Thymoma

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any successful experiences in having thymoma treated?

Misty has a large mass in her chest - thymoma is the educated guess from positioning, size and her behaviour (which hasn't really been affected by the mass).

Here, the vets don't have any treatment options as even the best rabbits vets here say the mortality rate of surgery is so high that it's almost not worth it, and all I can do is wait and provide palliative care.

It's hard for me to accept just because Misty is till active and lively and her old self (eating and pooping and playing fine) - but now I can see her breathing is shallower and her eyes have a slight bulge to them. So the hardest part for me is thinking of watching her slowly degenerate without being able to do anything although I know that's a very realistic scenario.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this and if anyone has ever had treatments be a success.

Thanks,
Nadia
 

Bassetluv

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
7
Location
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Oh Nadia, I'm so sorry to hear about Misty's diagnosis. I've not had any experience with this (actually hadn't even heard of it before), but I did a search and found a couple of articles. You might have already read these, but I'll post the links anyway, in case you hadn't and wanted to see them.

http://www.rabbit.org/health/thymoma.html

http://www.rabbit.org/health/thymomastory.html

Sending hugs and prayers Misty's (and your) way...

:pray: :pray:
 

HoneyPot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
2
Location
, ,
Thanks hun! Saw them and Misty and I have an appointment at the Cornell University Vet Hospital (where the doctor that wrote that article is one of the department heads) and where the bunny in the other story was treated.

Hopefully Misty will be able to hold out until then. Just the initial analysis is extremely risky because she'll have to have a CAT Scan.

I'm torn between allowing her the short time she has left here at home or trying these more risky things and getting her more time.

Ah bunnies. They just rip us to shreds don't they?
 

Latest posts

Top