Timid Bunny Lost Her Family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glazcia

Reaction score
This is a very sad story. I need advise for my bunny who just lost her family.

2 weeks ago I had 4 rabbits, all spayed/neutered. Mithril, Mr Chip, Bunnadict, and Rabbitha. Very sadly and suddenly I've lost 3 bunnies one after another. I'm waiting for the results to know what exactly happened. I know Mithril had a digestive disease I was told was not contagious, she passed two weeks ago. Mr Chip and Bunnadict died this week on Tuesday and Wednesday. I returned home with their medicine when we found Bunnadict.. I should have results soon, they are guessing a respiratory issue for the two boys. They were all around 5 - 6.5 years old and have been together for the last 5 years. Making things even sadder.. Mithril and Mr Chip were Rabbitha's children.

Rabbitha is my last bunny left. I've taken her to the vet and she's on precautionary medication. She has stopped eating so I'm syringe feeding her every 4 hour per the vet's orders. I'm struggling to find the right thing to do for her. She was a meat rabbit rescue and has always been timid and afraid of people. She was very closely bonded to the other three. She's never really connected with humans before. She only liked the company of other rabbits, and now it's the first time she's been alone in 5 years.

With the prescribed medicine and forced feedings I feel like I'm basically torturing her every 4 hours to try to keep her alive. She doesn't trust me or anyone, she's scared, depressed, and alone.

I don't know what to do. The other three who passed suddenly were very social and bridged the gap for her. I was okay with Rabbitha not being friendly towards people because I knew she was happy with her family.

You certainly arent torturing her. I've had to syringe feed my bun and give him injectable fluids and I saved his life and he is still here two years later. That same bunny also used to have a bonded female and didnt seem to like people and spent all his time with his girlfriend. After he lost his girlfriend he adjusted and became more social we me and plays more now. Just be very patient with her but do what you have to for now to help get her through this first.

Good luck

You certainly arent torturing her. I've had to syringe feed my bun and give him injectable fluids and I saved his life and he is still here two years later. That same bunny also used to have a bonded female and didnt seem to like people and spent all his time with his girlfriend. After he lost his girlfriend he adjusted and became more social we me and plays more now. Just be very patient with her but do what you have to for now to help get her through this first.

Good luck

That means a lot. This has me feeling a little more hopeful. Thank you so much.

I’m so sorry for your loss.. give it time. Rabbits are social animals, she might take some time to grieve and understand the situation. Eventually she’ll understand and get better, and she might even get closer to you once she knows and understands that you are trying to help. Wishing you and her all the best <3

Latest posts

Back