Think I've gone nuts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Well I'm slightly worried tonight as I've beenhearing this soft grunting sound everytime Pepsi moves around quicklyto come see me. I'm not sure if she's being territorial or somethingbut I've only noticed it these last few days. I think it's because I'vebeen taking showers in between play time with the two rabbits and Idon't smell like me. Or could it be troubles breathing? I tried my momand she didn't grunt when she came over to see so I really don't know.It sounded like a soft grumble in the back of her throat.

I think I also heard her sneeze tonight. It didn't sound like thesneeze someone described to me but the sound was sort of a quick noisethat sounded like when someone breaths out of their nose sharply. I wasturned the other way getting her some hay so I don't know where it camefrom. I'm going to watch her for a few hours tomorrow to see If I findanything.

Her nose is dry, eyes are dry, she's back to her normal self after shegot her claws ripped out, her appetite is fantastic, she's drinkingnormal and being her normal self. Everything is normal and if you sawher you wouldn't think anything was wrong.

I know this'll probably sound stupid to some people but I over worry.On Friday I would have Pebbles, my new lionhead for 4 weeks.Everythings fine with Pebbles although occasionally it looks like hernose is wet and sometimes is a tiny bit around but I never see itnoticably wet or running. She has a bit of sleep in her eyes but hereyes aren't running and she's an active little thing. I've never hadthem itnroduced and am very carefull to wash before handling them. Ifshe doesn't have something, the only way I could think that Pepsi couldhave gotten it is the first day I pet Pebbles then let Pepsi sniff myhand and took a handfull of alfalfa hay about a week ago to give as atreat to Pepsi. Those are the only even near contact they've had. Isthis enough for Pepsi to get "snuffles?"

I'm so sorry it's so long just when I start typing I don't know how toword it to make it shorter! So much information to give. I'm justwondering if I just need to relax or what? Also does anyone know howmuch around a culture and sensitivity test costs?

Yes, you over worry! You're worse thanme!! (And I didn't think that was possible). Justrelax and enjoy your twohealthy little bunnies.:)

Your bunny loves you, that's all the grunts mean. (She doesn't love your mother).

And some breeds have goopier eyes than others. I always have to clean Pipp's eyes, and sometimes her nose is wet.

And she's VERY territorial, started grunting up a storm when I got bunny #3.

sas :) and pipp :bunnydance:

Ok thanks! It's just that she's my baby and evenif the slightest thing is wrong or changed I asume the worst. I guessit's a bad trait I have but atleast I'll have healthy rabbits (even ifmy mental health does get a bit harmed in the process :D)!

Good thing I have my mom to bring me back to reality or I'd be so far in the whole with money from vet visits!

:bunnynurse

I over worry also so its a relief to see thatothers do too so don't worry about it Spring. I think that she's OKtoo. I think that you just had a horrible experience when that otherbunny died quickly :(

It helps posting and talking with otherpeoplewho fret about their rabbits too. What do you guys dowhen you are worried and in a panic? I hold my arms out and put myhands behind my head. It sound weird but it calms me down and makes methink clearer. My mom said it helps open up your lungs or something soyou think clearedr because you have more oxygen?

If Pebbles had something that with life threatening and gave it toPepsi I don't know what I'd do. Loosing two rabbits because you broughta new one home. I'd never own a rabbit again and never forgive myself!That's why I think I started worrying about it so much because thatwould be my worst nightmare. Just theninknig the worst of a sitatuiondrives me crazy!

glad to see im not the only one that worries tomuch sometimes...lol...i think all bunny owners over worrysometimes...we just love them to much to have anything happen to them:D

Before I joined this forum I wouldobsess about what I was worried about to my husband, my mom, or my bestfriend in Ill. (who also has 6 rabbits). My husband would eventuallyget disgusted with me because I go on and on and on........,my momwould be really nice and patient but since she knows nothing aboutrabbits she couldn't help me, my best friend would understand as she isexactly like me so I would call her constantly and talk about theproblem and what should I do. Since I joined this forum I run to thecomputer and post the problem and usually get really knowlegeableanswers within minutes. This forum proved itself to me the Sun. in Decthat two of my males had a terrible fight and one of them went intoshock and then into stasis. This forum saved his life as it took weeksof trearment to get him back to normal. Thank you RO:inlove:

I have that problem too. My mom looses patienceafter a while of this and just tells me not to worry. I sometimes phonemy cousin when I'm really worried but she doesnt' fret about herrabbits and she's never had a problem so I think I just need a few gooddeep breaths!

This site is awesome like you said it has so many people who know a ton of about rabbits and with usefull information!

I over-worry a bit too. I'll berandomly reading on the interwebs, and come across an article onsomething like snuffles or mtocytoxin poisoning, and for the next whileI'll be watching my buns for any signs of sneezing or runnynoses. Snuffles has been a problem with a breeder in town,and she had to put a bunch of her buns down. I even took mybuns with me when we took the puppy to get his shots, so that I couldget them swabbed for snuffles. His shipment of the tubeythingers with swabs in them was really late, so he was only able to doone bun, Zorro. He'll call later when he has moretubes. I was worried that the puppy might try and eat my bunson the carride, but puppy could give a **** about the buns and sat inthe back seat whining. The buns did bond to me though, theyboth love me extra much after that experience. I'll keep itin mind that they don't like car rides when the time comes to bond them.

You can tell I'm tired - I'm ranting :p.

When my buns are running around (they run seperatly) theydon't grunt. When I stand up, and they run around me, theygrunt. If I'm on the floor, they'll come up and sniff inbetween grunts. It's so adorable! Grunty circleybuns!

I think that snuffles could be more likely in alarge group of rabbits as it would spread from one to the other..atleast you will know for sure about Zorro (I bet he's fine) :)

Spring wrote:
Well I'm slightly worried tonight as I've been hearing thissoft grunting sound everytime Pepsi moves around quickly to come seeme. I'm not sure if she's being territorial or something but I've onlynoticed it these last few days. I think it's because I've been takingshowers in between play time with the two rabbits and I don't smelllike me. Or could it be troubles breathing? I tried my mom and shedidn't grunt when she came over to see so I really don't know. Itsounded like a soft grumble in the back of her throat.

Inever knew rabbits made any noise until I heard Bub (and his dad before him) hold entire conversations with me.

"Hmmmm uh uh whuff whuff UMMMMM UUUUUHHHH huh huh humph humph HUMPHUHHUMPH!"

Both males and females grunt--females often do it when you are tryingto take something out of the cage, and males usually do it when theyget excited or smell "WOMAN". Bub's gruntsounds deep, likeit's coming from his chest, and he makes a long rambling conversationout of it. The angry grunt of a female is short and sharp, withkindof a snort like a mad bull. Myparticularfemales haven't been talkers unless they aremad.;)The boy Palominos make a LOT of funny noises, all thetime.

Your other new lionhead sounds fine. The little wetness is probablynormal, from what you describe. 4 wks of quarantine is good. I'm notsure what the standard is, but mine is usually 2-3 wks. I suppose 6wks. to be even safer, but usually by then you know if something'swrong.:)

Rose

P.S. I remember, speakingof scary noises, nearly having aheart attack when Bub discovered that screaming got my attentiondouble-quick. Usually rabbits only scream in life-threateningsituations, but Bub thought it was just too funny to make me comerunning. He'd just sit there and give an ear-splitting shriek, thenlook like "who me?". I tell you,I could have strangled thelittle stinker!:D

ROFL!!! Some people don't say rabbits know, butthey do! Sometimes I'll be cleaning up her food cart on the otehr sideof the room and Pepsi'll do a big thump and come runningtothe front of hercage wanting attention.

It's been over four weeks since I've got her but I'm still a bitnervous. Pepsi drew blood for the first time today. I was so upset.. Iwent to go pet her because she hadn't came to the door when I opened itand lunged and broke skin on my finger and then stomped. I talked toher from outside the cage and she just stomped again and ran into herbox in the downstairs floor of her cage.She's never EVER broken skinlet alone biten on purpose, just love nips. Even through her teenageyears! I don't think she could have smelt Pebbles on me since it'd been6 hours since I'd been with Pebbles (School). Any in put on this?

I think during stressfull situations Pebbles nose gets wet. Because Ihad her out and was combing some fur clumps from her mane and had tocut a few knots from her behind and mane and she was breathing heavyand her nose was damp but an hour after I put her back her nose wasdry. This explains a lot - her first couple of days, wen I first heldher, changing her bedding in her cage all led to damp nose. Is thisnormal?

I'm a little worried about Pepsi espicially if I wanted to introducethem. She seems to have changed these last couple of weeks. She isn'tas friendly and I'm shocked from the bite! She isn't territorialbecause she's been with another rabbit and she had no problem and nevershowed any acts of aggresion.

Spring wrote:
I'm a little worried about Pepsi espicially if I wanted tointroduce them. She seems to have changed these last couple of weeks.She isn't as friendly and I'm shocked from the bite! She isn'tterritorial because she's been with another rabbit and she had noproblem and never showed any acts of aggresion.

Tis the season. Sigh. All mine get a little wingy in spring--theyaren't spayed or neutered, so it's a drastic difference. It's somethingabout weather changing, and those vague feelings of wanting a mate--orin Bub's case, those strong and well-defined feelings of NEEDING AWOMAN!

She can probably smell your new bun across the room, at any rate.Territoriality in females, even when not aggravated by the presence ofanother animal, is pretty common.

The other thing I noticed, which was really weird, is that Bub's dadattacked my little brother but NEVER me. My female attacked me. It wasstrange how thesex of the owner plays into how they interactwith people. Bub's sister went through a lunging and biting phase too.Usually I get on better with the boys, although I have had some reallysweet girls also.

Sudden aggression is a tough one to figure out, but it's important notto take it personally. They are like babies--not a lot of reasoningbehind their actions.:)Hopefully there will be some clue towhy she's doing it!

Rose

Thanks! I Think she was feeling a bit offyesterday because she didn't eat her pellets from the morning and I hadto annoy her by waving vegetables in her face to get her to touch them.She hadn't eaten her vegetables this morning which are usually gone ahalf hour after I'd put them in. But I think she's feeling betterbecause as soon as I put hay in there she immediately started eating itwith pellets. She came up for a cuddle too so that's good! :)

Latest posts

Back