Things they can chew on

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjulezTomAndFranky

Reaction score
Franky has started destroying his cage by chewing on it! What can we give him he can chew on instead? I'm not sure if that'll stop him from destroying the cage, but it might help just a little bit...
He's still quite young. 9 weeks now.
Thanks for your answers :)

Hah! I found my bunny Mimzy when he was younger would chew his bars because he`d want let out! Once I let him out he would stop of course. He wasn't really into playing with toys at all. But he had a lot of wood toys, cardboard, toliet paper rolls, a treat ball would really distract him as long as treats were in it, baby keys, and those toys that dangle from the side of the cage. I suggest making a toy out of cardboard and stuff it with treats and hay so he has to work to get to it so it'll distract him for awhile!

He only really got into playing with toys in the past month (he is 6 months old now) and it turns out he has malocclusion which I think was part of the reason he chewed his bars. Maybe you could check his teeth and see if they're healthy?

Hah! I found my bunny Mimzy when he was younger would chew his bars because he`d want let out! Once I let him out he would stop of course. He wasn't really into playing with toys at all. But he had a lot of wood toys, cardboard, toliet paper rolls, a treat ball would really distract him as long as treats were in it, baby keys, and those toys that dangle from the side of the cage. I suggest making a toy out of cardboard and stuff it with treats and hay so he has to work to get to it so it'll distract him for awhile!

He only really got into playing with toys in the past month (he is 6 months old now) and it turns out he has malocclusion which I think was part of the reason he chewed his bars. Maybe you could check his teeth and see if they're healthy?

Okay thanks... What happens/what do they look like if he has malocclusion?
Actually, I believe he's also chewing hte bars when he wants out because he never does so when his cage is open. But then he also chewed on a book before, and started chewing on my shoe.. and plastic.
So cardboard is fine? I mean, it's not bad for his health or anything?

cardboard is fine, just make sure there isn't any print or ink on it ...

my bun ( borderline Charlie ) at time(s) chew(s) on the bar(s) also. he just wants out to push everything to the border ( mis-behaving ). but gotta love him =0)

You could always crumple a few pieces of paper and make little paper balls- it's a big hit with my bun. Also if you fold a piece of paper like a book (hamburger then hotdog or VV) and they destroy them like it did your book!

Okay thanks... What happens/what do they look like if he has malocclusion?
Actually, I believe he's also chewing hte bars when he wants out because he never does so when his cage is open. But then he also chewed on a book before, and started chewing on my shoe.. and plastic.
So cardboard is fine? I mean, it's not bad for his health or anything?

Google malocclusion in rabbits images. It's hard to describe well. Basically his teeth will be either not aligned OR his top or bottom teeth will be too long. If it is this, you will need to go in to get his teeth trimmed every month or two.

It's more common in certain breeds. I think lops are prone to it as well as netherland dwarfs. I have 2 lops and only one has it. So it's just bad luck or genetics :(

And yeah anything wood or cardboard they'll love! It's safe. I got my bunnies a wooden ikea bed and I think they like chewing on it much more than laying on it. :D

We've gottten him a wooden toy and a chewing stone!
This still didn't stop him from chewing on our tv cable! He almost went all through it, dangerous huh!! I mean, Dangerous for Franky. Would he get an electric shock if he accomplishes his 'mission'?
Either way, that cable should be unreachable now.. but he's getting more creative every day!
Anyway, Thanks for all the answers, guys :)
I really feel like making him smth out of cardboard at one point..

When my buns are chewing there cage I give them a toliet roll and I put oaten hay in the middle of it, this works wonders. Also I give them cardboard and wood chews

Latest posts

Back