Timothy Hay for 2 month old rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hufflepuffluna

Reaction score
Hello! Currently I am taking care of a friend’s 2 month old rabbit (Fluff) until she can take it (it’s going to have a new family). Other than that i have a 2 year old rabbit so I only have Timothy hay.

Since I don’t have Alfalfa hay, and i won’t buy it since i’ll only take care of Fluff for a few days, is it okay if Fluff eats Timothy hay until it has its new family?

I appreciate any advice!

Hi! It’s so kind of you to look after your friends rabbit while they can’t look after it. Timothy hay will be okay. Do you have any alfalfa or junior pellets that you can feed Fluff, or could you borrow some from your friend?
Im not sure if you should just feed Timothy hay and Timothy pellets, but I know Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets is okay. @Blue eyes

Hi! Thanks for replying!

Since my friend hasn’t owned a bunny before, they don’t have anything for Fluff.

I actually don’t know about the type of pellets we have. We just buy them off a local pet store.

Wherever the 2 mos old came from, they should have provided some of the pellets that the rabbit had been used to eating. That is customary when sending a new rabbit home. It's important to keep a young bunny on the same pellets especially while moving to a new home (even moreso if bunny has to move twice). Moving is stressful and itself can lead to GI stress. Changing pellets in addition only increases the chances of GI stress. So doing both (moving and changing diets) is best avoided. If you can find out what brand/type of pellets the young one has been getting, that would be best. Your friend will need those anyway. Hay choice isn't that critical and timothy will be fine.

(If you read the first ingredient listed on your bag of pellets, you'll see whether it is alfalfa hay or timothy hay. If it isn't either, please post here what it is.)

Latest posts

Back