Three week old bunny grinding teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Well, my little foster is not doing so well.

I've got a new set. A mom and two babies. One babyis really big and fat, and the other is really small. Therewas a peanut, but he died around 10 days.

All the fosters went in for a vet check yesterday because I've beenworried about little one's eyes and his mom's eyes. So I'vegot a bit of cream to put on the eyes twice a day.

But, I wasn't the one who took them to the vets, one of the rescueco'ordinators did. And ever since coming back, the little onehas been grinding his teeth. I've never seen a baby grind histeeth like that. He's also not showing interest in nursingany more.

So I'm wondering if he's gone into stasis at three weeks ofage. I started syringing him some KMR last night and thismorning to keep him hydrated, but I don't know if I can give himanything for pain.

I hate to see the little guy like this, but I don't know what to do for him.

--Dawn

Ugh, I'd get on the phone to the vet asap.

How are the baby's poops? And is the eye just weepy orinflamed? It's weird that he's been in pain since coming backfrom the vet visit.Ifhisappetite hasdropped off,could be a symptom of thepain, it really should be deal with, but I'm not sure of the age youcan give them pain killers.

Letus know how it goes. (If you need me for anything,give me a call).

sas

Well, I've got cream for the eye.

He went to doctor Upjong in Coquitlam, so he went to a really goodvet. Dr said he was worried about upper respitory because ofthe crusty eyes, but there's no other signs.

I think I'll call the vets on my lunch break and see what they say about pain meds.

I really think he doesn't want to eat because he's in pain as well. It breaks my heart every time he does it.

I've got a little bit of Medicam left from when Wildfire had her spay,so hopefully the vet will give me a dose that will be safe for thelittle guy.

I'm very worried, I don't want to see this one die.

--Dawn

I don't have any advice for you but I hopeeverything goes ok. Our wee ones are 3 weeks old as well and we haveone with an ulcer on its eye. I hate to think of anythinghappening to her so I know how you feel.

Sending good wishes your way.

Isobel

Let us know what the vet says. :(

Babies at that age are so fragile. :nerves1

sas :pray:

EDIT: I'm going to move this to the Infirmary.

Last edited on Thu Sep 21st, 2006 01:58 pm by Pipp

I was going to suggest gas medicine because this sounds to me like it has something to do with the stomach/intestines...

Is the little one pooping? Peeing?

Will it take hay or oats?

I would also use unflavored pedialyte to get some electrolytes in it.

Peg

Good idea, I'll pick up some pedialyte while I'm in the drug store.

It's hard to tell if the little on is going to the bathroom or not, Imay sit with him for a while on my lap tonight, to see if he goes atall.

The poor little guy just looks so miserable, and I just want to pick him up and comfort him till he feels better.

Now, any idea how much gas meds to give the little one? Iknow it's 2-3 droppers full for a grown up, so maybe just half adropper?

--Dawn

The dosage is 100mg per kilogram, so if you havean idea of what he weighs you can calculate it out with that.The bottle should say how much mg per mL.

:pray:

Well, I don't know how much he weighs, so I just gave him about half a dropper.

He's no longer grinding his teeth, and there where poops stuck in his fur when I got home after work.

So he's still up in the air. I haven't seen him nursing yet, so I'll have to see how full his tummy is in the morning.

I hope is interest in nursing comes back, I won't be so worried if that happens.

I also gave him some pedialyte, so he should be nice and hydrated too.

Mom also got some pedialyte (it's fruit flavoured so she really likeit), just to make sure she's hydrated and producing lots of milk.

Well, send lots of good thoughts his way tonight, and hopefully I'll wake up to a full tummy.

--Dawn

I'm sorry to say that the little guy didn't make it.

He died in my hands this morning.

I woke up early to try to get some more fluids in him, but he wouldn'tswallow and just let everything dribble out of his mouth.Then he slowly began to shut down. I just don't think he wasstrong enough to make it, perhaps a peanut that had lived for quiteawhile.

I'm very sad because he had lots of pep and was superfriendly. I'll miss the little guy, and I'm sure his"brother" and mom will too.

--Dawn

Binkie free, little one :rainbow:

:tears2:

*sigh* I guess that's the price I pay for volunteering to foster babies.

I've had three babies die on me in 4 months. It's a littledepressing, and makes you feel like you're not doing a very good job asa foster mom.

There's still the big fat baby, so I'll just have to give him extra love and make sure he grows up nice and healthy.

(I'll post pictures as soon as I find my camera, I promise)

--Dawn

I can understand how you would feel depressedbut I've seen first hand what a great bunny mom you are. Sometimesnature has it's way which is still not very comforting but you reallydid everything you could.

And I have the cutest pics of the babies, so I must send you them!

Latest posts

Back