Tiny poops but no chamges in diet.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
After a great 5 weeks post molar trimming, Alfie started pooping small dry poops. At first 25% then 50% of his daily number of poops (which hasn't changed in actual count). He eats 1 tbsp oxbow pellets twice day and unlimited hay, Timothy, oat etc. Only Oxbow treats. 1 per day.
5 days ago he had good poops, over 400 a day, then 350, then over 400 again. Yesterday the all poops became very small and he stopped eating hay. No other changes except that he is an Angora and here is ALWAYS hair in his poops. I started him on metachloprmide as always. I wonder, when he was eating so much hay, and so active and great, why did this suddenly happen. I started syringe feeding him critical care but it seemed to make him depressed and he's not losing weight anyway. He has a standing appointment every 8 weeks for a molar trimmer (2 years now) so I know it's not his teeth. Does anyone else experience this drop in poops and appetite?

If it's not his teeth, he could have an upset stomach from something he ate. That can cause a sudden loss of appetite and reduced fecal output. Or if enough fur was ingested for form a matted felt piece, that could cause a sudden partial or full obstruction. Keep in mind that a sudden loss of appetite can be caused by gas pain. If the stomach itself is bloating, syringe feeding should not be attempted as this will create more pressure in the stomach, and onto the heart and lungs as well. Gut stimulants are contraindicated as well in cases of bloat due to the risk of rupture. Bloat would be an immediate medical emergency.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Acute_gastrointestinal_dilation

I found a couple syringes of unsweetened pineapple juice works really well. Use from pineapple in cans in its own juice.

You didn't mention how often you brush him. Since he is an angora and you're seeing a lot of fur in his poop, I would second JBun's suggestion that he may have a blockage. I would not use any fruit juices, but try to get more fluid in him via wetted greens, syringing water, water bowl instead if he is using a bottle, etc. When my bunnies get smaller poops, giving subcutaneous fluids and belly “jiggling” works wonders. With an angora, I'd definitely recommend learning how to give subq fluids.

Also consider giving him a short haircut, especially in summer, so he doesn't ingest as much fur. That's what I did when I had a Jersey Wooly in the 90's, and he had far fewer problems with digestion.

Latest posts

Back