Timothy vs. Alfalfa hay for baby bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Do you use timothy or alfalfa hay for baby bunnies under 3 months, and why? I personally use Timothy but I've considered switching to alfalfa for future litters ☺️

Would like to hear other people's opinions on which is better, particularly from breeders regarding holland lops!! thank you 💕

I’m not a breeder but when I get a kit I never feed alfalfa. I want the kits to be used with the hay they will eat normally and make sure they will like it.

Alfalfa hay is sweeter and have more calcium which can make the bunny have a hard time switching from alfalfa hay to timothy hay, because alfalfa hay taste better. Also some kits are sensitive to the extra calcium intake.

So myself just go with an alfalfa based pellets and timothy hay if I have a kit growing up ☺️

I use alfalfa based pellets (Purina Complete) and Bermuda hay for babies. As they age I stop giving bermuda hay so they only get alfalfa based pellets. The hay isn't really there for nutritional reasons; just to aid in stress and keep them eating while they wean onto solid pellets.

Latest posts

Back