tips on catching a bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopeG

Reaction score
Okay, so I have my bunny in a large cage in one of our extra rooms. I try to let him out to hop around the room every day, I just bought him on Sunday. He is a little over 2 months old. When he's hopping around and its time to put him back in the cage, I have a really hard time catching him. The lady I bought him from said to curl his bottom under him to help him feel secure, but he always slides out of my hands! I end up having to somewhat corner him to catch, then I'm afraid he's going to be afraid of me for doing that, but I don't know how else to get him. Does anyone have any tips on an easier way to catch him? Or do you think he just needs a little bit more time to get used to it here? It hasn't even been week that I've had him. Thanks!

I would use a piece of cardboard, about the size of a movie poster, to help block your bunny from running away from you when it's time to go back in the cage. If you are fast enough, stick it in front of him and he will have to run the other way. If he happens to run towards you when you do this, drop the cardboard and grab him. If he tries to go around it, keep moving the cardboard piece so that it is always in front of his face and he has no other option but to go the way you want him to go. You could do this to try and corral him back into his cage if it's on the floor, it really depends on how fast he is and how fast you are. Just keep blocking him from running away till the only option is to run in his cage or to a corner where you can easily pick him up.

I use a dog pen that I stretch out and use to block my bunnies when it's time to go back in their hutch, just leaving one path for them to hop that leads to the opening to their cage. But that's definitely not a cheap option.

Also, don't feel bad if your bunny doesn't like to be held. I've had my bunnies for almost a year, they are both fixed and I feed them all sorts of great vegetables and clean their cage, but they still really don't like to be held at all. Some bunnies are like that no matter what. And you haven't had your bunny long, he is still trying to figure out if you are a predator or not.

Does your bunny have a favourite snack? Maybe if you just sit in the room and wait for him to come to you, you could give him a treat. It might be easier to pick him up if he knows he'll get something nice to eat...a little piece of pear is my bunny's favourite treat! :)

Maybe if you pick him up and you're far away from his cage, try to stay low-ish to the ground. being up high could be scary for a bunny I imagine.

the way my bunny likes to be piked up is if I put my left hand under him bunny bum and my right hand under his arms/chest. then i can just lift him up and it's kinda like he's standing on his back legs, only I'm holding him :p

It took a long time for my bunny to let me pick him up and carry him around, I'm sure with a bit of time your bunny will be happy to be picked up :)

Derby is hard to catch too. We usually put down one of his favourite stuffies and she cons him into coming over and nudging her( well now he is in puberty he does more than nudge lol ) and we can pick him up. It usually take two of us to catch him.

Latest posts

Back