Timid Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover650

Reaction score
Hello there! I own one bunny who I spend a lot of time with. He is very shy and lets me pet him only when he is eating. Based on the common bonding behaviors, I believe he is bonded with me, however.
I don't have an issue with him not being comfortable with me petting him but I was just wondering if this is something I could work with him on. He is also kept with another rabbit (both of them are neutered) but the other will sometimes chase him around their exercise pen (in an aggressive way) whenever there is food around (please note that they are siblings and have been together for about two years. The other bunny has never hurt my rabbit). I'm not sure if the other rabbit (my brother's) is what is causing my bunny to be timid or not. If this is the case, then I can definitely separate them.
All help is appreciated!

You've got a completly normal rabbit. Let me guess, the other rabbit is male too. Good thing is that aperantly they established a pecking order (good thing, if not things could get ugly fast) Them being siblings is irrelevant.

Some of my rabbits do not allow me to touch them ( they are not skittish or so), even after 5 years, others come around slowly. Rabbits normally are not cuddly pets.

It sounds like the other rabbit is the boss, so that's not unusual for there to be a little chasing, especially when it's time to be fed as he is boss and is basically saying 'I get first dibs at the food'. Plus rabbits tend to get a little excitable at feeding time.

For building a bond with your rabbit, if you can just sit in your rabbits pen(or small area like a bathroom) with them and spend time, that can help you form a stronger bond. You don't want to try and pet them(and do not try and pick up) or anything, just sit there on your phone/tablet doing your own thing and basically ignore them, in that you allow them to approach you on their terms not yours. They will get curious and approach you. Just let them check you out, eventually you can slowly reach out a hand and let them smell it. And in time they may even decide to flop down next to you or lay their heads down asking for head rubs. It's about giving them time to learn that they can trust you. And with some rabbits it can take a long time to build that relationship.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

You can build the bond with your rabbit and make him tolerate petting or come to like it.

But not all rabbit will like cuddle time, myself have only owned rabbits that love cuddles so I’m lucky on that area.

I have one skittish rabbit, in the beginning he always avoided my hand and refused getting pets.

I’m teaching him to put his head under my hand when he want to cuddle now, so I no longer have to guess when he want to cuddle. He’s still hesitating around humans but everyone can cuddle with him now :)

You can try to cuddle with your bunny when he wants to cuddle. For example when the rabbits are tired most of my rabbits will want to cuddle up and will often fall asleep after getting their cuddles ^-^

I would advise not to separate them if as I have heard the rabbits can forget each other in the matter of hours.Only do so if the fighting is extremely aggressive and not just chasing around or play fighting.I have 2 males(around 8 months old) which are brothers and occasionally the other might start chasing the other one around their cage and make sawdust fly everywhere.This only lasts around a minute and after that,they are completely fine and are acting like normal loving brothers again.

Rabbits are big on respect, especially the alpha or boss rabbit. If you ask him if it is ok to pet him, by placing your hand (slowly) at the side of his head, where he can see most easily (they have a hugh blind spot directly in front, due to placement of their eyes) and wait. If he puts his head down, ears flat, you are being given permission to pat him. If he doesn't or moves away, definately leave it and try again another day. When he realises you are paying him the courtesy of asking, lol, he may come to trust that he is in control of being touched, and allow petting, on his terms. It does take some time to establish this trust and understanding with some bunnies, some are not so rigid about the bunny respect rules and codes of conduct! All so different. Cheers.

Big Bunny gets so excited at pellet or veggie time that he sometimes chases Harley Quinn around the condo... Norman used to do that to Nala, too, but was more aggressive about it. With B-rabbit, I can just yell "Big Bunny, NO CHASING!" and he'll knock it off but with Norman I sometimes had to use a spray bottle of water. The more often you use some sort of diversionary tactic to stop the chasing as soon as it starts, the more they'll (hopefully) break the habit of excited chasing.

Latest posts

Back