Tips for photographing your beloved bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karaliene

Reaction score
Not only am I a major rabbit fan, I'm also a major photography fan! (and hand-lettering, and yoga, and chickens, and crafting, but those are other stories ;))

So I decided to dig up a few tips on photographing our pet rabbits...
- Get down to your bunny's level
- Have a simple background - you want your bunny to stand out, right?
- Blur the background! Go for that adorable bokeh!
- Focus on the eyes
- Take time to groom the rabbit before the pictures are taken
- Some will say have the light behind you. But if you're good enough with a camera to manage backlighting - I love backlighting - go for that too!
- Avoid the flash.

Does anyone else have any tips or cute photos?

Day light is the best light if you are taking a picture specially if it’s a black bunny.

Not really into taking pictures but I often don’t care when taking pictures of my bunnies. They always look cute either way.

It will also help being two when taking a picture one distracting the bunny while you take the shot or let your bunny eat something yummy.

The quality of the photo will change a lot because of lightning. Myself like taking picture in the evening or dawn, middle of the day with direct sunlight make the picture look a bit cold and you get a bit of an orange light sometimes. The lightning of the day changes with season, at least that what I think. Everyone have different experience and I’m not an expert about cameras or how they work. I just like spamming my little brother and best friend with pictures of my bunnies 🤣

With phones it’s good to think how the camera focus, it will change how the colour become in the pictures because of lighting and it will blur the background. With iphones you can lock the focus and change the exposer/light before taking a picture.

The picture of Lilja (blue french lop) are two different picture that have been taking during different weather conditions but it’s the same season and same time. You can truly see how the lighting make the picture look differently even though I used the same phone, same time and only one day different 🤣 Both are taking in the evening but one was taken when it was really cloudy.

While the picture of Odin when everything have a yellow undertone is taken middle of the day with direct sunlight.

Attachments

• 3BB3D366-0310-4AD0-A8AF-B2B4AF0483CD.jpeg
    3BB3D366-0310-4AD0-A8AF-B2B4AF0483CD.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 53031B4C-045B-48BC-A87F-B0AB796B303C.jpeg
    53031B4C-045B-48BC-A87F-B0AB796B303C.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 3
  • CEF09EC2-455A-4B2C-9E27-3F15C28B8726.jpeg
    CEF09EC2-455A-4B2C-9E27-3F15C28B8726.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FA08F4F6-9226-46EE-847F-FAF9044FA234.jpeg
    FA08F4F6-9226-46EE-847F-FAF9044FA234.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2E3AD664-A063-40BD-9BB4-E798280E262D.jpeg
    2E3AD664-A063-40BD-9BB4-E798280E262D.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Wow! They're lovely pictures - and lovely rabbits, too! Thanks for the tips - and yes it's definitely true that the light changes throughout the day.

A few things I like to keep in mind when shooting:

- The rule of thirds. A lot of people just center their subject and shoot away. There are good uses for this however using the rule of thirds the majority of the time will greatly improve your composition. The main idea behind it is that people's eyes are naturally drawn to certain places/points of an image. Using this rule in your photos places what you want the viewer to focus on at one of these points the eyes are drawn to. It's a simple to use technique and a link to the technique is below.

- The above is important to me, but this is the biggie: look at the entire scene that will be in the photo before taking the picture. Nothing sucks worse than taking an incredible shot then looking at it and seeing a tree growing out someone's head when moving a step or two one way or the other would have eliminated that.

https://photographylife.com/the-rule-of-thirds

Thanks, yes - rules like the rule of thirds often go unhindered, but they can make such a difference!

Latest posts

Back