Thumping and a honking noise?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBuns

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My rabbit all of the sudden started thumping and making a weird noise with nose/mouth? It’s like she’s blowing air out her nose it’s a tiny lil honking/breathing noise? I know she thumps if there’s danger ( i don’t know what’s scaring her) but I’ve never heard her make that noise before.
It’s late too I’ve been staying up pretty late too keep an eye on her since she got spayed then pulled on the string of her incision /; can’t get her to the vet tell Tuesday. I was thinking maybe it hurts her too that’s why she’s doing that?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
My rabbit all of the sudden started thumping and making a weird noise with nose/mouth? It’s like she’s blowing air out her nose it’s a tiny lil honking/breathing noise? I know she thumps if there’s danger ( i don’t know what’s scaring her) but I’ve never heard her make that noise before.
It’s late too I’ve been staying up pretty late too keep an eye on her since she got spayed then pulled on the string of her incision /; can’t get her to the vet tell Tuesday. I was thinking maybe it hurts her too that’s why she’s doing that?
How old is she? And is she fixed. This is behavior I have seen when our male Holland lop was a "teenager". He would do that while circling my husband's feet. This is mating behavior. My husband was not flattered that the bunny was in love with him

My doe always do this towards me. I think the hormones after the spay are playing with your bunny :)

Hi everyone,

Rabbits do tend to thump when they're scared or feel threatened, but thet also thump when they're mad, annoyed, or want something. My rabbit, Athena, and her brother Stu, thump at about five-thirty every morning because they wan't pellets. They sometimes thump for no reason, it seems, so I would leave her alone if she's thumping for "no reason".
Rabbits also honk to show affection. Well, sometimes it's affection. If you're snuggling with her and she's honking somewhat quietly, she's trying to tell you she loves you! If she's honking loudly and digging at you or something else, that's a clear warning to get out of her space or else. Rabbits can also get more aggressive and experience personality changes when they get spayed. I hope this helps you!

How old is she? And is she fixed. This is behavior I have seen when our male Holland lop was a "teenager". He would do that while circling my husband's feet. This is mating behavior. My husband was not flattered that the bunny was in love with him

Shes 9 months and yes she is fixed:) how funny adorable [emoji38]

We had one we called our"Arizona Honker". She'd thump and growl when we opened her hutch and then come right over for head rubs. When I'd put her on the floor, she'd run around doing binkies and would honk profusely. She was an older bun and had also been spayed--not the first time I've heard of others bunnies doing this.

Latest posts

Back