Tips on how to get along with you bunny and litter training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
LITTER TRAINING

So I started litter training him last month or the other month but the progress is pretty low but he do know where to pee (which is inside his litter box) but he don't know how to poop inside his litter box I keep putting his poop inside it but still no progress plus he always pees 3/2/more times outside his letterbox, I understand that litter training is the most frustrated time in being a bunny parent but it's been 1 or 2 months since I've litter trained him it makes me mad and frustrated, now my grandma is saying that the bunny is no good and can't be litter trained of course he is difficult to litter train since he is not nuetured unlike her bunnies she litter trained but the way she litter trained her bunnies is very dangerous to the bunnies where she carry them by the ears and wipe their butt to the place where you want them to poop and pee and guess what, she did the same thing to my bunny without me knowing and my bunny ended up knowing where he would poop and pee but that's outside the cage not in his litter box (BTW I'm using news paper as the surface and I removed his litter cuz he dont want to step on them, I would like to use pee pads but I'm not allowed to go to the mall plus my mom won't let me buy them) but now he is caged up in his pen for hours because of the rat poison my grandmother put out and placed everywhere in the house but I found a way to give him some free roaming time but the space is not that big but he still gets to binky and zoom around, that made me happy. I even prayed for him to be litter trained but at least he knows where to pee. I plan to beg my grandmother to let him be a free roam bunny when he is completely litter trained but I think that will be many years/ months later until he is litter trained, I am losing hope in him for getting litter trained but I tried my best to not lose hope since that means giving up. Any suggestions that I should do guys?

GETTING ALONG WITH BUNNY

I'm sad that he doesn't fully trust me yet but he does let me pet him and maybe the reason why is because I give him food 🤔 Btw I am not allowed to lay down the floor and let him sniff me because out floor is unpolished and it is full of dust but his floor(inside the cage) is not dirty anymore since I always cleaned them. I also cannot go in the playpen, it is a 6 panel pen and the top is covered since he knows how to jump and the playpen is 64 cm high so he can jump. Every Bunny has their own ways and personality well my bunny is very focused on food more than other stuff and when I try teaching him tricks he doesn't follow my finger but he follows the food and no matter how many times I try it he focuses o. The food more than the trick I also tried it without food but still doesn't work but I don't mind teaching him tricks I also tried sharing bananas with him and it did go pretty well but when I take a bite he will be hesitant I'm eating the banana but he still ate it. 😅

That sounds like its working for training. You can use positive encouragement when he does somthing right, that always helps a lot. Also if your grandma is treating her rabbits like that it is best not to take her advice. Holding a bunny by the ears has so many effects on a bunny that only hurt them. Just keep owing on traing! Good luck!

That sounds like its working for training. You can use positive encouragement when he does something right, that always helps a lot. Also if your grandma is treating her rabbits like that it is best not to take her advice. Holding a bunny by the ears has so many effects on a bunny that only hurt them. Just keep owing on traing! Good luck!
Yes I did not take her advise and I never did, my grandmother also told me that "I should just carry him by the ear because that's how you should carry a bunny" that's what she said but I only carry him in the safest I could possibly can, I even ho to YouTube on how to carry a bunny properly 🤣. Thank you for the Luck I need it. ☺️

That sounds like its working for training. You can use positive encouragement when he does somthing right, that always helps a lot. Also if your grandma is treating her rabbits like that it is best not to take her advice. Holding a bunny by the ears has so many effects on a bunny that only hurt them. Just keep owing on traing! Good luck!
Sadly her Bunnies did not make it I don't know the breed but they have white fur and red eyes according to her description. 1 boy and 1 girl both not spayed and neutured since she didn't know that. She only had them for 7 months and I don't want to tell what happened to them since it can be sensitive to other rabbit owners and rabbit lovers. I really Love my Bunny and I don't want anything to happen to him.

But @bunnylove2024 how about the litter training thing? He still pee outside his litter box but he only do those a few times every night plus he has 2 litter boxes inside his cage and I know I should've just put one in his cage but he does pee and poop at the other spot too but he still has poop everywhere. What should I do? It's been like 2/3 months already when I started litter training him. But I know I can't do nothing about it since he is not neutured (we don't have a savy vet here so I can't do that). But any suggestions that I should do?

Your bunny is in the teenage period, keep on cleaning and correct. Around 1 year old you can notice if he will be litter trained before it will impossible with all the hormones going around in his system.

Sometimes you can see them lifting their tail up, if they are at the wrong place just say no and herd them to the litter box if your bunny used with picking up, pick up and place in the litter box. When your bunny go give a reward but often it can be hard to notice your bunny planning to go.

Bunnies often do a slight lift of the tail when they are going to pee, some are easier to spot than others ☺

Just to reinforce that going to the litter box is good.

Sometimes you can see them lifting their tail up, if they are at the wrong place just say no and herd them to the litter box if your bunny used with picking up, pick up and place in the litter box. When your bunny go give a reward but often it can be hard to notice your bunny planning to go.

Bunnies often do a slight lift of the tail when they are going to pee, some are easier to spot than others ☺

Just to reinforce that going to the litter box is good.
Okay, but when I try to pick him up(I know that bunnies hate being picked up) he will jump away from my hand, plus the top of his cage is covered so it is difficult for me to pick him up from above so I have to crawl in his cage.

S
Okay, but when I try to pick him up(I know that bunnies hate being picked up) he will jump away from my hand, plus the top of his cage is covered so it is difficult for me to pick him up from above so I have to crawl in his cage.
Sorry for the sudden change, I accidentally logged out and forgot my password hehehe. 😅😅

Maybe use a basket or travel cage to carry your bunny until you can train your bunny. Myself have no problem picking my bunnies up now. But I have put down a lot of time and taking it in my bunnies own tempo ☺

I still give treats everytime I pick one of my bunnies up and when I put him down on the floor. Just to reinforce that picking up is nothing dangerous.

I think it’s wrong saying all bunny hate being picked and will stay that way. Some you can train and at least make them tolerate to be picked up, others might never get used to it. You should at least try training and get your bunny used to be picked up. Of the 5 bunnies I have/ had owned all of them have always accepted to be picked up and handled. But it have taken a lot of times and they all have/had different tolerance and acceptance. For example my bunny Odin, small kids can pick him up and he will be calm and relaxed. While my bunny Toste is only me and my little brother that can pick him up.

He is so stubborn and I just plan to hang his bowl infront of the litter, that is my plan, maybe he will learn but I don't know of it'll work

You said that he isn't neutered, right? You need to find a vet that will do it, otherwise you may try training him to litter properly for years and it still wouldn't really work. Good job on not taking your granny's advice! I know i got so mad at mum when she once (i guess while drunk) lifted Storm by his ears and bum.

You said that he isn't neutered, right? You need to find a vet that will do it, otherwise you may try training him to litter properly for years and it still wouldn't really work. Good job on not taking your granny's advice! I know i got so mad at mum when she once (i guess while drunk) lifted Storm by his ears and bum.
You may not know but there is only one vet clinic in my province and they only do cats and dogs, I messaged them through messenger and they said that they don't treat/take exotic pets.

I searched vet clinic near me in Google maps and their are a lot but a lot of those vets are mostly in cebu which is like so far away. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ google maps should be fixed

You may not know but there is only one vet clinic in my province and they only do cats and dogs, I messaged them through messenger and they said that they don't treat/take exotic pets.
I have read you say that before. When i google mapped for vets, half of those existing don't even show up and one that was on the map existed nowhere in real life!
I've read that there' a fb group of bunny lovers in the philippines. Have you asked around there?

I have read you say that before. When i google mapped for vets, half of those existing don't even show up and one that was on the map existed nowhere in real life!
I've read that there' a fb group of bunny lovers in the philippines. Have you asked around there?
Yes I just joined them. My mum knows a vet but he/she is on vacation (because of the coronavirus) and my mum can't even contact him

Latest posts

Back