Tiny patch on nose, red/weepy eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pani

Bunny servant Lotte
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Noticed over the last couple of days a small white patch on Delilah's face. It's just above her nose and absolutely tiny - probably no more than 2mm in diameter - looks like it could be sort of scabby but it's honestly too small to tell. Doesn't seem to 'scratch' off easily, although I didn't want to be too rough and upset her. It's not increased in size at all.

We've also noticed her right eye is quite pink and a little weepy. It looks just like when Felix's tear duct was blocked up and I suspect we just need to have it flushed, but just wanted to note that in case it's related to the nose patch at all. She alternates between holding it open, half-closed, and entirely closed, although it's open more often than not.

She's an indoor house rabbit, two other rabbits in the house however they're in their own room and she's not bonded to them. She has snuck into their room on occasion, although not in the last 2 weeks or so.

Her behaviour hasn't changed at all. She was in a fantastic mood yesterday, binkying all over the place and giving us a billion licks.

The nose patch:

a5RnXmb.jpg

Her eye:

J11mTe5.jpg

5DwcV3a.jpg

The spot doesn't look too concerning to me at this point (it could change), however they eye thing could be anything from a clogged tear duct to teeth issues. I'd take her to the vet for a thorough check up for the eye, and have the doctor look at the nose spot too, just in case.

It could be something simple like an eye issue or even possibly rabbit syphilis, but my concern would be the possibility of myxomatosis, since it can cause swelling around the eyes and nodular spots like that on the nose. . You have that there in Australia right? And no vaccination for it if I remember correctly. If this is a possibility, you really need to get her seen immediately, today, just in case.

Not being there and being able to see her exact symptoms, I can only make a guess from what I see in the pictures, but hopefully I'm just overreacting and she just has some irritation to her eye.

It might be everything mentionned above (it doesn't look like myxomatosis to me, as it causes the eyes to bulge out of their sockets and it would affect both eyes). I personnally would be more concerned about a dental problem. Weepy eyes are caracteristic of a root infection. The bald patch might just be caused by the wetness from the eye...

It could be something simple like an eye issue or even possibly rabbit syphilis, but my concern would be the possibility of myxomatosis, since it can cause swelling around the eyes and nodular spots like that on the nose. . You have that there in Australia right? And no vaccination for it if I remember correctly. If this is a possibility, you really need to get her seen immediately, today, just in case.
We do have it here, yes - would it just effect one eye? Her other eye is perfectly fine.

Thank you for your responses everyone. As long as she stays in her current state, I think we'll take her to the vet in a few days time (as I've got work the next 3 days). If she worsens at all, we'll bundle up for an emergency trip.

I've been Googling myxomatosis (it's heartbreaking :( ) and I'll be on high alert for any further symptoms. That patch on her nose is absolutely tiny, and I've not been able to find any similar pictures, all other myxomatosis nodules seem to be red/black and larger.

Latest posts

Back