This has become a NIGHTMARE!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolfec

Reaction score
This is a bit of a rant, but I have to get it all out!

I am, quite frankly, terrified.

I am moving in 18 days from Guam to Georgia, and I have to ship my rabbits cargo. I have had the biggest nightmare of a time attempting to get the rabbits reservations organized, finding out where to drop them off, etc. etc. I have been put on hold for 2 hours at a time, told one thing one day and then the complete opposite the next, had my reservations cancelled, booked an "invalid" reservation, and basically been given the run around. To be honest, I don't even know if my rabbits will end up in Georgia. I am SO upset.

At first, I was told the rabbits would fly straight to Georgia, through Japan. So I booked their tickets, and then booked my own so I could get on the same flight. Worked out great.

I call back a week or so later to check on the reservations for the rabbits, and the kind woman I talk to says rabbits cannot fly through Japan. She informs me that the person who made my reservation had to put an Override on my account to book the tickets, but apparently it's illegal to ship rabbits through Japan. So my "reservation" was invalid. Basically, if I had shown up for my flight after dropping off the rabbits, they would have been left in Guam while I boarded and and flew home without them. UNKNOWINGLY!

So, while I am attempting to get all that mess sorted and route them the correct way, they inform me that rabbits HAVE to have a layover in Hawaii to be kenneled. Now the bunnies' trip goes from 20 hours to 40 hours. I had to go to the cargo place at the airport to confirm this because United is outsourcing their call center, so that's why I was on hold for 2 hours.

The only ray of light in this whole thing, is that they can ride in the same kennel. But who knows, right?! Maybe that will change next week too! UGH.

As of today: I drop off the rabbits at 2am. They go to Hawaii, spend the night, then fly to Chicago, and finally Atlanta.

:shock: I hope they make it....

What a hassle. I don't remember it being this complicated when we sent my grandparents dog to them.
Hoping everything gets figured out and it's a smooth trip.

How many bunnies do you have?
Can you not carry them on the plane with you? Or, is it different when you have to bring them from out of the country?
My mother in law works for United and I just texted her to ask. I'll see what she says, maybe she can help. Or, give some advice.

ugh, what a nightmare... hope you and your bunnies make it to your new home safe and sound.

with them being away that long and kenneled overnight, I would tape a care sheet to their carrier and make sure you can send extra hay and stuff with them so they've always got food available and can eat their normal diet while at the kennel.

Keep us updated Carrie. I hope everything goes well for you and your buns. I know I would be just as upset as you are.:hug:

whitelop wrote:
How many bunnies do you have?
Can you not carry them on the plane with you? Or, is it different when you have to bring them from out of the country?
My mother in law works for United and I just texted her to ask. I'll see what she says, maybe she can help. Or, give some advice.

It would be amazing if I could fly with them in-cabin, but it's one animal per person and I'm flying alone...plus the two of them couldn't fit in the tiny carrier you have to cram under the seat. Oh well. I'd LOVE to hear if your mother-in-law knows anything!

Yes, I definitely am sending extra food, hay, water bottle, maybe lettuce too, and an instruction sheet. It sounds like at the kennel, their little travel carrier will get cleaned out and they get fed and watered. My husband thinks the layover will actually be good for them, but I'd rather have them home quicker.

I am starting them on benebac before we leave and giving them a second full dosage when we get home, so hopefully their tummies can recover quickly.

I'll let you know how it goes....I think I will be more stressed out than they will :(

hehe, probably so. bunnies are pretty resilient and us bunny parents always worry and stress.

I almost had a panic attack just reading it! You must be so worried. I'm sure they will make it though. Otherwise, there will probably be a few hundred bunny lovers knocking on a lot of doors demanding a good answer for causing so much stress.

It's a really good thing you checked the reservations. Please keep us updated Hun.

I will be sending you good wishes. I just don't trust airlines with my precious. I understand your worry! Were it one rabbit you could take it as a carry-on. At least in the U.S. on certain airlines.

Any latest developments? They don't fly out for a few days yet, right?

Funny you should ask, Lisa.

The latest update? Their flight got changed, AGAIN! :grumpy: I was so close to just breaking down in the phone with the customer servie rep. Thankfully, this guy actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He gave me details about what their "rest" time in Hawaii entails, how they are cared for by Vet Techs, and just some more details about pet travel. He was comforting, but I am still a wreck.

I was so upset the other night, I was considering adopting them out so they wouldn't have to fly. But honestly, I feel like they will be better off even with the stress of flying, than staying on Guam. People just don't treat their animals like family here, and it breaks my heart.

Currently (and this better be the final flight schedule or I will literally blow a gasket) they leave on the 6:30am flight on the Oct. 9, and get in on Oct. 10 at 10pm.

I don't know if you guys are praying folks or if it's weird to pray for rabbits, but I will be flooding heaven with pleas those days!

I'll definetely be thinking of your buns!!!!! It didn't change that they can ride in the same carrier, right? I think it is so good they will be together. They will seek comfort from each other.

I wish I could offer some more encouraging words but I would be freaking out just like you. :( please let us know as soon as possible on the 10th how they are!!

:pray:

cwolfec wrote:
Thankfully, this guy actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He gave me details about what their "rest" time in Hawaii entails, how they are cared for by Vet Techs, and just some more details about pet travel. He was comforting, but I am still a wreck.
I'm glad they were able to give some details on the care they'll receive, that's gotta be somewhat reassuring! best of luck to you and your bunns!

Latest posts

Back