention from their human slave :)

Bonding two rabbits is tedious and a lot of work. So more importantly you should make sure you are ready for the challenge and ready to care for two buns.

If youndo decide to, yes you most DEFINITELY would want a neutered male. An unaltered buck would have no other interest other then attempt to mate with your doe. She'd eventually get tired of that and fight back. They would never form a true bond. Both rabbits in a bonded pair need to be altered to bond.

So with that being said the most ideal way to find a mate is to look at rescues that will have already neutered rabbits. That way, you can take your female there on bunny dates and she can help pick out who she is attracted too. I would avoid getting a baby as a baby will "like" any adult and then once hormones hit he could start getting aggressive, then youd have to seperate them, neuter him, and rebond again. Quite the process.

Neutered if at all, got it!

I'm actually freeing up some space (re: bye bye unnecessary furniture!) in my apartment for a bigger, better cage, so the transition period wouldn't be too awful I don't hope. I've just had a painful time trying to find rescues in my area (very rural) and the ones I do find never appear to have correctly sized males, let alone altered ones. C'est la vie.

I've also heard transporting bunnies in the same carrier can help with the bonding process? Traumatized together, stay together? Anyone think there's any credibility in that line of thinking?

You need not feel limited by rabbit size. Often 2 rabbits of quite different sizes bond. And while a male-female pair is usually preferred, a female can choose another female & live happily.

Besides being in a small cage together [I think preferably when bumping in a car on on top of a close washer or dryer], putting both in a dry bathtub also works. But initial sessions should be short & end on a good note.

But keep in mind that you could end up with 2 unbonded rabbits if you do the choosing.

It's true: I have two boys that love each other more than anything. Same sex bonds can work :D

One of my boys is a lionhead, and he is very chill and easygoing. I definitely recommend the breed. Bunny dating is the best way to go!

Good luck!

Neutered if at all, got it!

I'm actually freeing up some space (re: bye bye unnecessary furniture!) in my apartment for a bigger, better cage, so the transition period wouldn't be too awful I don't hope. I've just had a painful time trying to find rescues in my area (very rural) and the ones I do find never appear to have correctly sized males, let alone altered ones. C'est la vie.

I've also heard transporting bunnies in the same carrier can help with the bonding process? Traumatized together, stay together? Anyone think there's any credibility in that line of thinking?

I have limited bunny rescue options in my area as well. I just had to be patient and search. I finally found my boy :)

There is truth to stressing rabbits can make them form a bond. The theory is they seek comfort from each other and then therefore learn to like each other. However, I'm not necessarily a fan of stressing unless you are stuck in a rut with bonding or maybe need to rebond at some time. There is no reason to start off that way as you may never need to traumatized them (I never did) and also even if you stress them that doesn't mean they are automatically bonded so sometimes it's done and doesn't work.

I do agree same sex bonds do work but they are a bit more challenging and also are prone to spontaneous fighting along the way. If you want the cards to be stacked in your favor as best as possible, I would encourage a m/f pair.

Have I given you my favorite bonding article? I refer it to every one so I can't remember who I've shared it with or not. :) But check this out if you haven't already. It provides TONS of good bonding info.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

agnesthelion-- well, I don't intend to traumatize them intentionally. The closest rescue and breeders are 1.5-2hrs away as it stands. Either way, it'll be tough. Cassie's had to move with me a couple times and is fairly well versed in the art of car travel, but you can never know if the bun you're looking to get is quite as tolerant.

And I think I've read the article 4 or 5 times but who's to say I can't benefit from reading it again! xD

Well, stressing is intentionally traumatizing them :) haha. That's what I mean. If Cassie is fairly used to the car rides then it might not work then. Both buns would have to be scared, not just one. But if you do decide to do that, make sure there is someone with you while driving in case a fight would break out.
Best of luck, let us know what you decide! :)

Well, stressing is intentionally traumatizing them :) haha. That's what I mean. If Cassie is fairly used to the car rides then it might not work then. Both buns would have to be scared, not just one. But if you do decide to do that, make sure there is someone with you while driving in case a fight would break out.
Best of luck, let us know what you decide! :)

Latest posts

Back