Thumperellas I once was lost, but now I'm found diary

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Rabbit

Reaction score
So I figured I would finally stop posting on my first question I ever asked on the forums and have decided to make a diary/blog/adventure for Thumperella(Thumper and Cinderella mix as she is very sassy but also loving and needy)
I will be copying some of what I have over on my other post to save time, on events that have passed, but will be updating here regularly about how her rescue is doing and some minor updates on my other dogs and saltwater and freshwater aquarium(I have to many animals, I know) So this is how this adventure started:
"I once was lost, but now I'm found"
Hey everyone found this rabbit where I live roaming around my yard, zoomed in on it the first time i saw it since it didn't want to scare it. I live in coyote, hawk, snake, etc area, so I didn't want it to die. It would come up to me but wouldn't really let me pet it at first, but I could touch it with a few fingers before it moved a few inches away. Pretty large rabbit, black spot on it's eye. Im 100 percent this was a pet. He/she(think its a he since it doesn't have a fat chin/dewlap) did get attacked by something and has some damage( looks like a scratch) on his back, but no real issues from it, walking fine, eating, drinking, not touching it. Finally caught it and for the last week been trying to find its owner and no luck. Im starting to think someone dumped it as I live near mountains. So i bought a large hutch(waiting in the mail for it ill post a link below), I live in Southern CA and it doesn't get too cold, heat is more my issue, and am trying to learn to care for it. Right now the rabbit is inside in it's cage in an area the dogs can't get to it. I think it's a Rex rabbit, but im not sure, I hope someone here could tell me. I would appreciate the help on what type it is and any small tips beyond the basics. Little guy is gonna have to live in this cage sadly until I get the hutch on the November 3rd(2021) as I have 3 large dogs, Siberian husky, German Shepherd, and a Cane Corso x Rottweiler mix. I had a cat in the mix before, it would try to even feed off my Husky, so im sure i could get it to work out lol. I have a fenced area to let him out to roam so he can get some exercise a few hours a day without my dogs bugging him(even though it loves my dogs and tries running at them lol) before the hutch gets here, but i still feel bad, better then dying though.
This was the first day I saw it, it was jumping around in my Halloween decorations, eating grass. So then I bought pellets and it came right up next to me...

This was it coming up to me to eat from me:

This is the cage I caught her in and her favorite cage to this day, albeit a tad bit on the small side for her(yes later on we find out its a her) now. The huge scratch on her back did end up healing 100 percent with no damage to the coat on more importantly her frame or organs.
bunny.jpgbunny2.jpg
This is the hutch I got:
A1pQHpGl6EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Now after 6-7 months of owning her:

Ive built her an outdoor 10x10x4 playpen. She loves my dogs and at the time 2/3 of my dogs didn't mind her, it was just my German Shepherd. But Thumperella was not scared of dogs and must have been raised by them, as what does she do? She chases my GSD! Might add her hutch into this cage if I weather proof the wood as otherwise i use a normal covered cage(not pictured)
This was her first experience in the playpen before we added anything, just to let her check it out.

10 x 10 cage rabbit.jpg

Thumperella trying to play with my GSD, but my GSD doesn't think it's playing haha(still working on this) I have experience with this. I had a low content hybrid named Sky who sadly recently passed away, would let a stray cat we recused try to nurse off her. So im sure i can get this down eventually lol.

She loves to be pet and has some really nice blue eyes, the black spot makes that one side really pop too. She even has a spot like a dog, that if I pet, she will keep licking me.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-vwhjogRwf4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H07w5OVwZQ&ab_channel=ThatCarGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MoBe3Jp6c&ab_channel=ThatCarGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmRF9Zyi68&ab_channel=ThatCarGuy

Since it has been getting 90+ degrees inside of just bringing her in to her larger inside cage at night I have now built a C&C cage, 28 panels, 4 feet long, 3 feet wide and 30 inches tall, also using her original cage as a "safe room" for her, and just makes it a tad bigger. I will likely buy 28 more panels and built out and a second level, we will see though.
This was her first time using it with minimal in it, so she can check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZtUbPsDCs&ab_channel=ThatCarGuy

This is her now in the month of June 2022. Throwing her greens all over, using TWO litterboxes, she is spoiled lol(still working on the training but it's going okay). I will keep updating her diary/adventure as I get new things and learn more or just have funny pictures. She is as of right now in the 10-11 pound range and my vet thinks she is a New Zealand x Hotot mix.
bunny litterbox.jpg

Last edited:
Well not a big update, but I added a small hideaway/bed from another cage I had bought. Sorry for the TV in the background. This was her first time checking it out. It's small so im debating about removing it to give her more room to run around when stuck in her indoor pen, but she really seemed to like it, despite it being small. So ill give it a week and see how it goes. It cooled down enough today to let her outside in her 10x10 playpen, so she will be loving it as dusk comes around and she comes out of her hole.

And some headrubs and pets that put you almost to sleep.

The hidey hole is pretty small and may not be a practical size for her, but the little head binky at the end means she must at least approve of it for entertainment value. Cardboard boxes make good cheap hidey holes, and can give hours of entertainment shredding and rearanging it to a buns liking, if you just want a cheap hidey hole option.

She's certainly adapting well to being indoors. With how well she enjoys those head rubs, she'll never want to leave :p She seems like she's a happy little bun. She's lucky she ended up in your yard. She's found a great home with you 🥰

The hidey hole is pretty small and may not be a practical size for her, but the little head binky at the end means she must at least approve of it for entertainment value. Cardboard boxes make good cheap hidey holes, and can give hours of entertainment shredding and rearanging it to a buns liking, if you just want a cheap hidey hole option.

She's certainly adapting well to being indoors. With how well she enjoys those head rubs, she'll never want to leave :p She seems like she's a happy little bun. She's lucky she ended up in your yard. She's found a great home with you 🥰
Yeah I thought it was small to as stated above, but she seems to like it and if I see less and less use. ill just remove it. She loves cardboard and I already give her some, I might may a hideaway out of some, my room is just limited right now. They wont last long that is for sure, she loves to rip cardboard up.
Yeah head rubs are her favorite, even more so then her "spot" by her leg that makes her lick me when i pet it. Head rubs she could just fall asleep too. I hope she is happy and thank you for the kind words, i'm trying my best with my first bunny :)

Spent some time outside at night with thumperella she went all demon eyed on me haha. She missed her outdoor play pen. Only gonna get 2 days of it until the heat comes back in sadly, but gotta make do with what you can 😀

Updating the hidey hole and making it more like a bed/awning, still not done. I need to cut the wood blocks down, and make a pilot hole for the metal reinforcement to sit in so she can't move it. Added a micro fiber cloth to help add cushion, likely gonna add another and glue it so she cant rip it apart. 20220620_183751.jpg

Going to have at least a week straight of 90+ degrees. Thumperella is not going to be a happy girl indoors. But she will have to learn to live with it. On a good note I cut down the wooden block stand I made for the awning/bed. A lot more stable. May add another. Also added a towel to make it more comfy, so far she hasn't used the top part and only sniffed it. I also added old towel to make it shaded on the sides. She does floop under it though. So at least I know she enjoys the awning/shaded area. I added a small night light(her cage and shaded area block it incase she wants no light) to give a little light since her outdoor pen has a solar light on it as well as the backyard lights so I didn't want her to be in the complete dark in my living room, even though I know her eyes are built for it. So it goes on from 1am to 5am. So that's all I have for an update today 😀
20220621_160900.jpg

Seems the block support stand for the awning/bed works wonders. I caught her using it, she flopped on it with her back leg hanging off. It was so cute and made me happy to see her use it like I wanted her to. But as soon as I pull my phone out she goes to jump off lol. Progress is being made :) that's all that matters and my work is actually being used makes me feel good lol. This also let me know i dont need a second support as this held her fine. Next step is to build one or two wooden litter boxes or just get another plastic. She doesn't chew plastic which is good and easier to clean, but she only has been around it for a few days, so it's not a good sample size to go off of. Wood would need to be sealed so the pee doesn't ruin it, but would still only last about 3 years(guesstimating), but would be overall safer...(I work in the studios and can get free wood) so off to think of my options. Anyone reading this, hope you are having a great day. 😀
EDIT: And yes there is a top piece covering the loft bed so she cant jump out, the towels are covering it.
Screenshot_20220621-184200_Gallery.jpg

It's always nice when they appreciate your hard work. I built a wood doll bed for my buns(similar to the ikea doll bed), and they absolutely loved it. They were always piling on there to take naps, and one bun would squeeze underneath to nap... and dig... which I then had to dig proof the corner of the floor under there, from her persistent efforts.

It's always nice when they appreciate your hard work. I built a wood doll bed for my buns(similar to the ikea doll bed), and they absolutely loved it. They were always piling on there to take naps, and one bun would squeeze underneath to nap... and dig... which I then had to dig proof the corner of the floor under there, from her persistent efforts.
Yeah it feels good to know she enjoys it. A lot bigger this way then when it was a small hideaway that she could just fit in. I worried about digging since mine loves to dig outdoors in her play pen, so that's why i have the wood down over the carpet as well as a tarp incase she peed all over and tried to dig. Thankfully she took to potty training easy using the layered bedding/litter and hay mixture and when she digs she really can't get through the wood as it's plywood(she doesnt chew it), so it's still great for her claws. Thanks for the response.

Today I got bored and made a hideaway hole for Thumperella. Might add a piece to close the front off more. Had to make it tall enough so she couldn't use it as a step to escape. Maybe ill make a small "window" so I can see her and not panic if I dont haha. If she ends up liking it I'll make it make one out of wood next, as she is litter trained and only uses 1 box now :) so sucess for me :) this will be a third area to chill in. Could also use it as her dig box... She will have her connected cage, this box hideaway, and her awning bed. She is spoiled lol. 20220622_173224.jpg20220622_173416.jpg

Last edited:
Well I added a face to it to make it more hidden and she likes it. Looks like I'm going to have to make one out of wood soon if this keeps up haha. It's like 25 inches tall and 12 inches wide and like 15-18 inches deep. Next is to make a small window so I can see her lol
20220622_233438.jpg20220622_233604.jpg

Was in the ER yesterday. Ugh. Autoimmune issues suck. Trying to keep busy doing little things to keep my mind off feeling like crap. Removed Thumperellas carrier/vet cage and added her normal cage. It's round 2 feet wide by 4 feet long, making her total indoor playpen 5 feet wide by 4 feet long. Will be ordering another 28 panels soon(4'l x 3'w) to make it 9 feet long by 5 feet wide, not near the size of her 10x10 outdoor playpen, but it's getting there lol. Still need to make the cardboard box into wood so she has a hideaway/dig spot. But since im not feeling to well, we will see how that goes. I can wait for now.
20220626_135611.jpg20220626_135559.jpg

Well today is a big update. New cage is here. Added it. It was another 28 panels. It's largest dimensions are 6 feet wide x 10 feet long and 30 inches tall. Tried making it wider but no room, so i went length. It's average size is 4x10 not counting her cage I added giving it the extra two feet in width.
Still not feeling the best but I needed to be done. Used a nicer wood panel with a burn in finish of birds, deer, grass, etc. Its not ink. So rabbit safe. It was 4x8 feet piece so I had to add two more feet from the old set up to the length. Lotta room now. Looks almost empty haha. She should be happy now with the extra room. Still need to turn the cardboard dig box into a real wood dig box lol but that will be awhile with all the medical issues i have going on. 20220627_162737.jpg20220627_162756.jpg

That's tons of space! Looks really nice!

Does she do ok walking on the wood? I've had a few rabbits that never managed to feel comfortable hopping on smooth flooring, others that took to it immediately with no problems.

That's tons of space! Looks really nice!

Does she do ok walking on the wood? I've had a few rabbits that never managed to feel comfortable hopping on smooth flooring, others that took to it immediately with no problems.
Thanks, she does well. It's a little smoother then before, the other wood was more textured, but this is nothing like a slip and slide. I may scuff it up with a really light grit sandpaper and see if it helps some, but she really isn't too bothered by it. :) She just doesn't know what to do with so much room

Tell her she needs to zoom and binky :p
She did more then that she started to groom me. I wasn't feeling to good(I have an auto immune issue similar to crohns/lupus, but my doctors have spent years testing different things to no avail) so I went out at night and gave Thumperella some attention, she loved it. She started to grind her teeth here and there when i was petting her, she would lick and groom me as i pet her or when i stopped lick me like crazy so i start again. And it's not just when i pet her "spot" anymore, it's all night lol. She was also making this weird low squeaking sound here and there when being pet which ive never heard before(you can hear it at about 3 seconds into the video and onward, it's not a persistent thing, no wet noise, pooping fine, peeing fine, eating fine, etc she is just really happy and ive personally never heard it, might be normal to you guy/gals. She is in a really good mood tonight. Binkying all over, running all over, giving me a bath of licks. Must be the extra room lol.
And yes her indoor cage is big enough for me to sit in, granted im not a tall guy at 5'9-5'10 but im not short either. I am skinny though, so that helps getting in her cage haha.
EDIT: Sorry for vertical video, I just wanted to get this any way i could since i thought it was going to end as soon as i reached for my camera lol

Well Thumperella was being a little weird-o and I called her out on it, and she did not like it haha

And then when prey becomes predator, she surrounds me like a shark haha

Latest posts

Back