Thoughts on getting a second bunny in a small nyc apartment?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokkibada

Reaction score
Hi guys! I currently have a 4 month old holland lop (his name is cal) who's reaching his teen years. I'm going to get him fixed at the vet in a few months and in the meantime I thought about possibly getting him a friend thats around the same size as him (2-3lbs).

Although one issue I have is my apartment in nyc is not that big and I can't figure out how to fit another rabbit in unless if I rearrange all my furniture.. I just feel bad for my poor bunny whenever I'm in school/working on hw and I can't play with him.

He's been getting more destructive recently too, scratching his playpen wall whenever I'm not around or digging up his whole liter box. I've given him lots of toys and he's not too interested in them as well. I'm planning on making him a dig box soon and if that doesn't work then I'm kinda at a loss haha.

I think if you are eventually planning on having them free roam, you won’t notice 2 taking up more space than 1, as once they are bonded they will share most of the space consuming things. It’s just the process in the meantime where they may take over your apartment a bit.

When you are in the process of bonding them, they would need to be separated, so that could take up a lot of room, but you could see if there is a shelter who could bond them for you?

If they are not free roam, then the area where they exercise might need to be expanded to accommodate an extra bun.

Hopefully Cal will become less destructive once he is fixed 😊

I think if you are eventually planning on having them free roam, you won’t notice 2 taking up more space than 1, as once they are bonded they will share most of the space consuming things. It’s just the process in the meantime where they may take over your apartment a bit.

When you are in the process of bonding them, they would need to be separated, so that could take up a lot of room, but you could see if there is a shelter who could bond them for you?

If they are not free roam, then the area where they exercise might need to be expanded to accommodate an extra bun.

Hopefully Cal will become less destructive once he is fixed 😊

I do want to get him to free roam my bedroom at the very least, right now he's been misbehaving so I have part of my room fenced off during his free roam time. Space is a little tight in the apartment due to my boyfriend looking after 3 guinea pigs 😅 but just praying Cal getting fixed will mellow him out.

Fixing will definitely help with the destructive behavior.
I'd wait till after here's fixed to bring in a new bun.
I'd also say to have them as free run as possible. They live happier healthier lives that way.

Getting him fixed should certainly help, but I'd definitely suggest waiting before getting a 2nd bun. Rabbit bonding can be a tricky thing. You'll want to wait until 2 months after his neuter surgery before thinking of bringing home another bunny. It can take that long for those pesky hormones to fully dissipate.

When that time comes, he can be introduced to other fixed rabbits (of his size if that is what you prefer but size doesn't matter when it comes to bonding). By having him meet other fixed rabbits, it allows you to pre-screen for potential compatibility. This can be done through a rabbit rescue.

For more info on bonding, check here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Latest posts

Back