Tips on clipping nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk8tercereal

Reaction score
I know i just posted but i have another question. My bunnies HATE being held like they will scratch and jump out so fast so what is the best way to clip their nails without completely traumatizing them and making them forever hate me?

My Netherland dwarf is the same way. It’s taken over a year for him to let me trim all of his nails at the same time. Start with just clipping two or three nails and then letting your rabbit take a break and give them treats. The best way is just to sit on a stool in a different room than what they’re used to. Gently pull out the front paw clipping just a couple to start. I used to have to rap Echo in a bunny burrito to keep him from biting me. It definitely takes patience, I never thought I would get there with my boy, but it did get so much easier and I’m now able to sit down and do all of them pretty comfortably in one setting.

My Netherland dwarf is the same way. It’s taken over a year for him to let me trim all of his nails at the same time. Start with just clipping two or three nails and then letting your rabbit take a break and give them treats. The best way is just to sit on a stool in a different room than what they’re used to. Gently pull out the front paw clipping just a couple to start. I used to have to rap Echo in a bunny burrito to keep him from biting me. It definitely takes patience, I never thought I would get there with my boy, but it did get so much easier and I’m now able to sit down and do all of them pretty comfortably in one setting.
Im gonna have to try this thank you so much!

Find a local rabbit rescue/shelter and ask them to trim your buns nails for you. Most will do it for a small fee or for free. The staff/volunteers will be experienced and trained to handle difficult bunnies. They can also demonstrate how you can do it yourself.
I work at a shelter and foster the shy bunnies with trust issues. Even though I can do it myself, I prefer to have them do it so the buns don't associate unpleasant experiences with me.

Latest posts

Back