Thinking of Changing Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys!

We're currently using CareFresh (not the white, just regular) bedding for both Bunny's bedding and her litter, but were thinking of trying ABM wood pellets. So, for my questions about changing things on my bun (since I hear and have witnessed all too often a bunny's pickiness about change):

- What brand do you guys recommend for wood pellets? Or...what characteristics should I look for in purchasing such for my bun?

- How do I switch her over to this? Do I mix the two, gradually increasing the wood pellets, until she's exclusively using the pellets? Or can I switch her all at once?

- As Bunny's litter-trained (at least for #1, if you catch my drift), we don't go through bedding too quickly, so we're not dying to switch brands on that from CareFresh...but should we use the pellets for her whole cage, or is it strictly a litter thing? Also, if we did want to switch to something cheaper, is there an alternative in the direction of how much cheaper the wood pellets are, as opposed to the CareFresh? (Hope that makes sense.)

- Another question (not directly related, but sorta)...since Bunny is so well litter trained, should I still purchase a container on the side of the cage for her hay? Or would it be okay to leave it in a pile on top of her bedding, since there isn't a danger of her eating peed-on hay (excuse the grossness of my terminology...lol)? Do bunnies really like those on-the-side-of-the-cage hay containers?? Or do they typically just take out a bunch and eat it off the floor? (I can see Bunny doing this.)

Thanks, guys!

Wood pellets...many people use the ones designed for horse stall bedding (Woody Pet seems to be the most popular). They're considered safe for rabbits because of the method in which they are processed (I believe no glues are used, and the oils from the wood are removed). As for cost, here in Canada a bag of horse bedding pellets seems to average around $7.99 for 40 lbs (in the US it's cheaper by two or three dollars).

If you plan on switching, then I'd definitely recommend doing a gradual replacement...mixing it with the Carefresh a bit at a time until bunny is used to it. (Since she's already litter trained, you don't want to discourage her from using the litter box.) Whether you use it to fill the entire cage or use a litter box is all personal preference, I think...for myself, I use litter boxes for my two rabbits.

As for hay, I know that some people do use it for the litter box. My personal preference is to use a hay rack...this way the rabbit isn't eating soiled hay; it remains clean. I believe most rabbits will eat hay from anything, so you shouldn't have any problems if you do opt for a hay rack. Just try to hang it so it is level with their chins...if it is too high the rabbits will be reaching up to get to the hay, and you could be risking infections from dust and hay particles falling into their eyes (and nose).

Hope this helps... :)

Thank you so much for your help! I'll use your advice in switching gradually. I would really like to continue using the CareFresh for bedding, but would like to find something of the same kind of material, but cheaper. Any ideas?

Thanks again! :)

Latest posts

Back