Things that my bun likes to eat and i don't know if they're safe or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie.k2002

Reaction score
Maggie is a Dutch rabbit around 5 months old. He liked bread since when he was a baby and still does. I feed him a very little bit of bread once in while. I feel bad to take away what he loves. They're like very special treats to him.
And one day while i was sitting and eating these fruits candies. He came in and took a lemon candy and started to lick. I let him enjoy for a bit and took it away. I don't know if that's safe. And can i feed him candy once in awhile too ? He looked so happy. I feel bad to take it away.

He would be much happier having a treat that's more healthy for him :) . Sometimes, a rabbit (or any animal) will enjoy something, but because it's not good for them, it can damage them immediately (ex. toxic for their health, cause gas/discomfort...). It can also damage them long-term (ex. having too much access to sugar may lead to becoming over weight, leading to other health issues).

It's hard, but rabbit owners do need to learn discipline with their rabbits, in terms of letting the rabbits eat only what's good for them, and make sure treats are 1) safe and 2) given in appropriate quantities.

I think he'd be much happier immediately and long-term if you kept treats to being purely fruit, whether it's fresh or dried, and those that are considered safe for rabbits. Other candies may have harmful dyes, very high levels of sugar, and also things inside that don't affect us, but affect them.

You can also think about it this way -- Rabbits are hardwired, in terms of survival, to prefer certain things -- the best piece of hay, non-moldy vegetables... and so your rabbit may eat candy (which you shouldn't let him, let me be clear), but he personally and biologically may actually like a piece of strawberry or banana much better than a processed human candy.

Stick to natural treats; not human ones.

He would be much happier having a treat that's more healthy for him :) . Sometimes, a rabbit (or any animal) will enjoy something, but because it's not good for them, it can damage them immediately (ex. toxic for their health, cause gas/discomfort...). It can also damage them long-term (ex. having too much access to sugar may lead to becoming over weight, leading to other health issues).

It's hard, but rabbit owners do need to learn discipline with their rabbits, in terms of letting the rabbits eat only what's good for them, and make sure treats are 1) safe and 2) given in appropriate quantities.

I think he'd be much happier immediately and long-term if you kept treats to being purely fruit, whether it's fresh or dried, and those that are considered safe for rabbits. Other candies may have harmful dyes, very high levels of sugar, and also things inside that don't affect us, but affect them.

You can also think about it this way -- Rabbits are hardwired, in terms of survival, to prefer certain things -- the best piece of hay, non-moldy vegetables... and so your rabbit may eat candy (which you shouldn't let him, let me be clear), but he personally and biologically may actually like a piece of strawberry or banana much better than a processed human candy.

Stick to natural treats; not human ones.
Oh, thank you so much for your information. I always felt bad about not giving him what he wants but you're right i should stop.
I live with my parents and they don't usually listen to what i say. My dad feeds him too many treats when I'm not around or my mum gives him a lot of leafy greens that will make Maggie to not eat hay as much as a rabbit should. It's difficult taking care of another life while my own life is in care of someone else. But I'll try. Again, thank you so much :)

It can be difficult sticking to best-care practices when not everyone is on the same page. One suggestion is trying to involve your parents in your learning process, even if it's a pretend "Oh! You know, I read something interesting online today...". I find parents are more understanding and feel more comfortable *admitting what they're doing is not good/changing what they're currently doing* if they can be part of the learning process.

Rabbits are not easy to take care of, and it'll be very important that you and your parents are on the same page. Unfortunately, there are many sad stories of rabbits having shorter life spans or being rehomed because the parents and child couldn't really agree on what was best for the rabbit.

I recommend looking at https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/Default.aspx and going through the categories with your parents, whether that's asking them to read through a section per day with you, like: "You can make sure I'm taking care of my rabbit the best way possible.", or maybe printing out a sheet or two at a time, and going through it with them casually, having them realize that they may not be doing the best practices.

Another tactic/suggestion (sounds very diabolical, thinking of ways to persuade parents, haha), and telling them about "Wow, I heard someone's rabbit got a stomach ache from an unhealthy diet and they had to pay over $500 to get it treated.".. and that does happen, and it actually is usually more than $500, but when you use a huge figure like $1000+ for rabbits, a lot of people think it's an exaggeration or really special case. Mainly, you want to portray the idea that maintaining good care-habits now will prevent those expensive expenses that can happen after a build-up of sub-standard care.

Have you and your parents talked about having a rabbit-experienced veterinarian yet? You will need one. Rabbits cannot see a normal vet; it's kind of like bringing a pig to a human doctor -- they wouldn't know what to do, and what they think might be best could be very dangerous for the pig (or rabbit).

It can be difficult sticking to best-care practices when not everyone is on the same page. One suggestion is trying to involve your parents in your learning process, even if it's a pretend "Oh! You know, I read something interesting online today...". I find parents are more understanding and feel more comfortable *admitting what they're doing is not good/changing what they're currently doing* if they can be part of the learning process.

Rabbits are not easy to take care of, and it'll be very important that you and your parents are on the same page. Unfortunately, there are many sad stories of rabbits having shorter life spans or being rehomed because the parents and child couldn't really agree on what was best for the rabbit.

I recommend looking at https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/Default.aspx and going through the categories with your parents, whether that's asking them to read through a section per day with you, like: "You can make sure I'm taking care of my rabbit the best way possible.", or maybe printing out a sheet or two at a time, and going through it with them casually, having them realize that they may not be doing the best practices.

Another tactic/suggestion (sounds very diabolical, thinking of ways to persuade parents, haha), and telling them about "Wow, I heard someone's rabbit got a stomach ache from an unhealthy diet and they had to pay over $500 to get it treated.".. and that does happen, and it actually is usually more than $500, but when you use a huge figure like $1000+ for rabbits, a lot of people think it's an exaggeration or really special case. Mainly, you want to portray the idea that maintaining good care-habits now will prevent those expensive expenses that can happen after a build-up of sub-standard care.

Have you and your parents talked about having a rabbit-experienced veterinarian yet? You will need one. Rabbits cannot see a normal vet; it's kind of like bringing a pig to a human doctor -- they wouldn't know what to do, and what they think might be best could be very dangerous for the pig (or rabbit).
I can get my parents to be more careful but sadly, i live in a country that doesn't have many things available. Vets that specifically work on rabbits are very very difficult, almost impossible to find. But i tried and found the best vet i could. Maggie had mites for about 2 months and this vet helped him so much. I'm trying to get him the best foods, treats, toys and litter products as i can. With the terrible economy problem in iran (where i live) the prices of everything goes higher and higher eveyday. For now he's fine, i make him toys with anything i can find. I prepare hay and healthy pellets and the greens he's supposed to get. I'm hoping he gets to be happy.
Can i take him outside, like to a park without a harness? Or should I get him one?

Making toys with whatever you can find is perfect! A lot of rabbit owners find they buy toys and such for their rabbits, but they don't interact with them at all. All my rabbit's toys are cardboard tubes, like those from a toilet paper roll, and I cut it up and hide food inside.

It's good that you found the best vet possible and you have an established relationship so far.

In terms of going outside, if it's in a location that's covered/free of predatory birds (they may literally swoop down and take him), and it's an area that's enclosed and you can really get a good handle on him if something happened, it is OK. Some people do get harnesses for their rabbits to take them outside and such, but you'll need to weigh the risks for your own rabbit. For example, my rabbit gets stressed around other people, so the experience would not be enjoyable for him. Also, rabbits who easily frighten may bolt very suddenly at noises outside, and sometimes harnesses act as a snapping point unfortunately and rabbits may harm themselves in the process of running. Outdoor simulation can be good, but you'd really want full control of the environment, as well as a relationship where your rabbit would feel comfortable if you had to go up to him and get him out quickly.

Latest posts

Back