Thumping in the night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pinksalamander wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
I hadn't thought about radiators either- our cage is currently in front of a little radiator, and obviously we're not using it since it's summer now, but I hadn't thought about winter! In our old house, Barney and Snowy's cage was partly against a radiator, but they loved it- they would cuddle up underneath it, and if they were out of their cage, they went and cuddled up under the other one.. :dunno Thinking about it, Mouse and Chalk always slept at the end of their cage that was closest to the radiator too! Strange bunnies!
Hmm, the radiator would run all down the side of the pen, I would think on about setting 1 it would be OK? It automaticaly turns off at 1am until 7am, I don't think it would be too much of a problem?

I guess it would depend on how he was with the warmth, but a low setting doesn't sound like it would cause much of a problem, especially if it's only on during the day!:)
"I spoke to her again and she kinda made out I was 'pushing' the subject too much, I showed her this page which says it all really! "
Omg, I read that page, I've never heard of racoons pulling rabbits feet through hutches before? That's AWFUL! :shock::( I'm glad we don't get raccoons over here, although I'm sure foxes can be just as bad...

Also, I guess that Lottie must have *heard* you talking about bringing Archie inside, and cottoned on that if she thumps loudly, she might get to go in too LOL! Bunnies are too clever sometimes :)

ARCHIE IS COMING IN TONIGHT!

Its only as a sort of trial, and it depends on if I can get the rabbit run into the kitchen (which I realy really hope I can!) but its one foot in the door! I texted my Mum saying I was going out (I won't see her before I leave) and said 'What shall I do about the rabbit? Shall I bring him in in the run', she said 'i think you will have to'

If I put Lottie in the small hutch (which makes less noise) I'm hoping she won't thump, or it will be muffled a bit, so then she can see that having him indoors is better.

Also considered bringing a bunny in my room and blocking off the part they usualy have, but I don't think I could handle it! And I have carpet, and Lottie likes to pee on soft things :biggrin2:

I'm going to try and fit the run in now. Its going to be a mega pain so will probably have to leave it by the backdoor and put it back in when I go to bed, its like a 6ft x 3ft run, so its pretty big.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Yay! That's great that you're trying to keep him in the house! If he's in the house, will they allow you to later bring Lottie in, once they're bonded?

Archie is in, in his run. It really does take up the entire kitchen! Mother will not be happy when she gets home!

Lottie is in the little hutch with blankets down to muffle too much thumping.

I'm hoping if there are no thumping sessions tonight (at least not enough to wake me up) the point that rabbits + indoors = no thumping = no moody neighbours will drive the point home.

Here is his little home for the night! I'm hoping that he is super clean. I was told in the rescue he is super super clean but Lottie poos everywhere, and with swapping them over every other day I haven't managed to see if its really true. However, since I swept him out at about 2pm today and there is no stray poos anywhere.

archie003-1.jpg

Aww bless! I think he looks happier already! ;)

And woah, yes it is big! Lets hope you or your mum don't want a cup of tea or anything until he's up in the morning LOL! :p

Now, I guess we're switching to 'no-thumping vibes' for Archie, but still to 'thumping' vibes for Lottie?!

Hold off on the thumping related vibes everyone! Lottie doesn't thump alot anyway, but as soon as they are bonded she will be indoors too. So no vibes currently needed!

OK... news! My Mum made a compromise and ARCHIE IS COMING IN. Maybe not tonight (depends if we can get to B&Q or not today). I wanted him in the dining room, she said instead we can have him in the larder 'at night only' (which means he will go in his run during the day like normal, and when she goes to work she won't know he isn't in his hutch!) The larder is where we keep our pots and pans, on these big wide shelves. The last shelf has alot of room under it and we keep cleaning products etc under there. On the other side of the little room is the washing machine and tumble dryer, which the water for pumps out into the garden through a little window anyway, and they both only go on during the day.

One good thing is that the larder links to the kitchen, which is a place he can run about, but it has a solid door to shut him in at night. You can see the door to our larder in the pic above. It means that during the day when I'm pootling about the house he can have the run of the kitchen and the larder. The only thing we need to do is to clear out the junk under there and block off the edges of the washing machine with wire so he can't get down there.

I'm very excited, it definatley isn't glamorous, the space is probably equal to less than the big hutch but just for night the space is good. Its tiled too. It does get a litle cold in there but in a way that is good. William always went out in the run everyday through the winter, because he slept and lived outside he was absolutley fine in the run (infact he was happier on chilly days!). Because the larder gets cold (its the last room on the house, no radiator) it means going outside on chilly days shouldn't be too much of a shock to him.

I'll get some pics later. I'm going to try and find a makeshift way of blocking off the washing machine for tonight if we don't get manage to do it properly by tonight.

And of course when they are bonded (which i'm still taking slowly!) they will both be in there together, to keep eachother warm :biggrin2:

So glad Archie has finally convinced your mum that he should be inside. :p I think living in the larder will work fine since he will have a chance to run and play in the kitchen when he is awake. Congratulations on things working out for you. I'm anxious to see pics of your final set-up.

YAY:yahoo:!! i'm glad it's all (starting to)work(ing) out! now for Lottie :ponder::lookaround:nasty:.....who, me? plot? never!:whistling:wiggle

hehe, any way, congrats on getting Archie in!

I've cleared the room and mopped the floor. Its look so gross in there, I didn't realise how dirty it was but I haven't been able to clean it off much more. Its looks so gross! I will have to get pictures. My Mum is bringing some chicken wire home tonight to block off the edges of the washing machine. There are a few wires down there which I will turn off at night, its not the end of the world if he gets down there, just a little annoying!

Bought some vet bedding to put down in a box or something as I don't have a proper bed for him, he will have to make do with a cardboard box or something! Will get pictures soon.

Aww yay! So is he just going to sleep in there free-range sort of, without a cage? That's good! How did he do last night, did he thump at all?

I bet Archie is gonna love being an indoor bunny! :D

delusional wrote:
Haha - you should try sleeping in our bedroom. Four bunnies, three guinea pigs and three gerbils. :p
That's not a bedroom--that's a zoo with a bed in the middle of it. ;) Kudos to you for being able to sleep with all that nighttime activity going on around you. Personally, my allergies make it impossible to have a caged beastie in the bedroom. (It's bad enough that I haven't the heart to "evict" our cat from the bed at night.)

Jenk

He didn't thump at all last night, at least I didn't hear it! Lottie started digging at half past 7, but then its half past 7, not half past four! It wasn't enough to wake you up and my neighbours can't complain about being woken at half past 7 anyway.

He's going to be a sort of indoor/outdoor rabbit, at least while the weather is mild. He will still go out in the run during the day (I tend to do swapsies, depends on when I get home, but when I'm at school one rabbit will go in as soon as I'm home at about 2, and then another will go in around 5-8pm, then they will both come in my room during evening if I'm in, (seperated) or one in the kitchen or elsewhere, so its not really much different to what he is now. He can still go out in the hutch during the day if its nice weather and Lottie is in the run, or he can run around in the kitchen etc. I can open the door and set up wire across if the kitchen is busy, but so he isn't cooped up.

Just set up his room, its very bleak but its better than nothing!

Latest posts

Back