Timmy's hip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
I got this email from my mom this morning. It's hard for me to tell her much without being there to see and feel it, but I thought that you guys might have some thoughts on it.
A little over a week ago he stopped eating for a day. I gave him half a dose of metacam we had and lots of tummy massages and he picked up eating again.

Then as I was driving across the country, my mom called to say he was doing it again. She dosed him with some aspirin and simethicone, but according to her he still won't eat his hay.
We've had him for nearly 4 years now; he was full grown when we adopted him so we don't know how old he is. Until now he's never given us any trouble.

So this is the email which has all the information I have.

"Hi Christina - Timmy will eat fresh greens, but he does not want his hay. If I poke a strand at his face, he will bite it but he won't eat it. (Fiona eats the hay, so it'snot "bad" hay.) He'll eat papaya treat or yogurt drop treats, but I don't want to give himtoo many of those...just to fill him up...because I know that that is not good for him. He had made a mess of himself last week afterhe'd had a huge dumping of cecatropes and then sat in them and got them all over his feet and all over both levels of his condo, but I cleanedhis cage and he managed to clean himself up very nicely after I toweled him off. One of his hind legs turns out to the side a bit and he kinda drags it when he walks.He can walk. He still goes up and down to both levels of his cage. I tend to think it's a dislocated hip, as he lets me feel all his leg bonesand doesn't seem in pain when I touch any specific area on his leg/hip/foot. Anything I read about "it" on the internet seems to say that a vet can manipulate the hip back into the socket but that will probably just pop back out in the near future. "They" seem to think that the solution is cutting off the head of the femur and making a new "ball" joint....surgery. I am more than willing to take him inand have X-rays made to see if it's dislocated. It might be some type of infection in the hip joint (??), but I think he'd have other symptoms. Last week when you were giving him the gas meds and baby aspirin treatment, he seemed to be having an intestinal bug. Later in the week, he was gnashing his teeth and seemed in pain to me. He has notdone that for days now! That'swhen I'd given him several doses of the aspirin and gas meds and then just the aspirin over 2 days. He seems to be alert and doing okay now, just no appetite for hay...drinkingvery minimally (so I think it's good that he likes FRESH veggies, for their "water")...and holds his hind leg "funny" when he walks. He is pooping and peeing. His pooballs are brown and round but a much smaller size, due to no hay fiber I assume. So...I am more than willing to take him in for X-rays, but I wonder what the next step will be IF it's dislocated. If it's an infection, I assume meds would be Rx'd. But if it's dislocated, not sure how much $$ I'm willing to lay out. I love the little guy dearly,but I just don't want to spend $1,000 on him at this point. Your thoughts...............??? "

I agree that he needs to see a vet mainly to be diagnosed After he is diagnosed you can decide whether you want to proceed f with surgery etc.

In the meantime a probiotic may also help him. he could very well still be in pain and just eating what he mainly likes because of it.

I agree that pain may be the cause of the diet changes. It sounds like the pain has decreased some since the day your mom gave him the simethicone and aspirin, but since he's still not eating right it's probably still there. It's possible that there is a mechanical injury to the joint, so I would get an x-ray soon.

Another possibility I hate to mention is EC. It often shows up first with weakness in one of the hind legs. Has he had any other signs, like urinary problems or eye problems?

Finally, has he ever had tooth issues? It's possible that his molars are cutting into his tongue and that's what's making him not want to eat hay, and the leg thing is separate.

Yes, I told her to take him to the vet; I'm basically just wondering if you all had any ideas as to what it might be.
He hasn't had any urinary or eye problems that I've noticed. And also no tooth issues. He's never been quite as excited about food as Fiona (she'll dig at your hand to get you to pour out the pellets faster) but he's always finished what we give him by the end of the day.
It's been a bit of a rough summer for us with the animals. First Fiona had a mammary tumor removed, then we had to put our golden retriever to sleep and now this. It's especially hard when the timing makes it happen while I'm on the other side of the country.

Good news! She took him into the vet and saw Dr. Franco. After exams and x-rays, it's a sprained knee.
"Critical Care liquid hay via syringe, Ciscapride to get his tract going, and Metacam for pain. Hip and foot are okay, seems to be he twisted his knee. Juice in water to make him drink. 240 dollars!"

Yeah, x-rays can be expensive.
Forgot to mention he'll also be restricted to the top level of his cage so he can't do too much jumping.

Latest posts

Back