Timothy Hay Allergies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
Hi guys! I recently bought a bag of timothy hay from the farm supply store to try it out with Bunster, and find out I am as I suspected, allergic to it. It's not horrible but in the mornings I am sneezing and my nose is running and it is no fun. I noticed the bag I bought had a lot of seed heads and is pretty coarse which I think makes it a first cut? I thought I read somewhere that second or third cuts of timothy hay may be less triggering for allergy sufferers. Can anyone confirm?

I do have orchard grass too but Bunster seems to prefer the timothy hay over the orchard grass so I don't want to give up timothy completely if I don't have to.

I've bought bales of timothy that seemed to be more loaded with pollen and made me sneeze. My guess was they were first cuts with seed heads ripe with pollen. Like yours it seemed to be more coarse. So what I use now is probably a second cut and is a mix of coarse stem and leaf, and it doesn't cause me any sneezing issues(except the dust).

Latest posts

Back