thought it was PETA Hype...perhaps not...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Reaction score
you know how you hear about folks buying three week old bunnies?
I've heard those stories, gone to the websites only to see what looks like 5-7 week old kits hopping around.

So it makes a gal wonder about the PETA hype.

Anyways, had someone call me up tonight wanting to buy three week old bunnies.

I was like huh? what for A snake? (I've had a rash of those lately... and I don't have an issue with snakes needing food...but that's what older culls are for NOT babies, and never alive).

Oh no no no... for a pet.

I was stunned.

Told him I was did not know of ANY breeder who would sell a three week old kit as a pet. Not a one. (I do know of some four week old sellers but not three week old and I wasn't about to refer him to those).

Anyways,... We talked for a while and the caller was adamant about wanting three week old kits and I said SORRY...the very youngest a kit can be sold is five weeks old (and that is VERY dependent upon the kit in question) and then referred him to my website for more information.

But I was just stunned. It was like what's with the three week old insistence? that just seems way too unreasonable and unlikely. Just odd....and very very sad.

wow, you'd think they'd care more about having a very healthy kit than a super young one that's probably going to die on them. three weeks is absurdly young. PETA's full of sh*t in my opinion, but that doesn't mean there's not stupid/crazy people out there who have no idea what's best for the pet they have/want.

It seems that people who want really young rabbits (and other animals), just want a cute little pet that will fit in their hand. They are not thinking long term and that the rabbit will grow up pretty quickly. These people really don't know what is best for the rabbit or even how to care for one properly. They probably want the rabbit as a pet for a young child and expect that child to take care of the rabbit. It is really a bad situation all around.
Sadly there are people who do sell very young rabbits because they are cute and small. These babies generally die young and seem to end up with people who have more money than brains.
It seems that people do little to no research before getting a pet and then get an under age animal and buy products that are really not suitable. Some of these people do want to learn, but have been given bad information while others just don't care.

It is good that you said no and didn't give in to this person. Hopefully they don't find someone else to give them a 3 week old rabbit.
I can kind of see people who might think that a 3 week old rabbit is ready to be sold as it looks like a mini adult and is eating some solid foods. Since people generally don't see the doe nursing, they might think that she isn't. These people don't realize that the babies need to stay with the doe for a few more weeks. These are the people who have no clue when it comes to breeding and don't really care what happens to the babies.

Babies being sold that are not ready are a big problem in the Fashion district where I live. They are sold by street vendors (so young that they always almost nearly die). It's a really big problem here. Mischa was one of the babies I rescued.

These people were selling them at 2 weeks old.

Last edited:
Yeah in the Fashion district, they have them in all wire cages in the baking sun with some lettuce and carrots in the cage for them to eat.
They also sell illegal turtles and exotics like that.
Its really terrible and more often than not they die because people get a really precious 3 week old baby who already has GI issues and they don't know what they're doing to help it. I think the only way the bunnies survive that is if they are purchased by a person who really REALLY knows what they're doing.

I'm really glad you didn't sell a 3 week old kit. Thats pretty strange and terrible for someone to ask about that. Bunnies are just as cute at 8 weeks when they're weaned as they are at 3 weeks or 3 years or 13 years. A bunny is one of those animals, that stays cute and small for its whole life; always.

Rabbit's do always stay cute, but they don't always stay small. Off topic a little, but I just had to share this. Now that is one BIG bunny!

148945_10152393910735066_1833238282_n.jpg

Do continental rabbits even really count though? That's a dog with rabbit ears and digestive track. He probably weighs 40 lbs! His feet are as big as mine!

There was an article about this, and how the photographer purposely uses angles and different lenses to make the animal look bigger than it actually is. While that's a big rabbit, it's not quite as massive as the picture would lead you to believe. It was a neat article...showed a great dane sitting on a couch looking 3 times its normal size and a few other animals. And this picture of the man with his rabbit was in there, too.

Latest posts

Back