Three issues with Adult male bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undecided

Reaction score
1. He had 3 smallish abscesses around his dewlap area. Vet cleaned out the larger one, the others were very small so he did not do anything with them. The vet tested the abscesses for cancer and they came back negative.
Bunny had a course of subq penicillin every other day for 1 month.
All the abscesses seem to have disappeared.
Bunny also had what looked like an elongated lesion below his mouth, the shape and size looked like a 2nd set of lips. The fur was gone and the skin was initially pink but it turned magenta and it has some scab/crust around the edges. I've seen the bunny scratch that area with his giant rear paws. Vet gave us some cream to put on it but it's near impossible as it is right below his mouth and he is not amicable to it.
The penicillin did not help with this lesion.

2. Since the penicillin, the bunny has seemed way better than before the penicillin, way more active and he produced a lot more poop than before. But, after the penicillin course ended he seems to be leaving gigantic diarrhea stains all over the place although his regular poop in his pan looks normal in size and quantity. His stomach is gurgling a lot louder than usual. He has not lost appetite for food or water.

He’s Probably not feeling well because of the large lesion under his chin. Since the cream is not working you should take him back to the vet and see what other ointments they may recommend. Also the vet should find out what is causing the lesion under his chin. If all else fails with creams you can use colloidal silver on his chin to help the Legion heal. Also tell the vet about the loose poop your bunny is experiencing. Keep an eye on the gas and look out for bloat. Try giving your bunny baby gas drops to help with the gas and discomfort 3 times a day until the gas goes away. Continue to encourage your bunny to eat and drink. Make sure they have plenty of Timothy hay and pallets that are plain. Maybe cut out treats until they feel better. I hope your bunny recovers best wishes!

He’s Probably not feeling well because of the large lesion under his chin. Since the cream is not working you should take him back to the vet and see what other ointments they may recommend. Also the vet should find out what is causing the lesion under his chin. If all else fails with creams you can use colloidal silver on his chin to help the Legion heal. Also tell the vet about the loose poop your bunny is experiencing. Keep an eye on the gas and look out for bloat. Try giving your bunny baby gas drops to help with the gas and discomfort 3 times a day until the gas goes away. Continue to encourage your bunny to eat and drink. Make sure they have plenty of Timothy hay and pallets that are plain. Maybe cut out treats until they feel better. I hope your bunny recovers best wishes!
I think the cream has silver in it. It's just he is very rebellious he won't let us go near his chin :)

I think the cream has silver in it. It's just he is very rebellious he won't let us go near his chin :)
Then it should be helpful. Maybe try getting your bunny into a “bunny burrito” with a towel , that way they will be safely restrained and it should be easier to apply the cream :D

ok, so he won't let us wrap him in a burrito and the infection is getting worse.
We went from 4 weeks of subq penicillin to about a week or oral baytril, he has another week of baytril left.
His whole chin is now raw and he keeps scratching it.
Not sure what to do. He is otherwise totally healthy.

ok, so he won't let us wrap him in a burrito and the infection is getting worse.
We went from 4 weeks of subq penicillin to about a week or oral baytril, he has another week of baytril left.
His whole chin is now raw and he keeps scratching it.
Not sure what to do. He is otherwise totally healthy.
So sorry the bunny burrito is not working out :(. I would say to purchase colloidal sliver in liquid form and try to spray it under their chin daily until the infection clears up.

Have you been to the vet to see what alternate treatments are avaliable?

Could you possibly take your bun to another vet for a visit to see what they think?
If a med is not working at all for a whole month then it's probably not the right cure for the issue.

By the way, did you try collodial silver as suggested above? Did it help?

He has been to the vet every 2 weeks. That's who told us to keep him on baytril
I see you are in CT. So am I. We use Dr. Siksay at Stone Veterinary in Watertown. She specializes in exotics in case you want to get a new opinion. That lesion sounds awful

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191117-093112_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-093112_Chrome.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20191117-093030_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191117-093030_Chrome.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5
Antibiotics wont necessarily help a wound heal faster they are for infection.
What are you doing to make sure he cannot rub or scratch the area? Have you tried using the cone of shame?
The bunny burrito is perfect for fractious or rebelious rabbits. But you have to know how to do it properly and fast. Keep trying that and it will work.

E9484940-9AED-4962-B896-B5E146F27270.jpeg This Exotic Vet is closer to Stamford if you think a second opinion would be good. I use them and they are good. Just take route 22 up LongRidge Rd. About 35min ride. They have good prices and just ask them about their stamp program to get a discount after a few visits. If you’re thinking about trying the colloidal sliver spray, the brand I order is by Holistic Petcare. They offer a 16oz bottle size with a spray head on it for easy application. I’ve found it helpful for my rabbits. I hope your bunny will be better soon.

Latest posts

Back