Timothy hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJohnson

Reaction score
Mom called all the feedstores in town today aswell as went by the petsmart and no one had timothy hay or carriesit...I really want this stuff for Peter, since its so good for them,but I don't know where to get it. Any ideas?

Hi TJohnson,

They definitely should have them in the petstores. We'll have to ask BuckJones as well where he gets his hay from.

I do purchase mine from a petshop, and sometimes at the end of theweek, they'll run out. I always buy a few bags at a time when it'sthere.

Why don't you try calling Petsmart back or a petstore close to you andask them if/when they'll have it. They sell it at Agway if you have onethere. What about a WalMart nearby?

What a drag! Let us know when and where you find it. Sorry you'rehaving such a Time of it. Peter's a lucky bunny to have you go throughall of this work and worry for him.

:)

-Carolyn

Yellow Pages, under hay, I believe.Equestrian stores, stables, horse race tracks, farms, all should have,or know of the wereabouts of some hay, to include timothy.Internet query will find outlets on line,if none near you physicallly.

Buck

What is timothy hay?
Do they have it in England?
Do they eat it or do you put it down for bedding? I just getnormal hay from my local pet store, am i dong anything wrong?
lots of love
lauren n ebs n fudge
xoxoox:)

Timothy hay is one of many kinds of hay andgrasses that are fed to animals. It is often recommended torabbits because of its high fiber, lower protein content, which helpsto scour out rabbits' intestinal system and keep them healthy.

In the U.S. most rabbit fanciers feed their buns alfalfa based pellets,which are higher in protein and lower in fiber. It they wereto feed alfalfa hay, another common hay, in addition to thepellets,some believe it would cause an overload of too rich adiet and lead to problems. Not everyone agrees with that lineof thinking.

Yes, I am fairly certain one can find timothy hay in the U.K.It is a common hay grown on many farms and used for many animals.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
It they were to feed alfalfa hay,another common hay, in addition to the pellets,some believeit would cause an overload of too rich a diet and lead toproblems. Not everyone agrees with that line of thinking.

Buck

The line of thinking about the alfalfa is very true :) That'swhy most people feed timothy (and not alfalfa) to their horses, unlessthey are high performance animals. Dairymen will often feedalfalfa to their heifers for milk production.

Alfalfais high vitamins and minerals, which is good forgrowth and for animals in production, but is too high in minerals (suchas calcium) for a maintenance diet. Timothy based pellets area good choice for pet rabbits or older rabbits.

Pam

Thanks guys...I'll definatley have mom try callingPetsmart again...I really want the best for Petey. I feel so bad causewe've had him for a few days now and I haven't got everything for himthat I promised myself I would. I've GOT toget those nails trimmedthough...its so funny (though probably a little cruel :?) when hesrunning around on the carpet..sometimes his nails get stuck and he hopsSO HIGH to get them off...of its so cute. then when hes running aroundin the kitchen he slides on the linoleum...its cute, but I feel bad forhim :( But I'll see what I can do to get everything taken care of...hesso adorable!

Hi, I too, was having a problem getting qualityhay for my Buns. I was directed to Oxford Meadows Hay a little over sixmonths ago and have been buying from them ever since. You might want totry them, too.

http://www.oxfordmeadowshay.com/

Their "grass/hay" is excellent. Always fresh, always green with hardlyany loss. My rabbits love it. Plus, your hands don't get ripped apartfrom the stalks that are usually found in other hay products. Theprices are reasonable and they deliver, usually within 3 days. I can'tsay enough for their hay. Charlotte

Yes, you might want to get those nails trimmedSOON if he is catching them on the carpet and "pulling" hisfeet up high to extract them. He is in a state that may causehim to rip one or more of his nails out, with commensurate injury, notto mention bleeding all over the carpet. Forwarned isforearmed.

Buck

I couldn't agree more with Buck. Notgood that he's catching his nails. It's only a matter of timebefore he gets hurt and is in pain from the nails being solong.

Perhaps you could take him to the vet and have them walk you throughthe process the first few times if you're nervous. I'm surethey'd be more than happy to help.

-Carolyn

Oh, I'm glad someone posted this thread!

I have two huge bags of Timothy hay here, but not all of it isgreen. Can my bunny still eat the hay after it turns "yellow"or should only green hay be served?

When hay turns that "yellow" or "golden" color, itis actually called straw then. It's used for bedding because it's notharmful if eaten and keep warmth in if outside in the winter. It's lostmost if not all of the goodness that it once had when it was green. Itwon't hurt them to feed it, they just aren't getting the requirednutrients from it. I would suggest getting a bag of greener stuff forfeeding so they stay healthy!

Laura

Not being a farm type, you may be correct, but Ithought straw was a different thing(plant) all together. Thestraw that I buy is nothing like hay. It is yellow andwide, about 1/4", and softer than most hay I've seen. I'veread that straw has about no nutritional value whatsoever, but makesexcellent bedding because it is hollow, and therefore, has greatinsulating potential.

Perhaps, you can provide a little more background information on straw,like what kind of hay does it come from, forexample? Anything you can add that will clarifythis issue in my mind would be appreciated.

Buck

okay people lets take a step back because I now realise Timothy hay is a must have.
Right.
Do you know a place (i li ve in englnd dont forget) that i can get any kind of hay that is is/is like timothy hay?
Or is there anywhere i can order it? (cheaply!!!)
Lots o' wuv
Loz n the bunnies
xoxoxx

I would think any place that deals with livestockand/or horses. Check your Yellow Pages of the phone book as agood start. If not there, try asking someone who keepshorses. Even the mounted police officers and miltary guards in andabout London must get their hay from somewhere. Try callingthe London Police Department, as they might give you a lead ordirection to go in, at least.

When we were in London, our hosts took us to a "gardencenter" where one could purchase lawn ornaments, lawn furniture, allsorts of plants, fencing, hammocks,etc. In addition, they hada fairly large pet shop area, selling feed, hay, hutches, bedding,toys, leashes, harnesses, etc for rabbits, as well as sellingrabbits! It's around, you just may have search a bit.

For a better understanding of hay and some of the issues surroundingits use for rabbits, link to:http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/hay_grass.html

Buck

Buck,

I was around horses for a few years and picked up on a few things. Ialso thought straw was another plant. But hay that has sat in the sunfor too long and yelled, or yellowed with age is called straw. Straw issimply lost the nutrients and the chlorophyll that makes hay green. Itis indeed the same thing. :)But it may very well also be adifferent plant, also, I really don't know. It could be that both arestraw.

Okay, here's 2 things I just came upon while doing my research because Buck peaked my curiousity!

Hay is grass or other vegetation that is cut and dried for use asanimal feed. Straw is the hollow stalks left after threshing somethinglike wheat or oats or other grain crops. Hay usually has a highermoisture and nutritional content.

The real difference between hay and straw is not the plants fromwhich they are made, but in the stage of maturity of the plant atharvest.

So perhaps we are both right? Straw may be made from both and are justreferred to as the same. You are right, the straw I have is wider andlarger, but I have seen straw that has quite small, thin pieces too, soI'm assuming that was originally hay that yellowed.

Okay, thanks for the tip!

Here I go running to the store again for my baby!:) Well, at least I can use the "yellow" hay for the beddingin his litter box. There is quite a bit of "green" stillmixed in, but if it's the "green" he needs for nutrition I do need togo and get more so that he can graze comfortably.

Latest posts

Back