Thinking about a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMom

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting another bunny. I need to stick with the small breeds, due to limited space at my house. And I would like to get a doe.I'd like to know if anyone has any of the following and can give me some insight on their personality, behavior, etc. I've reading and seen some at shows, but I figured someone who actually owns one of these breeds would know best.

Here are the breeds I'm thinking about:

Britannia Petite
Dwarf Hotot
Havana
Himilayan
Tan

I already have a Mini Rex and a Mini Rex/Holland Lop mix, so those are also on my list, but I already have an idea of their personalities. Whoever I'd get would have to get along with these two.

Thanks for your help in my research!:)

BunnyMom wrote:
I'm thinking about getting another bunny. I need to stick with the small breeds, due to limited space at my house. And I would like to get a doe. I'd like to know if anyone has any of the following and can give me some insight on their personality, behavior, etc. I've done some reading and seen some at shows, but I figured someone who actually owns one of these breeds would know best.

Here are the breeds I'm thinking about:

Britannia Petite
Dwarf Hotot
Havana
Himilayan
Tan

I already have a Mini Rex and a Mini Rex/Holland Lop mix, so those are also on my list, but I already have an idea of their personalities. Whoever I'd get would have to get along with these two.

Thanks for your help in my research!:)

The Britannia Petite and Tan are extremely hyper rabbits that may be difficult to handle. The Dwarf Hotots can be prone to health issues. Havanas are a nice smaller breed,although the "king" of docile is the Himalayan.

You might also consider the Polish -- a big personality in a little package ;)

Other smaller breeds include the Netherland Dwarf, American Fuzzy Lop, Jersey Wooly, Florida White, and the Dutch.

Pam

Thanks, Pam!

I would LOVE to get a jersey wooly because I've recently started spinning and also because of Lissa's great stories about Lenci, but Scott is totally not keen on all the hair!:(

Those other breeds are great suggestions, though. Especially the Polish , knowing what a little doll that Tucker is!

:inlove:

Yup good advice so far.

Sorry this is a little off topic, but my friend has a holland lop cross who is two years old. Her sister is gray-brown and her dad was a holland lop (only known relatives).

I'm just wondering, I've read that it may take up to three years for her ears to turn lop? Is there any chance of this happening? Sometimes when she's resting her ears go half down and you can gently press one to one side and it would go down.
(normally here ears go not straight up but just a little loose)
??

BunnyMom wrote:
I would LOVE to get a jersey wooly because I've recently started spinning and also because of Lissa's great stories about Lenci, but Scott is totally not keen on all the hair!:(
I have an American Fuzzy Lop. He has a lot of hair, but sheds FAR less than my short-haired rabbits. He has LOTS of wool. I have to cut his hair about once a month.I just threw out a small waste basket full.

Laura

Carolyn, I love the Tucker collage!

Just remember, BunnyMom, you can't spin Polish fur!

You need AFL wool!

RabbitsOctober42005018.jpg

I love my AFL!!!

Hey Laura, very cute bunny! Does AFL stand for American Fuzzy Lop? I have thought about getting into Jersey Woolies and selling the wool I groom out of them, but I don't know if there would be a market for it. The angoras are cute, too, but I don't want to get into another big breed, LOL. Sorry, I'm rambling, aren't I? I'll be quiet now. :D

The problem with the Jersey Woolies is that the length of wool is only about 2 inches. You need to be experienced in spinning wool to spin that! My Jerseys do leave a lot of wool around. It sticks to the cage and the floor! However, they have great personalities! Mine are CLOWNS! ;)

Sharon

BunnyMom,

Would think that if you do want to spin, it would be best to start from the wool, ask other rabbit wool spinners what would be the best breed to start with, and go from there. No?

-Carolyn

I would love to get an angora, a jersey wooly and an AFL and just start my own business spinning all day.:) A few alpacas would be nice, too. And a romney lamb.

I haven't tried spinning the Yak fibers that I bought last week, so I'm not sure yet if I want one of those, too!:D

bluebird wrote:
I have a friend that spins she raises french angoras only. their wool is coarser and doen't matt as badly as the english angora.bluebird

French Angoras, huh? Does anyone on here have a French Angora? I will have to look those up. I don't spin personally, but I would be more than willing to put in the time brushing the bunnies and sell wool to someone who does, LOL. I will have to do some research and see if I could find a market for bunny wool.

gentle giants wrote:
I will have to look those up. I don't spin personally, but I would be more than willing to put in the time brushing the bunnies and sell wool to someone who does, LOL.

You'll need a $200 blower ;) Brushing the wool strips out the density and ruins the coat.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
[/quote]
You'll need a $200 blower ;) Brushing the wool strips out the density and ruins the coat.

Pam
[/quote]

Huh? How do you get the wool out of them, then? What is a blower? :shock:

Latest posts

Back