Thinking of getting a new bunny after my bunny passed away!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella's mom

Reaction score
I’m sure many of you know we lost our precious Bella two weeks ago (tomorrow). I told my kids no more bunnies as I can’t take the pain. I’ve been in tears almost every day since we lost our 7 month old Bella to her spay surgery! I looked at the empty spot in my living room where Bella’s cage was. I realized I can’t live without a bunny!! I want to open my heart to a new bunny! My daughter said we should adopt from the Humane Society as they are neutered or spayed already! I feel guilty as I feel like we’re replacing Bella! I know it sounds stupid, I just think deep down in scared we’ll get attached to our new bunny and that we’ll go through this again. Have any of you gone through this and what did you do? Thanks so much!! Oxxo

I have to admit it was only a few weeks after my previous rabbit passed away that I got my current rabbit. I didn’t intend to, but was walking past the rabbit adoption window and fell in love. Having a new rabbit to focus on helps you to channel your grief - it doesn’t mean you’ve forgotten Bella, but it’s healthy to move on, and will really help you and your family, I think. And adopting from the humane society is a very good idea :)

You'd be honoring her memory by giving another bun a chance with a loving forever home. Over the years, we've rescued 47--some we placed in loving homes and others stayed with us. We do have quite a few "Bridge" entries, so we know quite well that it's not easy, but time lessens the sting even if it doesn't go away. I still have pics of our first little man that left for the bridge--I was inconsolable for weeks, but I still remember all the good times and how sweet he truly was.

As everyone has mentioned, you aren't replacing Bella, you're only providing a wonderful home for a new bunny that needs it!

@Popsicles , @Nancy McClelland and @lilnaugrim

Thanks so much my awesome friends! We are keeping our eyes open and we found a sweetheart Lionhead....we will be looking into adopting a precious fur baby soon. I think Bella would be happy! My family and I have so much love to offer! We’re looking into adopting a bun from the humane society! Thanks so much my wonderful friends for your kindness and support....means so much to me ❤️

I think it’s a great idea to get a new bunny. You will still have the thoughts of your previous bunny but you are filling that hole that came about when you lost your precious bunny. It is also a great opportunity to give that bunny a great home.

Your daughter has a good idea to get a rabbit that is already spayed or neutered. Almost all of mine have come from a rabbit rescue. Fixed rabbits have evident personalities so you pretty much get to see what you'll get when you meet them in person. (Baby personalities can change drastically.) This makes the choosing process itself a fun experience. You'll be glad you did. :)

I was in exactly your position a year ago--my sweet Lily that I had adopted from the SPCA ten years ago passed away from uterine cancer. I was devastated. She was my only pet and I am home alone a lot given my husband works a crazy job in law enforcement. I was SO alone and overcome with grief--I not only lost my only baby, but I lost a constant companion. My house became as quiet and empty as a morgue. She was also our "child" given we have been empty nesters for years and our other rabbits had passed. She helped my husband deal with his job too--said that petting her and talking to her before and after work helped him de-stress and cope with his demanding job. He was just about as devastated as I was. At first, he did not want another pet because he didn't want to go through the pain again. Lily was our favorite out of our other three rabbits we had which passed before her; she was just so sweet and special. It's one of the reasons I didn't spay her....her personality was perfect and I didn't want it to change. She was two years old when we adopted her and twelve when she passed so she did lead a very healthy and happy life. However, I swore the next rabbit I adopted would be spayed/neutered so reproductive organ cancer would not take them.

I waited a few weeks and my husband agreed to another bunny because he felt bad for me--and I think he wanted one too! I looked at DOZENS of rabbits online and Precious just stood out to me. I knew she was the one! Young but not a baby (eight months), spayed, litter box trained, and love-able. It was very important to adopt a love-bug bunny because my Lily was one. Precious came from a rabbit hoarder situation and she was rescued by a rabbit rescue. I met her and she took to me right away. She is a dwarf mix, full of energy and just a little thing (unlike my chunky lionhead mix, Lily)--but she's super sweet. NO regrets and she has fit into our lives perfectly. She even has two young guinea pig brothers now.

You'll love having another bunny. It really helped me out a lot. I know it's what Lily would have wanted as she was also a rescue as well. I only adopt rescues. No doubt, Bella would approve of you welcoming another bunny. Keep us posted and good luck! :)
My Lily below--RIP. 20748407_10210182820836057_4119316322350684889_o.jpg

We too lost our 8 month old Cuddles four days after her spay surgery. It was devastating and although two months have passed we still miss her very much and still tear up. We decided to get another bun a month after Cuddles passed. Havana Moonlight hasn't replaced Cuddles, but he is fun and has brought back giggles and love. My daughter wants him to be like Cuddles but they are very different personalities, not that one is better than the other, just different. Cuddles loved to cuddle and give kisses. Havana loves to play with balls and toys and occasionally cuddle. Cuddles will always be a part of us as we all knew when we added her to our family that she was one of a kind. Good luck in making your decision.

@Liz Talley @snugs206 ,
Thanks for your kindness and sweet words! Means so much to me! I’m sorry for the loss(es) you’ve endured! @Liz Talley your Lily is precious (I say is as they’re always alive in our hearts). I am glad you both were able to find comfort with new buns!! We found two beautiful boys! One is a Lionhead mix and the other is a dwarf mix! They are bonded so we’re looking into getting them both! They are both 7 month old neutered males and adorable! Bella will always be in our hearts and she’ll always be a part of our life! We miss her more than words can say but welcoming two new buns will help ease our hearts and help keep her precious memory alive! Thanks so much my beautiful friends ❤️

Latest posts

Back