Things I have learned as a bunny mum in 12+ years

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky4eva

Reaction score
These are some of the veterinary facts and dietary facts I have learned through my personal experience as a bunny mum down under in my over 12 and a bit years.

1. Does that aren't spayed by around age 1 have an increased risk 80-85% chance of developing ovarian or uterine cancer than ones that are. My female doe that was 7 passed away from this, after being spayed 5 months before at age 6.5 and being diagnosed with a large uterine tumour.

2. Too high a diet in calcium can cause not only white coloured urine and bladder sludge, but with a consistent diet of same....renal or kidney failure and can be fatal. For this reason, high calcium foods should be watched and moderated.

3. High calcium hays and based pellets include: alfalfa, clover, lucene. There is a very good extensive list of high calcium foods which are SAFE to be fed in moderation and rotated (remember I am no expert, this is only from my personal experience) on various sites (house rabbit Society). Ie: rocket (cilantro), parsley, brocolli, dandelion, silverbeet, spinach, cress, kale, etc.

4. Also need to be aware when feeding of Oxiates that can accumulate in body from veggies such as silverbeet, spinach, kale, fennel etc. Also too much sugar in diet from carrots and fruit for eg. can play havoc with the gut.

5. The best thing I have found is try to feed as much as a variety as possible, though I must admit that my furbabies do tend to "thump their back legs" if they don't get what they like. Especially their small pieces of parsnip and carrot.

6. I hand pick a bit of fresh grass for them as I am able, that is not sprayed. 4 of them are not super fussy and get general rye grass which is HIGH FIBRE, LOW PROTEIN, LOW calcium the perfect combo. No. 5 is affectionately named "Mr fussy" as he will only eat a certain type of tall rye grass or turns his nose up.

7. If one of my buns seems the slightest bit off his/her food in anyway over a six hour period or is acting differently, I don't let it go. I start examining them gently. Feeling their stomach, always on the lookout for their faecal output. If they are showing no signs of pooing or eating I am intervening by syringe feeding critical care. I will do so every 4-6 hours continually until they come right, or until I can get them into see my rabbit savvy vet. I do not wait around to see if it gets better. I intervene. Time is of essence.

8. Things I always have on hand:

- critical care powder
- feeding syringes
- infacol or baby wind drops or simethecone
- zantac
- maxalon (rarely use. .only under guidance of vet. Can cause bowel perforation if bowel obstruction)
- Metacam (anti-inflammatory)
- temgesic (opiod) (have some left from post bun surgery b4 not used)
- s/c fluids, 19g needle and 60ml/cc syringe to give them in case of shock for hypovolenic replacement
- my after hrs vet no. on speed dial and another one on speed dial
- warming blanket

9. Vaccinations are imperative here in Australia. As the government releases both strains of Calci virus and Myxomatosis virus to irradiate the uncontrolled wild rabbit population. And get this....they allow us rabbit parents to vaccinate against the Calci BUT NOT against the myxo. There is no myxo vaccine currently available in Australia!!!!! Because the government feels it would affect wild rabbit irradifaction. Makes us so angry.
As both are mosquito borne, both are imperative. I have 3 rabbits outside in runs and 2 house rabbits. They are all vaccinated, I have a bug zapper and do whatever else I can to repel mosquitoes. Apparently Rhodendron trees are one of the most repellent trees, top 3 on nospray.org and I have that.

10. Try to give your bun as much free roam time as possible, whilst keeping him/her safe. Most of us on here are great rabbit parents and have wised up from the old fashioned view of rabbits in cages. That was just for the horrible meat trade. More movement for bun = more Binky = more gut motility= more Binky = less stasis = more Binky. And let's face it.....who doesn't want and need more Binky in their life!!!!!?! I know I do.

Can't think of much all for now. Sorry it is long winded. I am not an expert, just a registered nurse, Bunny mum from down under who has loved the 10 buns she has had the privilege of sharing her life with over a twelve and a bit year period. Currently have 5.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of my Thumpa who lived to a ripe old age of 11 years and 3 months and who passed away on the 3rd March 2019 and is pictured below with me. There will always be an extra special place in my heart for him, until we meet at the again.

Attachments

• IMAG1023-1.jpg
    IMAG1023-1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 14
May Thumpa rest in peace! I can tell he was well-loved by his bunny momma. :)
These are great tips for those who are just starting out (like me). I've had Trixie for about 3 months now and I'm still learning things about her and rabbits in general but so far so good! I've learned even more since I've found this forum.

dang that vaccination stuff is crazy i dont think any rabbit vaccines exist at all in the US

Not sure about the USA. Do you even have those viruses over there????

The government uses them here to control wild rabbits as rabbits are NOT NATIVE to Australia. Introduced here by the British in the 1800s during settlement (along with foxes) (which the state I live in Tasmania, doesn't have the latter, but certainly has wild rabbits) for hunting 'fun'among other animals.
dang that vaccination stuff is crazy i dont think any rabbit vaccines exist at all in the US

We are all ALWAYS LEARNING.
never stop as bun parents. Xo
May Thumpa rest in peace! I can tell he was well-loved by his bunny momma. :)
These are great tips for those who are just starting out (like me). I've had Trixie for about 3 months now and I'm still learning things about her and rabbits in general but so far so good! I've learned even more since I've found this forum.

Not sure about the USA. Do you even have those viruses over there????

It is very rare (but not completely unheard of) for a rabbit to contract myxo here in the US. The few rare cases tend to be in the NW (Oregon, California coast). There is not any vaccine for that available in the US (at least not readily as far as I'm aware).

The US wild rabbit population are cottontails. We also have hares (jackrabbits are actually hares). Neither are affected by VHD.

Domestic rabbits here are from a different species than our native rabbits. Our domestic rabbits are European rabbits [Oryctolagus cuniculus] (which I believe is the same rabbit introduced into Australia??) Domestic rabbits cannot successfully breed with our wild rabbits.

So neither the viruses (to speak of) are an issue here. No vaccines required.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back