Tiny spot of flaky skin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilsakli

Reaction score
I was brushing my female rabbit today and felt a small bump on her upper back. I assumed it must be a tick as I found one on her a few months ago. Upon closer inspection it looks like a raised, flaky lesion. It looks yellow. Quite small like quarter the size of a pencil eraser. I don’t see this anywhere else on her body. She does have a patch of missing fur to the right side of her lower back, but no redness or flaking there. I don’t know if that’s an isolated case from overbrushing. Also both my rabbits were in a huge fight 1.5 months ago when she jumped over her xpen - there was fur everywhere throughout my apartment. Could this be a bite wound from that time or could she have the beginning of fur mites? She does not appear to be scratching more than usual and my male rabbit is unaffected.

Attachments

• F0C30796-0307-4D42-A250-F93AB4813C67.jpeg
    F0C30796-0307-4D42-A250-F93AB4813C67.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 6
  • 5EE65C21-A8C8-4AF5-9621-40F94F20F58B.jpeg
    5EE65C21-A8C8-4AF5-9621-40F94F20F58B.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 5
A scab and fur pulled out from the fight, maybe, but it seems like it's been too long since it happened for it to be the cause. Mites are more likely. Fur mites will cause dandruffy skin and fur loss. Because the spot lower down doesn't have dandruffy skin, maybe from her molt starting or from the brushing.

You could wait to see if it worsens or starts getting better if you want. Or go to the vet now and have them do a skin scrape for mites. If is mites, easiest treatment would be one spot on application of Revlution(selamectin, 18mg/kg). The other treatment is ivermectin, 3 treatments 2 weeks apart. If this doesn't clear up with mite treatment, then there is something called sebaceous adenitis that will cause crusting of the skin, but it's pretty rare, and usually occurs in combination with a more serious health issue.

Medirabbit: fur mites

https://www.vgr1.com/revolution/
Medirabbit: sebaceous adenitis

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back