Thumper is weak and has mushy poo with mucus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I went to clean Thumper's cage tonight and he was acting more... calm than usual. Almost lethargic like. He also had,again, the most God awful smelling poop I've ever smelled. I can't even describe it. I don't want to. His poo was almost mushy, and had some sort of ... white over it, I'm assuming a thin layer of mucus.

What do I need to be worried about here, Coccidia? I'm bringing a fecal into the vet's in the morning. My concern is, he's housed right next to Chance, hopefully if that's what it is, it didn't spread.

It could be coccidia, but it also could be any other type of intestinal upset- mucous is a common side affect of irritated intestines. Have you changed his diet at all? New veggies? More pellets than normal?

Sounds like vet time for this boy too.

BTW, coccidia will only spread via the feces, just like other intestinal parasites. You can use a mild bleach solution to disinfect the cages just in case.

Pipp's output from her Cecal Dysbiosis was so smelly it woke me up from a dead sleep, and she was across theroom. :( Pretty sure her's was an imbalance caused by diet.

The mucus is a sign of intestinal distress, but it's usually clear and not white.Could it have had pee on it?

Any diet changes? Treats? Are you sure the pellets and hay are fresh?

The fecal float will give you a better idea. Meanwhile fluids and just hay isa good idea.

sas

Yeah, I love it how when one is feeling better, the other makes sure they get sick! I'd like for once to have all 3 healthy!

You know what, I did change his diet. Well, not really change it, but I questioned myself on this last night. I've been giving him clovers from out in the yard (and I gave him some pansies last night, but I have been noticing this smell for the last few days). I also noticed it awhile back, but he didn't have the mucus at the time and it was around the time that I had changed his pellets a couple months back.

In the last week, however, the only change has been I gave him some clovers twice, and pansies once. He's 4 years old (a rescue, as you know. I've only had him a few months) and his previous owner never introduced him to vegetables. I forgot all about the clovers when I posted. Could that be the problem and it could've possibly upsetted his stomach?

I'm gladyou mentioned the diet change,because it totally slipped my mind. I'm going to bring the fecal in,along with Chance of course, in the morning.

Should I bring Thumper too, or wait and see what the fecal says? Being completely blind and partially deaf, I don't like making him travel unless absolutely necessary. It's a 2 hour round trip to the vet too. :?

EDIT: For spelling errors.

I don't give them much clovers either, maybe 1/8 of a cup twice a week or so.

Angela, should I take Thumper to the vet in the morning, or just let them do the fecal first? I don't like making him travel unless absolutely necessarysince he's completely blind and partially deaf. He stresses way too easily.

Actually red clover is not good anytime,but white clover is ok fresh. But no kind of clover hay is safe because it moulds extrememly easy and you can't tell because it moulds on the inside and doesn't give off an odor at first. It's really hard to get clover hay that isn't moudly.

Actually, since it might be dietary I'd push the hay and water, reduce pellets and veggies for now. If he gets veggies, only give him ones that he's really used to. See if his poop improves. If not, do a fecal test.

Like Pipp said, is it possible that the white is from pee?It's not unusual for urine to look whitish when they're excreting calcium (which is normal, better out than in).

Hmmm, I'm not sure it was pee Angela. Could've been, but doesn't pee look dry and crusty looking? This looked, pardon the nasty visual, but slimy like snot. (Sorry, didn't mean to be icky!)

He's not on veggies, I never tried him on any because I was always scared to, LOL. You know, with him being older and never having any before.

As all my boys do, he gets 24/7 unlimited timothy hay, but he's not abig hay eater. I do have some brome and orchard grass, I'll try that and see if he prefers it better. I'll also limit the pellets as well.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! I was so worried about coccidia, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. :craziness

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure it was pee Angela. Could've been, but doesn't pee look dry and crusty looking? This looked, pardon the nasty visual, but slimy like snot. (Sorry, didn't mean to be icky!)

I've seen the mucous in various colors including a foamy white mousse (sounds better than snot LOL)

Pam

Poor boys!! I would keep an eye on Thumper overnight, and see how he is in the morning. If he's still lethargic,and his poos are funny I'd consider taking him to the vet...but maybe make a phone call first to get the vet's opinion??? Definitely take apoo sample in when you take Chance...

My prayers are with your little guys :)

:magicwand:

How are your Babies today MBH?

I really hope they are feeling better, with all the love and caring you do for them Ipray they will be running around real soon.

Susan:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back