There were stuck kits in my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaja

Reaction score
There were stuck kit inside rabbit. After that i took her to the vet. They injected oxytocin and antibiotics. After that she gave birth to 2 dead kits. But they were deformed. Now she is fine. Eating and drinking normally. But there were white discharge with the urine. Why is that? Is it a result of oxytocin? Any guesses?

Just guessing here, but maybe she had some bladder sludge that got losend and came out after this ordeal. That would be excess calcium that got deposited in the past.

How old is she, and how did the pee look like, did the white stuff settle, was it mixed in evenly, or where there strands or clumps?

What is her diet? If you are not used to see white stuff setting in bunny pee it might be that that her food is low on calcium - which is not bad normally, but they need quite some calcium to grow the kits bones, and a low level can cause birthing problems because it is needed for the muscles to work properly. If you come into that situation again you can give the doe a Tums (or whatever similar is available where you live), I made cookies from oatmeal, soaked pellets and finely ground egg shells for that purpose.

Good that she's eating fine now, keep an eye on her in- and output, but I don't think this is something to be alarmed about right now.

She is 10 months old. She is eating water spinach, grasses and some vegetables. The discharge is semi solid and white in colour. But she is not active as before.

How long ago did this happen? If it's just 1 or 2 days that wouldn't be a surprise.
Sounds like it really could have been bladder sludge, keep an eye on her pee, that she pees regularily. Not being active, sitting hunched up can be a sign of pain, if she has trouble peeing or is in pain I would ask the vet about it, not that something like bladder stones got stuck.

Green stuff is good for ingesting enough water, I would feed more grass and less veggies and spinach (I don't know what water spinach is exactly, normal is spinach is rather high in calcium)

Most important thing is that she's eating, drinking and pooping.

Is she still on antibiotics, do you know which one was used?

It happend 4 days ago. She pees regularly and eating well. I don't know the name of the antibiotic. Is it a sign of any infection?

I don't know. Does the pee always look the same, and is the white stuff seperated right away, or does it settle? It could just be excess calcium, and quite normal then. Is there any unusual smell when the pee is fresh? (Gosh, the questions we ask here, couldn't tell anyone in real life about that :D )
Not sure about being less active either, it could be still the aftermath of that ordeal, but most important thing now is that she eats and drinks fine. Watch out for signs of pain anyway.

It sounds like she may have developed a uterine infection. You need to contact your vet immediately. She needs aggressive treatment with the proper antibiotic if it is an infection. The antibiotic given previously may have been short acting and is no longer effective, or may not be effective against the bacteria present. Save a sample of the white discharge and bring it to the vet with your rabbit so they can determine what it is.

I can reach the vet on Tuesday. I called him and asked. He suggests surgery to remove the womb. But can it be cure with antibiotics?

As JBun said, it would need the right antibiotics, right dose and given long enough. A single dose doesn't do it. There's no guarantee that it will work, and that you'll have to wait until Tuesday definitly isn't good either.
It's impossible to give an exact diagnosis or even prognosis online, we can't do that, all we can do is point out things.
Did you plan to breed her again?

I didn't plan about the breeding. But i am afraid to do the surgery as it has risk.

Yes, but right now it could very well be the lesser of two evils, a ravaging infection can end badly too. Anyway, have a talk with the vet about what he thinks about the two options, if it is really an infection. Do as Jbun said and gather some of the stuff, I would keep it in the fridge.

Would be a sign for an infection. But how do you measure her temperature, and how high is it (they normally have a higher temperature than humans anyway).

Latest posts

Back