this sounds silly but I still dont know if i have a male or female rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasmiles

Reaction score
how many nipples do female rabbits get and atwhat age do they start to appear I think I have a female she was bornin what they told me in feb march and I think i feel her getting anipple can you help me determine if its a female her head is narrow notfat it's a rex she is soooooooooooooo sweet I love this little rabbit

please give any advice if ya can thanks

Michelle

Hi,

Boys have nipples too. :pIt's quite obvious on the large breeds--I've found them on my big boy.

He has...er....other parts too, which appeared when he hit pubertyaround 3 mo. If yours is a male, you should see testicles near histail--but if it is a boy he may not have hit puberty yet, so give him amonth or two. Some males begin to exhibit mounting/spraying behavioraround this time as well.

Females, around puberty are very different. Where males will often bemore gregarious (and disgusting and obnoxious), females often turnterritorial and show some "Jekyll/Hyde" moments. Huffing, grunting,striking with front feet and/or biting are common signs of the hormonal"teens".

This is just my very unscientific observation, but my theory is thatmales often have broader rounder heads, where females are narrower. Butthat is just what mine showed, so a breeder's opinionwould bemore accurate.:D

Good luck--I have both boys and girls, and love them both. You win either way. :)

Rose

thank you so much for the help I still don'tknow if I take it to the vet will it be able to tell anyway yourpicture look like my bunny is that a girl?????

pasmiles wrote:
thank you so much for the help I still don't know if I takeit to the vet will it be able to tell anyway your picture look like mybunny is that a girl?????
A good vet should be able to tell--or try a good breeder, they areoften better. :DIf your vet hasn't seen many rabbits, Iwouldn't be too confident about accuracy there.

My picture is of my young Bub at about 8 wks. He is very much a boy.Here are some adult pics (this is what he looks like now). Bub is aPalomino.

c8fb7084.jpg

d3584a51.jpg

Rose

ohhhhhhh my he is soo cute .Mine is a rex thats what the pet store told me does a paloino and rexlook alike I think i may take it to a vet i tried looking you knowwhere a swore it was a boy and then i thought i saw a slit but now itlooks like a boy but im not sure so i call my bunny baby itwas gonna be bugsy for a boy or helga for a girl it's frustrating notknowing lol

Michelle

Palominos are a rare large breed that are knownfor their shiny, thick, bright orange fur and creamy underside. Theirbodies are quite firm and stocky, and the heads are large and broadwith upright heavily-furred ears.

Rexes are unique in that their fur, unlike Palominos, doesn't have anyof the stiffer and coarser "guard hairs" that normal rabbits do. Mostrabbits have a shiny outer coat that lays fairly flat on their bodies,and a softer downy layer underneath. In contrast, Rex rabbits are oftencalled "velveteen rabbits" because their fur sticks straight up in avery soft "crew cut". They do not have the distinct outer layer offur--it is more like a piece of velvet, with each hair the same andstanding upright. I don't think anything on earth is quite as soft as aRex.

If your rabbit is a Rex or a mini-Rex, it will feel totally differentfrom any other rabbit you have touched. Rex rabbitsare large,while mini-Rex are quite small. My mini-Rexwas quite large at6 lbs. I believe the standard for mini-Rex is between 3 and 4 lbs.

If you brush your hand over your rabbit's fur, does it have a "nap"like velvet, where it changes color as it is brushed a differentdirection? Or is it sleek and flies back into place when brushedbackwards?

Rose

From the picture, the fur doesn't look rex, butif it is like velvet, then that's rex fur -- really short, soft anddense, otherwise he does look rex. I have 3 full Mini Rex anda Mini Rex/Himalayan mix. Even my mix has really short, densefur, but it's not as soft.

Sexing bunnies can be tough, but a rabbit-savvy vet shouldn't have aproblem. I manage a pet store and have 9 bunnies and I stillhave trouble sometimes. LOL

Rose: You have made me fall in love with Palominos. I'mactually in contact with a breeder right now. We were goingto get another Flemish to bond with Sampson, but at the moment, a Palmay win out. (I want to try to bond Elvis, my Californiantoo, but everything has to wait until Sampson can be neutered in Julyor August.)

Jen

thank you thank your the one who resized myphoto for me :cool:I was set it was a girl now I thought itmight be a boy my bunny is very gentle and loving although it likes toget away from me and I would like to get it rained for potty my bunnyis peeeing on the floor in my house:shock:but I love thislittle bunny and want to get to know exacly what it needs I am going tohave it nutered it is only 4 months old so I figure in a couple of moremonths i will have that done and I guess for sure I will know the sexlol in any case I just call her baby I feel in my gut she is a girl andmaybe want it to be a girl but like my kids I got all boys and they aregreat.. although I bought this bunny for them it's mine it loves memost anything I should watch out for

thanks for everything

Michelle

My vet physically showed me the differencebetween my two buns. She first held them on their backs like babies(one at a time of course :p) and then gently pushed on the front oftheir vent area. With freddy, what kinda looked like a cherio popped up(sorry for the wierd description). with vicky, it seemed like only onepart stuck up, and the vet pointed out that there was a distinct redvein/artery (i forgot which she said) on each side. so maybe you can dothe same and try to find out.

hehe and on freddys belly, i guess where his nipples would be hehas2 parallel rowsof black spots! i think it looksfunny

I was told by someone that when you pop them..that the girls have slits and it is shaped like a teardrop and it alsodoesnt extend out as much but the boys are very round and extendfurther than the males.. I'm not sure if this is a correct way ofsexing but both places my bunnies came from did this :)

This sounds a it rude but you could take pictures of it then put themon here we could tell you or just go on google type how to sex a rabbithope i have helped georgie cant wait to see pictutres :D

:apollo:

pasmiles wrote:
gonna try to get a pic in here my bunny is sooooooooo softfur is like velvet

This boy/girl has the look of a baby Palomino, not aRex.:DNotice the light "racing stripe" over thehindquarters?

Not sure about the body type being accurate, as I don't know theweight. My Pals were quite large by 3 mo. I'm guessing it's probablysome kind of mix, but very cute. The color is exactly Palomino.

Jen: YOU CAUGHT PAL FEVER!!!!!! YAY! YAY! :D:D:D:D

Rose

Hi Rose,

Just found out I am the proud owner of a bunny GIRL mixed rex the petstore owner told me it was a mini REX but he said today she hassomekind of mix in her but she appears to have the full dense fur I amHappy ;)she is a girl I have all boys meaning my childrenhahahaha and I know I don't have to worry about her spraying but I mayget her fixed anyway when she is old enough. Also today I bought browns18% fiber from a feed place is that a pretty good feed for my babyIhope so. I was soooo tempted to get another rabbit today in fact I wasgoing to buy a lop bunny but when I picked him up he was sheddingreally bad and the the man told me I got spolied having a rex becausethey don't shed that much in any case any suggestions you may have forme I would love to hear. I am really loving being a proud mommy of mybaby girl bunny she is so sweet and has such a good temprament she onlynibble at me once and I told her no and put her back in her cage andshe has not done that again and hopefully will stay this was. I askedif maybe she was mixed with palamino and he aid if definatly waspossible :p

Michelle

Congrats on the "she".:pRexes doindeed shed like other rabbits, although some breeders have luck withminimizing the semi-annual molt. My full-blooded mini-Rex looked likesomeone had been after him with a lawnmower in molting season. ;)

This is molting season, by the way, although each rabbit goesthrough it at a slightly different time. Your little pet store lop mayhave been older and/or in the middle of his cycle, while your new rexmix may either have not started yet or is too young to molt. Next yearif your rabbit is outdoors you may see fur fly! :D

Nipping peaks around this age, but should only last a couple of weeks.Some youngsters go crazy pulling, chewing, and nipping, and othersdon't. It seems to start and end quite suddenly. It's more of a"testing the limits" and curiosity thing. Don't worry if she does startnipping, it's usually not permanent.

best luck!

Rose

Latest posts

Back