Timothy Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreo1

Reaction score
Hi-my bunny isn’t a massive fan of Timothy hay. The vet suggested mixing it with orchard hay which is sweeter but that that didn’t seem to help much. She also isn’t a huge fan of Timothy/alfalfa based chews. Has anyone noticed a difference between first cut verse second cut Timothy hay? I’m wondering if that would make a difference? Thanks

Thank you for replying. My vet stressed Timothy hay over the others maybe for nutrient content?

Many people often chose to not feed Timothy hay and chose other grass hays, due to allergies or other things. I’ve found Timothy to just be the most widely available.

No I was just wondering. Is one cut better to help keep their teeth done? That’s heard with their teeth

I don’t think that any cut is better than the other. The rabbits should get constant access to hay, especially if they have teeth problems

Different cut of timothy hay will have different nutrients value and also pollen. Myself can’t handle the season grass blooms because if I buy that hay my allergy will be off the roof. I think first cut should have the most fiber and it’s before hay start blooming, while third had the lowest fiber count ☺

Maybe try buy hay from farmers, some hay my bunnies won’t eat and other hay they will go crazy for. Direct from a farm at least make sure my bunnies will like it.

Last edited:
My rabbit didn't like (Oxbox) timothy hay either, and she wouldn't really eat it. I now put orchard hay underneath, and 3rd cut timothy hay on top, which she likes and is now eating pretty frequently. I got both from www.SmallPetsSelect.com.

I tried mixing it with the orchard hay too but got luke warm reception.

Latest posts

Back