Third EyeLid Sticking Out of my bunny Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny:Skyzzo

Reaction score
Hello, so my bunny got smacked by my cat (i fell asleep and he went all rambo on him) tho it might have gone way worse, luckly the third EyeLid went in motion for parrying the blow but it's now sticking out of his eye, the rabbit didn't scream, nor seemed too scared,was just shaking his head with his eyelid stickin out...

Went to the vet and said that the eye is fine, and that i just have to appy TOBRADEX cream on his eye....

Tho this eyelid remains sticking out of his eye will it eventually fall? Or it's supposed to get cut

I should've been more careful i know.. tho they were livin together for months by now so i started to build som trust on my cats, but this one as**ole took the right moment

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-04_11-42-52.jpg
    photo_2021-02-04_11-42-52.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 9
  • photo_2021-02-04_11-42-50.jpg
    photo_2021-02-04_11-42-50.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 9
  • photo_2021-02-04_11-42-47.jpg
    photo_2021-02-04_11-42-47.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2021-02-04_11-42-43.jpg
    photo_2021-02-04_11-42-43.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 8
It could be infected. It could also be prolapsed and need surgery.

Cat scratches carry a lot of bacteria and can be deadly to rabbits. Eye ointment isn't going to be enough. The vet should have also put your rabbit on a systemic rabbit safe antibiotic, like baytril(enrofloxacin), as well as the anti inflammatory pain medication meloxicam/metacam. I would either phone your vet back and ask for antibiotics and meloxicam, or find a more experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to today. And I would do this immediately. I'm not overstating the urgency of getting your rabbit on antibiotics immediately. Cat scratches can be fatal. There are members on here that lost a rabbit due to a cat scratch getting infected.

Once your rabbit is on antibiotics. If it is infected, then hopefully the medications take effect and it fixes the problem. But if the third eyelid is damaged, that may require surgical intervention to stitch the eyelid back in place. Bur first, get your bun on antibiotics.

https://rabbit.org/italian-veterinary-listings/
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Took your advice and went to another Vet, he is now under Baytril, Soligental, Meloxidyl, Tobarex and artificial teardrops...

Tho the vet said surgery is needed, that piece of meat sticking out may be his lacrimal gland... if they'll not be able to put it back the eye will not survive sadly, so i'll have to lubricate it till his very last day.In order to prevent the eye from drying....

If that'll be the case i dunno if i can handle it, as much as i would i can't, sometimes i'm out for long periods of time, so no one can take care of him....

Without that gland he'll probably loose his eye...

Seen the situation i don't have any other options but to do this...

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2
He's fine now, he just had surgery and doctor said he's eating again and looking good

He had som problems before surgery cause his digestion had stopped bc of the pain, they needed to force feed him

Posted photo updates of the surgery in the GoFoundMe page i don't want to scare anyone here xd

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-16_11-27-12.jpg
    photo_2021-02-16_11-27-12.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back