Thumping over and over again....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]So I'm just sitting here and Solara and Silas keep thumping -___-;;; BACK AND FORTH!!!

Like Solara will thump and then Silas thumps... then silence. Then they all thump again. Oh my goodness. It's so annoying.

Whyyyyy are they doing this!??!?! Urgh!

We have 11 rabbits...5 in the livingroom and 6 in our bunnyplayroom at the back of the house...

The first time they did this I thought maybe it was mice in the attic, a noise outside, just plain old bunny paranoia...but they have kept doing it over the years...

At first I tried to ignore it...yeah right...:X

Then one day I got ticked I was tired and cranky so I charged out into the hallway and thumped too! OK well I really had a mini fit...arms flailing and thumping my feet...LOL:biggrin:
There was this stunned silence for about a minute and then I heard this one tiny "thump" from the backroom...and I guess they all thought I had lost my marbles cause they all gave up and went back to what they were doing! he he he And I got to go back to sleep!:biggrin:

[align=center]Lol! Thanks for telling that story Danielle, it made me smile =)

Yeah, they finally stopped. It was making me so mad! But I kind of just blocked out. I tried telling them to stop but they didn't listen so yeah. XD

I should have thumped back.. I mean my room is big, and I was almost on the complete other side of it when they were thumping, and my friend could HEAR them (we were talking on Skype). XD

Solara's thumps are as loud as a Flemish Giant's... lol!

Ggio thumped for two days straight when I got my cat. He was not happy.... Eventually I went in and thumped back at him for like 10 minutes. He would thump, I would stomp my feet, pause.... Thump, Stomp, pause.... It took a bit, but he got the point, and stopped thumping, lol. :biggrin2:

[align=center]Awww! XD Lol. I wonder why mine started thumping in the first place. I wonder if they heard something outside because the whole house was quiet and it was nighttime XD..

I should have thumped back.. XD Lol!

Sometimes I think they are playing a game. :p

My sister and I would knock on the walls when we were kids after mom put us to bed. We made up a whole code to tap out words. Perhaps the bunnies just decide to be naughty sometimes and "talk" to each other after lights out?

My rabbits don't thump unless we startle them (and they're not typically startled) and even then it's only one thump.

However, I had gerbils for many years, living in pairs, and when one started the other followed right along! They'd go on and on for 5 minutes thumping back and forth. Sometimes they just feed off of each others nervousness I think.

Oh...I almost forgot!:)
I am a wildlife rehabilitator...one day our lionhead girl Peppers started thumping and wouldn't stop...
It was driving me crazy.
Finally I went in the bunny playroom and took a really good look around...nothing.
So I was getting ready to leave the room and I happened to glance outside...
(her cage is up on a shelf so she can look out the window into the backyard)
in the backyard a cat had been trying to get a mourning dove and the poor thing had managed to work its way between the 2" chicken wire and had fallen in our pond!
It was the dead of winter and freezing cold...the poor thing was almost frozen to death!
I ran outside...he was so cold he just sat there...couldn't even attempt to fly...I picked him up and brought him into the garage to warm up and dry off...

We released him again two days later no worse for wear...missing a few feathers but otherwise healthy! If Peppy hadn't been a thumping MACHINE that day I may not have noticed in time!:biggrin:

Fraggles is a thumper. She does not have another bun to thump at so she thumps at me. All day long... She thumps before she jumps on the couch. She thumps before leaving her cage. She circles my ankles and thumps as she goes. A few days ago she was in the kitchen while I was cooking and I yelled at her to get out. She turned around and hopped out and as soon as she was on the carpet she thumped at me. I said "Fraggles don't you thump at me". She flattened her ears looked right at me and smacked her foot on the ground with a mighty THUMP. Lol I don't question the thumping anymore.

Great thumping stories... Yay, the mourning dove made it! :)

Katie... too funny... you have a very opinionated bun!

My BF made Hope mad one evening while she was out and about in the living room. He was trying to catch her to put her back and she wanted none of it. They went around and around the couch about 8 times and she'd get ahead of him, THUMP super loudly like rapid firing 3 or 4 times then take off again. I'd never seen a huge bun run so fast. She was tearing around, like squeeling her tires... at each end of the couch she'd stop and thump. I told him to give up and I'll get her. He sat down, she calmed down and I caught her no problems and put her away.

It was so funny. She's not done it again since and she's only thumped in her cage a couple of times and I have no clue why, but she startled me since I didn't exactly expect it.

She does things to irritate me everyday, but I love that about her personality. I started taking her toys away before bed or she'd make a ton of noise keeping me up. hehe

LOL These are great storries.

Last night I was sweeping up and cleaning litter boxes. Apparently the cleaning offended Cindi because she started tumping. Then I hear a tiny thump from across the room in answer. Becky has a hiding place that until last night I couldn't figure out where she was going. I was able to follow her thumping to the chair. Here she is hiding under the skirt of the chair in the back (the under side is blocked off). So the thumps came in handy. :)

[align=center]I am loving these thumping stories! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back